• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

To lurk or not to lurk

Started by NikNik, January 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colyn

Well guys lurking is not per se bad ... problem comes if you as a lurker sees things happen that goes against your grain and you keep on lurking ... then when the ship goes down it is too late to say ... Hey dont pull that plug !
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

CabraBuitre

There are times that I lurk, and times that I don't.  If I see something that I REALLY like, then I'm definitely going to say something about it.  If there's something that I think I can add, then I'll definitely say something.  But there are lots of threads that I follow that have SO many comments between posts of the thread originator, that I, at the very most, will post 1/3 times I read *most* threads, if I feel compelled.

I feel that, if I don't have anything constructive to say, then it's not worth it to post after EVERY single update on a thread.  In threads that I've started, I certainly do appreciate every comment that I've gotten, but the ones that I appreciate the most are the ones that have some meat to them... whether they be specific criticisms or notes of encouragement and praise.

Check out Abelfarei!

jeronij

I have found this one.... ()lurker() .... $%Grinno$%
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Diggis

Cali

i found the definition of lurking:   to move about furtively, or wait in a concealed position or a shadowy corner, especially with the intention of doing something wrong. oops wrong definition &mmm
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Masochist

Hmmm...then there's the question of when is it appropriate to go from being a well-known active member of a forum back to being a lurker?  Well, maybe not when is it appropriate, but when do you feel you can make that decision?

(And anyone can answer, but I was asking one member in particular...not going to mention any names, but the initials are DT... %wrd)
(Under Construction)

Doc

That's a really good question, Masochist. So often I've seen members at sites where I look forward to their comments, advice or other contributions only to find they have just dropped off of the map.

I've actually been lurking here since November or December when I first heard about the site, but that's because I couldn't get my account to activate. I wonder sometimes if there are others out there like me who put off getting pro-active in remedying the problem (my case was just laziness) but are actually out there checking the site out. If anyone IS out there lurking because of an account issue, I highly recommend getting in touch with the staff here. They'll have you up and running in no time. Quick, painless and well worth it!
...Doc  aka Doxxp29

NikNik

Quote from: jeronij on February 11, 2007, 11:10:56 AM
I have found this one.... ()lurker() .... $%Grinno$%

I love this Lurking smiley. Please add it to the smiley box LOL.

Nik-Nik

Cali

i like this lurking icon. can we add it?

|
|
|

V

godders1979

Why do you lurk?

I lurk as i never have the time to post. Now that my 6 year old son spends some time at his mothers i can stay up late and read though all the stuff about in these forums. The other reason is that even at the age of 27 i dont know all the new gibberish that people talk and say in these sort of forums. (this is one of the first forums that i enjoy reading!)

How often do you lurk?

once a day!! If i am lucky

Does your partner know that you lurk?

She lives away from me so i suppose thats a no.

Do you only lurk here or also on other sites?

I used to lurk on ST, but since finding this site have moved over to enjoy all the custom bits to add to SC4.

I have to say that i have followed all the custom content that has been made over the last couple of years and have downloaded tons of it (about 1gb worth) and feel bad that i have never once said how good the stuff really is. Even more so since i thought that i would have a go a making something for myself in B.A.T, and discovering that i just could not do it or understand how the programs works! So a big thank you to all of you. Keep up the good work and hope to post again soon!

Ben

Eddie

I lurked here at SC4D for a while (as you can see, I joined Dec. 11). I only started posting a few days ago. I have a question though, and I'm sorry if it's off-topic (I didn't wanna start a new thread). Why did the BSC leave Simtropolis and migrate here and to PEG's site?

jeronij

Quote from: Eddie on February 13, 2007, 09:20:09 PM
Why did the BSC leave Simtropolis and migrate here and to PEG's site?
Everybody is free to upload wherever he/she wants. This is a not relevant question for this site. You can find more than enough information about that in the sites you mentioned, if you want to waste your time doing thisĀ  ::) .
There are many interesting threads in this site, where many many interesting themes about SC4 are being discussed. I suggest you to focus on some of these threads, and think ahead and not backwards.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Cali

great point jeronij. well said. ;D

Masochist

Quote from: Eddie on February 14, 2007, 05:28:09 PM
This just left me more confused... :'(

Basically he said that all that stuff is in the past, and this site is all about the future, so it's not the right place to discuss it.  ;)

Hmmm...back to lurking for me...  &sly
(Under Construction)

Eddie

Quote from: Masochist on February 14, 2007, 05:44:49 PM
Basically he said that all that stuff is in the past, and this site is all about the future, so it's not the right place to discuss it.  ;)

Hmmm...back to lurking for me...  &sly

Oh all right. *bugs other people about the past*

You all may resume back to being on topic.  ;)

mattb325

When I lurk it's either because I want to learn (i.e. I'm reading) or because I have nothing (constructive) to say...

dioangel

Quote from: Doc on February 09, 2007, 10:30:17 AM
I lurked at ST for a couple of years before I joined. Main reason, though, was I was playing vanilla and everything seemed to be geared for RH. Didn't feel I had anything to add.

Me too... I join ST maybe 2004 three days after my father bought me the sc4 game. Didn't come to the board until last year. So I was like of lurking..  :-X

"Beethoven is known for writting the most daring music has ever known to man...DioAngel is known for writting outragous stories has ever known to a lady."
My new MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6796.0

Pat

Ok so i Come out of the Shadows lol

Im up there with what Doc had said.  I've been lurking around since December and now as of recently wanted to join after I saw about the Datpacker btw its givin me headaches lol i think its all because of my system which is also annoying me  :bomb:......  so about lurking well I tend to be the busy one who doesnt have all that much time to say much but when i get in that fire under me  &hlp watch out i usaly get going.  Colyn you did have a very well put point on pg 1 post # 8.  here is what caught my attention,

QuoteHere on our LEX there is a simple "Thank you" choice and many dont even do that ... it is anonymous and it is not difficult but apparently too much effort ... 2 seconds of the downloaders time aginst dozens of hours of the creator ... hmm ... I wonder.

So LURKERS beware ... if you like the site and keep silent when things happen that affects your enjoyment of the site then you yourself is to blame if the site goes to the dogs.

with that quote Colyn its simply well put and that is how should be and hence that said i will more then likely not be lurking around here but trying my best to show my support for BSC and that is why i decided to take the plunge and say HI im herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre lol and also get all the good BSC goodies that is released cause a certain site lost a great team and i wasnt able to realy help over there and say please stay cause one lone voice in a crowd of many is drowned out or in my case deleted out....  but hey i guess this is my $0.05 worth for inflation lol - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Bobbo

I really do enjoy this site - it's so peeeacccefull!!!  I consider myself a lurker, I read the post alot but don't say much - but I'm really trying to get out of that habit of lurking, and get involved.  Pat - you're a character!   $%Grinno$%