• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

druidlove

In regards to eggman's intersection, I think it looks rather interesting. While I've never seen this variant, nor have I seen the T variant as Tarkus has shown. I think this is a wannabe roundabout however. It is just a rounded version of a road crossing a divided highway, and the turn lanes included.

Wiimeiser, I've found that there are such things as left lane acceleration lanes, such as this intersection.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rocky+Ford,+CO+81067/@38.0644521,-103.7477268,183m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x87120fd3a2bb35c5:0xeda6a4565b9b796c!8m2!3d38.052508!4d-103.7202274

This is my usual route to and from work.

Tyberius06

Eggman121 that's an interesting roundabout thingy, I like it very much.

I have some questions about the future and possibilities. When I saw b22rian's post in the RHW topic, it reminded me about a FLUP related question. Since I know there is no more puzzle pieces development, and the whole FLUP system is Puzzle Piece based, so there is no chance for this, but it came up into my mind why hasn't been made any FLUP pieces under elevated networks (apart from the PEDMALLS). I mean underground roads under El Rail or L1/L2 RHW etc...
Other question with these. Is there any technical possibility to make actual FLEXIBLE Underpasses. I mean where we have a "starter", f.e. the underpass ramp, and drawing one of the networks it makes flups under the other networks etc. So basicly is there a way to replace the Puzzle Pieces with an actual "network"?
Same question with the PEDMALLs? Is there a technical possibility to develop flexible pedmalls?

Anyway the FLUP PPs under elevated networks would be nice... I know there is no more PP development, and the team has limited men/women/other-gender power... :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Tarkus

Quote from: Tyberius06 on November 22, 2017, 04:19:11 AM
Other question with these. Is there any technical possibility to make actual FLEXIBLE Underpasses. I mean where we have a "starter", f.e. the underpass ramp, and drawing one of the networks it makes flups under the other networks etc. So basicly is there a way to replace the Puzzle Pieces with an actual "network"?

At least in theory, yes--that's the oft-mentioned "new implementation" for the FLUPs. 

Same question with the PEDMALLs? Is there a technical possibility to develop flexible pedmalls?

No reason we can't rig up an override network.

-Alex

gn_leugim

Quote from: Tarkus on November 22, 2017, 03:52:55 PM

-Alex

Would this make it possible to develop Resi in pedmall??

matias93

Quote from: gn_leugim on November 24, 2017, 10:45:14 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on November 22, 2017, 03:52:55 PM

-Alex

For what I understand, it wouldn't, as residential lots need a car exit to send commuters to their workplaces, but I might be wrong...

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

mgb204

Quote from: matias93 on November 24, 2017, 02:51:14 PM
Quote from: gn_leugim on November 24, 2017, 10:45:14 AM
For what I understand, it wouldn't, as residential lots need a car exit to send commuters to their workplaces, but I might be wrong...

Sounds about right to me, technically the Pedmalls are a Road already, so more than likely that's the cost of removing car traffic on them.

gn_leugim

and what about adding some dummy car paths to them? In the way that they would have "car traffic" but it would net get sims anywhere, so they would have to walk out.  &idea

CasperVg

or "actual" car paths but far below the ground, similar to the (RHW) neighbour connection pieces? Possibly with some kind of "connection" piece that allows the underground paths to actually connect to the real road network? Wouldn't work very well to avoid having sims use their car, but probably would allow zoning?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

noahclem

I've actually just started using the pedmalls with FLUPs under them in significant area of at least one of my recent regions and they apparently work just like zoning next to roads, though you'll need a transition from surface street to FLUP for them to be able to get somewhere beyond wherever that network under the ped malls can get. A lot transition of some type, which I wouldn't be surprised if it already exists, should also work.

Tarkus

There was a Korean modder ages ago who reportedly had some success using trick car paths, but my own attempt at replicating those findings didn't turn out as well.

-Alex

gn_leugim

oh gosh now that I see that I remember why I had that idea, I tried to work it out that time actually too :-[ ??? ???

mgb204

After someone mentioned problems using dual OWR networks with GLR in the median and crossing such setups with NWM, I figured that would be useful if we could support it. Cue 480 lines of new adjacency code and we have:

Long and short, you can now use a pair of either OWR-1, 2 or 3 networks to create an avenue with a one tile gap. Single-tile NWM networks will happily intersect with any of the supported rail-type networks and remain stable. I think that's a pretty good return on investment for such a small amount of code.

One last little fix, I know there isn't a lot of clearance for a train, but L1 ERRW under L2 networks is something I still want to see:

b22rian

MGB,

thanks for your excellent posting here  :thumbsup:

QuoteOne last little fix, I know there isn't a lot of clearance for a train, but L1 ERRW under L2 networks is something I still want to see:

I would have to fully agree here as well..
Sometimes you have to give up a little in realism, to open the door quite wide in terms of game play options. To me, this is one of those instances..

Alan_Waters

And I do not see problems. If the railway, which passes at an altitude of 7.5 meters (L1), will pass under the overpass, which is at an altitude of 15 meters (L2) - then the altitude for passing the train (7.5 meters) is quite enough.

Great job!  :thumbsup: Very in demand.  &apls &apls &apls

Tyberius06

Quote from: b22rian on December 06, 2017, 03:13:46 AM
Sometimes you have to give up a little in realism

Well, I don't see, where we have to give up a little in realism... :) ;) That setup is not unrealistic at all, since I know in real life setups, where 2-5 different angled rail lines in more or less different high level are crossing each other and of course other transit networks are crossing below of them.
But I'm very happy that we will have this setup, and thanks to MGB204 for the OWR-GLR/etc-NWM crossings workaround as well!
That will be a nice addition too!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

APSMS

It's not that the setup in particular is unrealistic, it's that the in-game height values for most train automata are very close to 7m (if not well over for taller railstock.

Obviously IRL 7.5 meters is more than fine, but then again 22 feet for most overpasses is already excessive, and yet in game it feels almost low, so YMMV.

Robin, would dual tile NWM be too much adjacency code to run about for all the possible configurations?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

metarvo

Here we go...  :)

I was thinking to myself the other day how there would pretty much never be a W 12-2 sign, let alone a "Low Clearance" plaque, in SC4 since even 7.5 m translates to roughly 24' 7" in imperial units.  That number would look absurd on a W 12-2 sign.  From a BATters point of view, however, it might just seem low because of the game's perspective — an effect akin to the BAT squash which implores BATters to upscale BATs to 133% of source height.  It's just the game's isometric perspective.  Adjusted for "inflation," you really have 5.6 m or 18' 6" in RL terms, even though the overpass will be 7.5 m in-game.  This number is much more reasonable in my mind for highway overpasses IMO.

It begs to question.  If these signs were in fact made, should they use the game's nominal measurements or the adjusted ones?  ;D
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

APSMS

I suppose you could always work up two models and see how it looks. Quite frankly the only time I've seen clearance signs were when the overpass was less than 16 feet about, not quite 5 meters. I've never seen a sign that reads 18 ft.

Of course, train have different clearance requirements, though perhaps it goes without saying that most rail lines lack clearance signs simply because if you don't already know the clearance of the rail line, then you're basically screwed already by dispatch, assuming they give you consists that are too tall, since by the time you realize it it will be far too late to do anything about.

mgb204

Quote from: APSMS on December 06, 2017, 11:47:24 AM
It's not that the setup in particular is unrealistic, it's that the in-game height values for most train automata are very close to 7m (if not well over for taller railstock.

Exactly, the real issue is the perspective of the game, which makes it look like trains won't fit cleanly under the highway. Especially when whilst the highway is at 15m for the roadway, there are parts of the model below that height.

QuoteRobin, would dual tile NWM be too much adjacency code to run about for all the possible configurations?

Not necessarily more code, more that it adds another level of complexity to the code, since you have to deal with outer/inner tiles. Whereas the single-tile networks once one is out the way, becomes mostly a copy/paste job. Getting all the various multi-tile networks in there, is likely to be more arduous. If anything I would prioritise adding OWR-4/OWR-5 setups for the dual-avenue networks, before adding intersections for any dual-tile networks. But certainly there is room for expansion here, I'm just not sure how far I want to go right this moment.

APSMS

Quote from: mgb204 on December 06, 2017, 09:21:22 PM
If anything I would prioritise adding OWR-4/OWR-5 setups for the dual-avenue networks, before adding intersections for any dual-tile networks. But certainly there is room for expansion here, I'm just not sure how far I want to go right this moment.
No problem. ;) Thanks for the work you've already done. I can already see uses for it in my head.  &idea