• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

Quote from: Shadow AssassinAs for turning lanes - yes, chances are that'll be done in the future. Except, well, I'll have to make the median like a normal avenue [which is fine anyway], and it can fit within the two tiles necessary.
If you only mean the turning lane in the middle, wouldn't you just convert the Mave to a regular avenue 3 tiles before the intersection using the transition piece, and then just go back to the Mave 3 tiles afterward without doing the extra modding work?

MandelSoft

Why not a outside turning lane for the MAVE? This is common on Dutch (seperated) Avenues.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

mrtnrln, your suggestion is also possible.  Heck, slip lanes are possible, too. 

What SA and I have been talking about for the turn lanes on the MAVEs is some sort of optional set up.  jplumbley and I have discussed a similar thing for the TLAs as well.  The default intersection you would draw would be without turn lanes.  A possible setup for the turn lanes would involve either a setup like the new RTL Plugin (length-wise), or some sort of "cross-intersection" (width-wise) just before the actual intersection, to initiate the override.  In theory, there are 3 other networks that can be used for creating the length-wise override method.  Since SA is using the OWRs as the base network of the OWRs, those would be Roads, Streets and RHWs.  Thus, 3 possible turn lane configurations.  This will also perhaps increase the value of reading Readme files, as they'll be the place to see what all this stuff would be capable of doing.   :D

The width-wise method is not slope conforming (since intersections automatically flatten ground), but 4 networks can be used for it: OWR, Road, Street and RHW. 

Theoretically, these sorts of overrides will allow for a multitude of different turn lane configurations for at least some of the NWM networks.  The 3-tilers will allow for particularly extensive possibilities.

Hope that makes some sense. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

jplumbley

About Turning Lanes...  I have been fixing up some minor errors and adding more functionality to the Right Turn Lanes this past week.  No pictures at the moment due to me being at school.

Here is a list of what is currently possible:

• Ortho-Ortho Road Optional Left Turn Lanes
  • Ortho-Ortho Road Optional Right Turn Lane with Left Turn Lane from Road
  • Ortho Road to Ortho Avenue Optional Left Turn Lane from Road
  • Ortho Road to Ortho Avenue Optional Right Turn Lane with Left Turn Lane from Road
  • Ortho Road to Ortho Avenue Automatic Left Turn Lane from Avenue
  • Ortho Avenue to Ortho Avenue Optional Right Turn Lanes

Optional Left Turn Lanes for Roads:

These will be able to be drawn in any configuration for an intersection.

Example of Road-Road Ortho 4way (works at T-Intersections aswell):
o = Intersection
| , - = Original Road
|| , =  = Left Turn Lane

|
= o --
   |

|
= o =
   |

||
= o --
   |

||
= o =
   |

||
= o =
  ||

NWM Ready:

• Ortho Road to Ortho TLA-3 Optional Right Turn Lane with Left Turn Lane from Road
  • Ortho Avenue to Ortho TLA-3 Optional Right Turn Lane with Left Turn Lane from Avenue
  • Ortho TLA-3 to Ortho TLA-3 Optional Right Turn Lane with Left Turn Lane
  • Ortho TLA-5 to Ortho TLA-5 Optional Right Turn Lane with Left Turn Lane
  • Ortho Avenue to Ortho TLA-5 Optional Right Turn Lanes
  • Ortho TLA-5 to Ortho Avenue Automatic Left Turn Lanes
  • Ortho TLA-3 to Ortho Avenue Automatic Left Turn Lane from Avenue

Shadow_Assassin has been working on the Optional Right Turn Lanes for:

• Diagonal Road to Ortho Road
  • Diagonal Road to Ortho Avenue
  • Diagonal Avenue to Ortho Road
  • Diagonal Avenue to Ortho Avenue

These can easily be ported to NWM with:

• Diagonal TLA-3 to Ortho Road
  • Diagonal TLA-3 to Ortho Avenue
  • Diagonal TLA-3 to Ortho TLA-3
  • Diagonal TLA-3 to Ortho TLA-5
  • Diagonal Road to Ortho TLA-3
  • Diagonal Road to Ortho TLA-5
  • Diagonal Avenue to Ortho TLA-3
  • Diagonal Avenue to Ortho TLA-5

So as you can see, the Turning Lanes Plugin is still going under a MAJOR redevelopement to bring it up-to-date and making it NWM Ready.  We are hoping that once the new TLP (Turning Lanes Plugin) is ready, that we can possible put together a partial Beta Release of the NWM.  But, there are still some minor issues to work out.  Textures are in the process of being converted from "Alpha Quality" to "Release Quality", Path Files are under construction and well, there are still a few more RULs that need to be written.

EDIT:  Also forgot the most important thing!!  We still havent decided how to work with Left Hand Drive.  There are a couple of options and the best one has not been decided on yet.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Starmanw402007

Looking Great there Jplumbley, I'm looking forward to the next update. Also also cant wait to use those in Steven's Point.
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

deathtopumpkins

I'm a little lost on both of thoe posts, but hooray for progress!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Haljackey

I've always been a little puzzled as to how you plan to incorporate this project into SC4, but I can see that you have it planned out.  I don't know how you guys do it!

I wish you the best with this project.  You are doing something even Maxis had trouble integrating. 
-Haljackey

j-dub

Wow, that work sounds complicated. No wonder why Maxis couldn't do it.

nerdly_dood

??? Now THAT is confusing... and it's done with ASCII characters... I would much prefer some sort of in-game image, edited or not... But you got your point across to ... well, anyone who has the patience and nonconfusability to take the time to understand that.

Quote from: j-dub on July 10, 2008, 09:57:22 AM

I quite agree.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Patricius Maximus

In an alpha stage?

Thanks for the information. Now I have an idea on the NWM progress.

You're all doing good work.

Keep on modding!

- Patricius Maximus

Tarkus

It may look a bit complicated. :D   This stuff will probably not be for the faint of heart.  But there should be extensive documentation included with the modifications (both TLP and NWM) which will explain everything. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

As long as we remember to READ THE README!

Hopefully we'll understand enough to get it working...

Patricius Maximus

I always read the Readme for the NAM stuff, such as this.

yoshiisland2

Quote from: j-dub on July 10, 2008, 09:57:22 AM

Well, they're professionals and have access to all the extra technology, programming etc. and aren't limited by the EULA.  Really the reason they couldn't do it or anything like it, was because EA set a time-line. &sly

But I do agree, that is a lot of work and I'm sure I speak for everyone in that we all appreciate it.  :)

j-dub

Who knows, with alot of buildings and props unfinished, as well as the unused network texture in the game's dat, timeline or not, it makes you wonder what was left out. I bet all this NWM stuff could have been in a 2nd or 3rd expansion pack if they were smart, but we have the NAM team to thank so we don't have to cough up 40 or more dollars, or however more it costs on a mac for new network work.

deathtopumpkins

I bet you do patricius! (That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular :))

Monorail Master

To me, I think that it will be one holla of a roundabout with the new roads. Any solutions? Anybody?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

el_cozu

if I was Maxis CEO or some other thing... I would hire you guys to work for me XD... you make transit stuff and amazing stuff for the sake of simcity... and I win the money...... XD lol... but... just a question....

if someone offered you a job, and pay the rent and services of your new home in "maxis city", and work for them to develop the next simcity, would you accept?

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: el_cozu on July 11, 2008, 03:06:09 PM
if someone offered you a job, and pay the rent and services of your new home in "maxis city", and work for them to develop the next simcity, would you accept?

Me? No. I don't want my soul sucked out by EA. ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Patricius Maximus

That's a good thing. You people are indispensible here.