• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Translation request for Cogeo's RTMT

Started by RippleJet, July 18, 2007, 01:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cogeo

I feel that the end result is far from even my most optimistic expecations! We were offered translations for languages I never expected.
Kudos to every member who has contributed, and especially RippleJet for organising this!  &apls

Btw there are some excellent creations on Japanese sites. I think it would be a good idea to do the same for some of them, it's a pity having so nice stuff that we can't use. We should just contact the Japanese creators, the only requirements are to use the building properties that involve LTEXTs (instead of strings), eg User Visible Name Key instead of Item Name, and (of course) provide an English translation.

Barby, I totally agree, these aren't aiming at a... French literature contest, they are only needed to make the pack usable, and the only requirements are to be clear and consistent; I don't speak French, but I have checked them out, and found that they are clear and consistent indeed! Thanks for the great work!  ;D

Andreas

BTW, the Italian translation is underway, but I didn't have time to check back on my Italian buddy so far. It might be necessary to get the correct captions for "street", "road" etc. as they are used in the game (if anyone knows the LTEXT TGI for them, it shouldn't be too hard), since my buddy doesn't have the game, but it seems that the Reader works fine for him, so he can directly translate the LTEXT files. :)
Andreas

RippleJet

Seems like Maxis had a problem translating into Italian as well. ()what()
Is there any difference between Street and Road in Rome at all? %confuso

This is what I found out when quickly comparing the English and Italian SimCityLocale.dat files:

Street  = Strada (TGI 2026960B, EA5524EB, 8A558A04)
Road    = Strada (TGI 2026960B, 6A231EAA, EBBE7FF5)
Avenue = Viale   (TGI 2026960B, EA5524EB, 8B8C5CD0)

On the other hand, I also found the following:

Streets = Strada minore (TGI 2026960B, 0A554AE0, AA9C2F61)
Streets = Strade minori  (TGI 2026960B, 6A3FF01C, EA8446BE)

One way road is "Strada a senso unico" (TGI 2026960B, EA5524EB, 4BD9FDD8)

ussagus

Cogeo...
RippleJet sent me a PM telling me that you need someone to translate a English-Spanish text. I speak Spanish and I can try to help you with the translation  :)

Saludos

RippleJet

vester

Here is the Danish translation.

RippleJet

cogeo

@ussagus: Thanks for offering to help! You can download a partially (mostly) translated spanish file on the first page of this thread. This already includes translations for streets/roads/oneways and avenues (and from what I can see it's well done), you need to make the translation for the GLR-on-Avenue puzzle pieces (8 stations). Check my posts on the first page of this thread there are some instructions (for consistency etc).

@vester: Many thanks!

As for the Italian, we are in trouble again! As said above, it would be nice to be consistent to the ingame "language", but what about if both streets and roads are translated as "Strada"? I searched babelfish as well as an Italian disctionary, and "Street" is translated as "Via", "Road" as "Strada" and one-ways roads as "Strada Unidirezionale". Another dictionary mentions additional terms, like "Contrada" or "Cammino". On the other hand I checked a map of Rome, and all roads (both major or minor) are referred to as "Via". Maybe these terms in Italian have a slightly different meaning. I think what we need is ask a native speaker, the meanings we are seeking are indeed major and minor road, but a single word would be preferable.

Rayden

From the little italian language knowledge I have, street is indeed Via. Contada or cammino it's like the Portuguese and means trail, small road or footpath.

Andreas

Oh well, if even EA has some inconsistencies in those labels, I guess it doesn't matter that much. ;)
Andreas

ussagus

I can't open the archive RTMTV3_Locale_06_Spanish.dat, which program should I use?

Saludos

cogeo

@ussagus: The most suitable tool for this job is DatGen (get it from Simtropolis, Modds and Downloads section), and not iLive, because it handles multiline text better.
Here is a link with instructions on using DatGen for translations. Please do not press Enter when at the end of the last line, this causes newlines to be inserted and looks weird ingame. When pressing the right arrow key, the cursor should not move past the last character of the last line (in a blank line), instead it must stop immediately after the last visible character.

ExiLe

Ilive works fine for me. Anyways, just got home from work RippleJet, I'll finish up the translation asap.

I am just going to check with vester's translation to see if I can use something. I am a bit unsure how to translate One-Way roads the right way... to make it sound right in game that is ;)

take care,

Edit: aha! I'll use the same (well almost) as vester. "enveis rettet vei" instead of what many norwegians say; "enveis kjørte veier" which is correct but would sound a tad silly... at least that is my opinion.

Edit again: ok, nope I'll use the more Norwegian "enveis kjørte veier" after all.. lol  $%Grinno$%

I am from southern Norway and 1/2 Danish so somehow the Danish version sounded kind of right to me. As I was writing though I saw that it didn't fit all too well.
...coming soon

vester

ExiLe, godt at se dig tilbage. Jeg brugt selv RJ's svenske oversætning til min.
Check også spilets manual.

English: Good to see you back. I use RJ's Swedish translation to do mine.
Check also the game manual.

RippleJet

Great ExiLe! :thumbsup:

Good you got help by Vester!
Maxis seems to have used "Enveiskjøring" for One Way Road(s)... ???

ExiLe

vester: thanks mate, yeah our languages have are very similar. I'll be finished soon, you can look over it if you want ;)

RippleJet: Yeah, "Enveiskjøring" is right though, but it means "One Way drive" and not "One way Road" ;) So they did translate it wrong... not a biggy tho

There we go, Norwegian translation is finished too!

...coming soon

Andreas

Attached is the Italian translation, hopefully, everything is correct (I sent the completed DAT file to my Italian buddy again for a final check tomorrow or so). As for the confusion about streets and roads, we settled for "streets = strada", "road = via", "one-way road = via a senso unico" and "avenue = viale", but if that contradicts with the in-game captions, it might be necessary to change it again.
Andreas

RippleJet

Thank you both, ExiLe and (Italian friend of) Andreas! &apls
Now I only need to compile all these translations into one singe dat file for cogeo :)

vester

Good to hear that its all comes together.

That shouldn't take to long for you to compile it.

RippleJet

It won't... already done...
But there's still one missing... the Spanish one!

I hope Ussagus managed to get DatGen working ::)