• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

I see you make not only wider networks, but also narrower networks. How about a 4-lane maxis highway? It's insane that Maxis-highways are always 6 lanes wide, not wider, not narrower.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

Shadow Assassin did at one point a while back, 4 lane asphalt re-texture work with the Maxis highways.

MandelSoft

I thought I saw that quite a while ago (it was called the UHW), but I never heard about it since then. What happened with it? Obviously was SA working on other projects, like the RHW.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Quote from: mrtnrln on July 12, 2008, 09:25:06 AM
I thought I saw that quite a while ago (it was called the UHW), but I never heard about it since then. What happened with it? Obviously was SA working on other projects, like the RHW.

That's largely what happened with it--the UHW has been on the backburner for some time now.  It was actually intended as a full-on Maxis Highway replacement with new paths (not a separate network).  Maxis' original prototype for their Highway networks was a 2-lane setup--in fact, some of the textures from this are still in the .dat files that come with the game. 

There aren't plans to make the two co-exist, either.  Starter Piece Overrides for 2-tile networks are an entirely different animal.  They are by and large very inflexible networks from what I've seen, which is why all the RHW and NWM networks are based on 1-tile networks--there's more you can do with them.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 11, 2008, 09:49:01 PM
Me? No. I don't want my soul sucked out by EA. ;)

Same here.  ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Edgware

are the wider networks going to have higher speed limits?
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

Tarkus

Quote from: Edgware on July 15, 2008, 04:13:11 PM
are the wider networks going to have higher speed limits?

Well, technically speaking, no.  They're based on the Road and OWR networks, so they'll have the same speed and some whole number multiple of the capacity of those networks.  When the SPM (Signage Piece Mod) is released, though, you'll be able to post whatever speed limit on them.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Edgware

is that going to be based on puzzle pieces or are they going to take up entire tiles with a single sign?
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

j-dub

Edgware

yeah I found the thread right after I asked that.  looks cool, can't wait
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

Shadow Assassin

Well, the MAVE is shaping up nicely. I changed the line in the middle to a double white line [I'll do the American version... eventually... but since I'm not from America, it'll probably be a while before I get around to it. :P]

edit: I forgot to mention that I've added some single-sided street functionality - that is, you can drag a street into one side just like with a normal avenue.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

rushman5

The MAVE looks amazing, and I'll take the white line, we some in the states ;)

j-dub

Where in the states is there a white line Mave?

rushman5

Baltimore, MD homes!  But your right it is rarein the US and a yellow line version is anticipated, at least by me.

bat

That is looking really nice there, SA! Nice work on the MAVE!

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

deathtopumpkins

Excellent progress! Those are sorely needed by me...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

SamJam

This week is the first time in several months that I've gotten back into the SimSwing of things (long boring story). Although I was looking forward to all the advancements of some projects (particularly the RHW and OWR-5) I had no idea this is what I would come back to. My congratulations and thanks go out to all the hard-working developers and incredible visionaries that are making this possible... you guys are doing a phenomenal job to say the least! My only gripe, if you could call it that, is that all these amazing additions to the game will make it so addictive that I'll find myself playing 25 hours a day, 8 days a week.

The MAVE is really the one giant change to the road network I wanted to see immediately after I bought the game, and to see it in development now almost brings a tear to my eye. It seems simple in comparison to the other great additions but it helps a lot of us to see the true scope of what is being done here. You guys--all the developers--are bringing a lot of happiness into many people's liesurely lives and it means more to us than perhaps you realize. Thank you all so much for your dedication to this game and helping to make it what we all wanted it to be from the very beginning!
&apls

cape44

hi SA!
Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 26, 2008, 07:52:31 AM

Very nice Work! :thumbsup: Can you tell me where did you find the parking set (Lot?) on the top of this picture?
thks!
- cape44
My first tutorial on TSC.com Beware in french language!

Have a look at the NAM Thread ==>  NWM
My région : San Francisco & suburb... coming soon on tsc.com

JoeST

cape44, they are Casper's lots

and its still looking awesome ;D

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

CasperVg

Actually, they are not my lots  ::)
I'm not completely sure, but I think it's the BLaM Parking Lot (Set) by Pat

Anyhow, very nice and interesting developments here!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube