• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lollo

Excellent work Alex! 
Two small questions
-In which way will it be made draggable: via puzzle pieces or still by side by side overriding?
-Do you also plan to make a TLA-3(TLR) to Road intersection?

Keep an eye on the Lair!

pilotdaryl

Looks great!  ;D  This is going in my cities once it is complete.  Particularly in one shopping area I'm making.  ;)  And these are centre turn lanes, not suicide lanes, Andreas.  Maybe you should make a version of this but the centre turn lane is replaced with a divider.  I could use a Super-Two in some of my cities.  :thumbsup:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: pilotdaryl on January 27, 2008, 08:51:40 AM
Looks great!  ;D  This is going in my cities once it is complete.  Particularly in one shopping area I'm making.  ;)  And these are centre turn lanes, not suicide lanes, Andreas.  Maybe you should make a version of this but the centre turn lane is replaced with a divider.  I could use a Super-Two in some of my cities.  :thumbsup:

Well, the RHW-2 is considered a "Super-Two". ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

BigSlark

rickmastfan67

-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

schm0

Quote from: Andreas on January 27, 2008, 03:36:18 AM
Most likely, I won't use those "suicide lanes", but they look very nice so far! And the first pic of your last posting definitely needs a smooth curve puzzle piece (not sure if such a curve can be made draggable, but if, we should investigate how to do that).

Suicide lanes?!

That's a rather strange description... *wikipedia.org*...

And quite inaccurate, I might add. :) A suicide lane is a lane that is controlled by overhanging lights during rush hour or other such times of convenience. These are turning lanes, in order to ensure that making a left hand turn doesn't stop traffic for half a mile. The so-called "suicide lanes" were so named because the people driving along them did not pay attention to the lights (and apparently couldn't merge back into the correct lane,) which resulted in head-on collisions. Fun!

From the wikipedia article: "Another type of center two-way lane is a center left-turn lane (for countries which drive on the right), center turn lane or median turn lane, a single lane in the center of the road into which traffic from both directions pulls to make a left turn. It is also used by drivers turning left onto the main road. While this is sometimes also called a "suicide lane", it is actually far safer, as car accidents occur at far lower speeds."

Turning lanes are quite popular in every single state I've been to in the U.S. What happens (mostly in rural areas) when there is no turn lane? Why, drive right over into the oncoming lane to make your left, as long as there is no oncoming traffic, of course!  :satisfied:

The first time I saw that maneuver, I didn't know what to think. Now I weave into the "wrong" lane to make a left all the time.

On the possibility of making it draggable, I would debate against implementing such a scheme. In dense urban situations (with diagonal buildings, no less) a sharper 45-degree turn may be desirable or even designed in such a way on purpose. In outlying areas, where traffic is less congested and the terrain less flat, curves are much more common.

Just my opinion. :)
schm0

j-dub

@Tarkus, Well those textures aren't toobad.  :thumbsup: I especially love the arrows at the intersection with the right arrow. Could you leave blank intersections with no exemplars as well?  Also, burgsabre87 those Traffic Lights part of this? I like what I saw there too. If they are is it possible to add custom animations to traffic signals and with arrows? Is that what you were trying with the extra light? That would be awesome. This is similar to yours except straight up. (please ignore the details of whats going on in the roads, I actually have no idea, but its not a te lot situation since that tool don't seem to work on vista anyway now.)

Crissa

My mother once collided with a car with no lights on in an avenue turning lane - she grew up near LA, before it was as big as it is now, and that's where the name came from, anyhow.  Later in life, she was unable to have teeth implants due to upper jaw bone and sinal damage due to the impact some forty years ago.  At any rate, they are pretty safe, we were hit rear-end on another highway when I was a tot; lost the truck but walked away fine that time.

But!  I will use the lanes, they comprise most of the avenues in our area.

-Crissa

nerdly_dood

What a truly cheerful story crissa!!!  &Thk/(

I don't think the NAM team would condone such overhanging props (and not even pathed) as the ones J-dub posted; they would prefer REAL textures and paths. (At least that's what I got in response to a suggestion that overhanging props be used to create a SAM addon for diagonal streets)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jplumbley

Quote from: j-dub on January 29, 2008, 09:27:20 PM
@Tarkus, Well those textures aren't toobad.  :thumbsup: I especially love the arrows at the intersection with the right arrow. Could you leave blank intersections with no exemplars as well?  Also, burgsabre87 those Traffic Lights part of this? I like what I saw there too. If they are is it possible to add custom animations to traffic signals and with arrows? Is that what you were trying with the extra light? That would be awesome. This is similar to yours except straight up. (please ignore the details of whats going on in the roads, I actually have no idea, but its not a te lot situation since that tool don't seem to work on vista anyway now.)

Jdub, I dont think you worded your first sentence very diplomatically.  Your definition of "good vs bad" may be entirely different from someone elses.  What we are trying to do is mimic a RL texture and make sure the textures blend into the SC4 textures.  Burgess took a RL painting standard and the original MAXIS Streets to make the center lane.  Not all textures have been completed hence the sidewalk instead of an turn lane at the intersection.  I think for the textures that have been completed, you will notice that it was a very good job under the circumstances that it was intended to be made.

The NAM Team's policy is not to include lots in any of our projects.  We will be including T21s for the network props because this is the proper way to include props on the network.  You are definately welcome to remove these T21s from your plugins folder and use your own creations, but we do not support this idea.  The reason we do not "support" this idea is because you are intending to use overhanging lots, the problem with these are that they are a waste of a a tile, and the fact that overhanging props were not a designed function of the game.  Overhanging props do have downfalls and could cause things such as indestructable buildings amoungst other things.  There will be one standard release and we will not be altering a release for a special case such as this, that would just be plain silly because we will end up having 1000 requests and not enough time to fulfill them.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

j-dub

Quote(from Tarkus) Proof the TLA Project is not dead . . . I know these textures look like something the cat drug in (they're a mish-mash of unmatched old early prototypes I had laying around), but I have proof the diagonals are working.

@jplumbley-I'm sorry. So those aren't the finished textures is what your saying? Oh well, can't wait to find out what they look like. I have NO intention of adding seperate lots as exemplars. Whats in that pic is bus stops just disguised, but I couldn't make a bus stop on top of the road, even if I wanted to, the device has issues on vista so TE is a thing of the past, unless I get help from someone else. I ONLY intended those pics to show some ideas for models, and was wondering if different t21 traffic lights could be ANIMATED, but not lots. I mean maybe if there was a tutorial that showed everyone how to remove the exemplars, they could add their own stuff in without asking you guys? I'm not asking for it, I'm just saying, leaving options open, because there are thousands of different stuff people want to see, but probably a small percentage of who wants what in the long run. I'm talking about something like what burgess had done with changing the traffic lights, and was just wondering if those were private or public.

ma360

dragonshardz

just realized something: we (the players) who use AVE Roundabouts are going to need pathing done for TLA-to-roundabout.

Tarkus

Quote from: dragonshardz on February 14, 2008, 02:50:08 PM
just realized something: we (the players) who use AVE Roundabouts are going to need pathing done for TLA-to-roundabout.

Actually, you won't.  $%Grinno$%  That'll be accomplished through a TLA-5-to-Avenue transition.  In RL, the center turn lane never goes directly up to the roundabout.  There's almost always an island/median there to improve the approach geometry. 

Quote from: ma360 on February 14, 2008, 02:28:56 PM
So, how the project is going today?

It's not. :D  I've been focusing more on RL and RHW stuff the past few days.  The TLA-3 is in relatively good shape, though.  There's just a few more RULs needed and I need to whip up some more prototype textures for intersections (and a smooth curve piece or four). :D

-Alex (Tarkus) 

Pat

LoL Shardz remember Alex and who ever else is working on TLA has it all under control and this will be good once its done and remember time will tell when its ready.......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Filasimo

thank you pat for summing it all up for shardz  &apls  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

dragonshardz

not worrying, and thanks for the reply Alex. Just was wondering what you guys were going to do...

j-dub

Does this mean, I can finally can the zzzATL.dat file out of my system with this new one? (when it comes out) Sadly my avenues have to be converted with oneways, and then back to avenues because the way mine is, the center lane, actually does hit the roundabout (or looks like it does, blends perfectly), which I don't like, but this makes it better. Good job  :thumbsup:

Ryan B.

@ J-Dub:  Yes, once the TLA comes out, you will have to remove the file you mentioned.  However, this is still quite some time away, so I must once again stress patience while we make this an addition to the greatest series of mods in the entire gaming world.

nerdly_dood

Did someone say
Quote from: Tarkus on February 14, 2008, 05:27:01 PM
There's just a few more RULs needed and I need to whip up some more prototype textures for intersections (and a smooth curve piece or four). :D
???

I like it!  I don't usually expect smooth turns to go along with brand-new networks (based on already-existing networks) in their first release ever, but I have been instructed not to do any expecting due to a preference to surprise people.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!