• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Some properties do not match.

Started by gn_leugim, September 14, 2012, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gn_leugim

Well, I am making some more buildings to fill up the maxis standard families (as you can see on the threads on my sig). Ofcourse I use the PIM-X to the job, it is a good tool, my congratulations on that btw, and it makes the job much easier. but I have to notice some values dont match.

I explain. the models I make are the same size of Maxi's ones (or very close to), I set the filling degree to match the occupation to the original maxis building and there are some values that don't follow up. The "water consumed" in particular never get above 1, although the maxis ones are set to 3 and 5. Also the worth values are not very similar, usually higher than the original. I also found that it gives higher building values and demolition costs.

If I would kept this values I would turn the game easier with the use of these new buildings (more taxes and lower costs on water supply). Of course I can edit them, because I have some reference values, but for brand new buildings this may not be true. so on the long term we may turn the game easier to play due to this, no?

for reference, I found this on R$ buildings of mid density.

Is there anything wrong with my PIM-X or do I miss a patch, of is something not found so far?

gn_leugim

catty

Hi gn_leugim

I'm not sure I'm going to be any help, but looking at the database I've got of all the maxis buildings (its a work in progress)

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/database

Quite a few of the R$ maxis buildings have a "water consumed" = 1

They do seem to be the smaller buildings ... I personally think I would trust the PIM-X values more that the maxis ones, I'd also recommend taking a look at this document, its old but it still might give you a better idea of what the correct values should be.

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/search/ccc/items/view/stats-and-values-pack-and-reference-database-stex

-catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

CasperVg

Quote from: catty on September 17, 2012, 04:37:26 AM
They do seem to be the smaller buildings ... I personally think I would trust the PIM-X values more that the maxis ones, I'd also recommend taking a look at this document, its old but it still might give you a better idea of what the correct values should be.

Yes, I would definitely recommend the PIM-X over the Maxis values as well. When work on the PIM-X began, there was a lot of research and calculation involved to get the current PIM-X values, in an attempt to rebalance the game and fix some issues that the Maxis values had.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

jmyers2043

Quote from: gn_leugim on September 14, 2012, 01:44:01 PM
Well, I am making some more buildings to fill up the maxis standard families (as you can see on the threads on my sig). Ofcourse I use the PIM-X to the job, it is a good tool, my congratulations on that btw, and it makes the job much easier. but I have to notice some values dont match.

An early gripe about the Maxis PIM is that you can take a Maxis building from the game, create a new building using the Maxis PIM and get different numbers.   

PIM-X development: The PIM-X uses Maxis buildings, plots them onto a volume vs. capacity graph. Then finds the average slope. The slope is defined by a mathematical formula. The numbers can be extrapolated upwards to higher stage buildings. Some tweaks took place along the way. An area calculation was added so that large voluminous industrial buildings would not have a bazillion workers.

Some of the Maxis numbers are simply determined by if, and then. If X >Y, then Z will be the value. These can be found in the SC4 Exemplar XML located in C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps.

Some PIM pollution and consumption numbers were thought to be too high way back when the Bat tool was released. This often caused unenjoyable game play. The mayor had to pay too much attention to some 'non fun' aspects of city mayor ship. Some PIM-X numbers have lower values than their maxis counterparts.

I think the key is to be consistent so all game assets behave in a predictable manner if the primary concern is capacity. I wouldn't worry too much if the differences are pollution or consumption.

I've done similar things in the past. If this were my project? I'd make the custom content to be similar value when putting them into existing Maxis prop families. Or, I'd run the Maxis building through the PIM-X to create a new DESC. Put it into my own prop family and then relot the Maxis lots. A kind of correct and replacement scheme for your own game. 

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

gn_leugim

So, in the end, I should trust the PIM-X values, although they differ from Maxis conterparts?

jmyers2043

Quote from: gn_leugim on September 17, 2012, 01:34:54 PM
So, in the end, I should trust the PIM-X values, although they differ from Maxis conterparts?

Yes. I like to think that the PIM-X is an improved version of the PIM because it benefits from knowledge gained from game play over the years. 

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

gn_leugim