• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

T-RAM

Started by Chrisim, November 23, 2008, 01:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Choco, awesome to hear from you buddy! Thanks again for coaxing me out of lurking mode a couple years back ;)  Thanks for the info also. If highway bridges can pass rail traffic is there anything stopping us from having a Tram-in-Avenue bridge be highway-based? Could pedestrians use it?

DBE-type-setups can essentially do anything that a regular single-tile, land-based network can, but the network is then suspended above the water through zero-slope trickery, etc. It should be a very viable option were half TIA, non-avenue-based pieces to be created.

Dexter, awesome work again! I'll get busy on the TLA-7/AVE-6, 3-tile-TuLEP, and 2-tile-TuLEP intersections.

Alex, that's my first Tarkusian "officially awesome" comment and a bit of an honor  :)  I look forward to helping out as my ability progresses and as long as I have the available time  :thumbsup:

In the mean time I got distracted. Anybody see a use for these?

This one needs a bit of refinement but you get the idea

()flamdev()

choco

Quote from: Tarkus on February 08, 2012, 12:45:34 PM
And choco, long time, no see, my friend!
Hiya Tarkus!  Oh how time flies....been crazy, this past year has.  Look forward to catchin up....  :thumbsup:

Quote from: noahclem on February 08, 2012, 12:59:27 PM
Thanks for the info also. If highway bridges can pass rail traffic is there anything stopping us from having a Tram-in-Avenue bridge be highway-based? Could pedestrians use it?
Well hello again to you, as well!  was lurkin myself this time, and came across your post.  :)  i may actually still have that TIA file lying around on a hard drive somewhere....

the mechanics of a TIA bridge being highway-based would be no different than the TsingMa, really.  you can put whatever models/textures in you want, its still rail-traffic over a highway (car) based bridge.  my theory was simply that the simulator isn't equipped to calculate the congestion with the additional traffic type, and didn't know what to do with the data.  it displayed the bridge as red in traffic(?) view.  the amount of actual usage didn't seem to matter....yet, a rail-based bridge (all single tile) passed car traffic just fine (a la xannepan's TIR bridge).  the difference in behavior seemed to be the manner in which congestion was calculated, as the behavior never changed with any simulator i tried. 

now the question i always thought about.....if the network congestion is red because of an error in the calculation, is it still factored into the path-finding?  im not good enough at the game to structure a valid test on the matter, so i just moved on. 

i planned on booting up my old rig to see what files i have.  there was a couple things i left unfinished, and may be able to work on in spare time.  if i come across the test bridges, i'll forward them for ya to tinker with if ya like?

noahclem

choco, if you're back that's a wonderful thing  &dance

I'd love to take a look at those old bridges. I've been meaning to look at a ferry traffic trick I thought up in a test city and that should be a good place to evaluate how those bridges work too. If it is merely a congestion error in the congestion graph than jondor may be able to figure out the problem--he seems exceptionally gifted in such areas. I need to dig around to figure out who gave me the conflicting opinion on the possibilities of TIA bridges (must be threestooges or xannepan...)

Looking forward to the possibility of your renewed efforts  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Quote from: choco on February 08, 2012, 02:14:11 PM
the difference in behavior seemed to be the manner in which congestion was calculated, as the behavior never changed with any simulator i tried. 

now the question i always thought about.....if the network congestion is red because of an error in the calculation, is it still factored into the path-finding?  im not good enough at the game to structure a valid test on the matter, so i just moved on. 

I tested the Dual-Network Tsing Ma for jeronij quite extensively some time ago.  The red appearance on the Congestion DataView when train traffic used the bridge seems to be entirely just a graphical glitch, as when offered a "non-red" way of access that was not substantially out of the way, traffic continued to use the Tsing Ma despite it being red.  Dual networking can sometimes lead to rather strange behavior in the Congestion DataView (and the route query), but that strange behavior is often simply a cosmetic error, while the underlying simulation still appears to work without issue.

-Alex

z

Quote from: noahclem on February 08, 2012, 04:19:17 AM
And is that an implication that there will be FLUP-under-NWM pieces?

Yes;  all the NWM stations will have corresponding FLUP-under-NWM variants.

This means we're going to end up with hundreds of stations, of course, which is why it's taking so long... :-\

QuoteWhat I meant to ask though is if there will be FLUP entrance-to-subway pieces, ie a TEd lot that looks like a road FLUP entrance but converts traffic from car to subway.

All the FLUP-enabled stations will have optional subway access.  The ones that are attached to surface stations that also have subway access will also have underground garages for cars.

ivo_su

Matt and Noah, you are just great and I am  shocked at you wonderful  textures. Matt you are so precious  to NAM but also for all of us that you rise up the work of your team to level up. Which of you both started working on a piece of crossing AVE-6/TLA-7?
Chrissim whether plans to have a new set of tracks for trams in AVE-6 ...
Noah these latest textures for me like T-RAM in OWR is it really, or I'm wrong

Ivo

noahclem

Thanks Ivo  :thumbsup:

The last textures I showed are actually TuLEPs for tram-in-ave 6. My idea would be to base it off of regular tram tracks with OWR3s on each side. As I showed you before once, intersections with those networks and the basic Maxis ones are already possible. The NWM overrides aren't stable enough to work for this yet though with Project 0E stability that might change--could Alex or someone enlighten us on that? I'm interested in making textures for a TuLEP-style addition to that and a TIA intersection. It's just an idea but I think something fairly useful could be created with a pretty small number of pieces.

I started working on the AVE-6/TLA pieces (finding the textures I needed in the NWM dat was a bit of a hassle) and might be able to finish them up later this evening.

EDIT: Here's an old picture of some things this network can and can't do currently:

noahclem

DOUBLE POST!  (should be okay, it's been a couple months) ;)

Was recently sent a boat-load of textures and this is the first thing I have to show for it:

It's TIA4 x TIA6-turning lane intersection and needs a bit of polishing before it's all ready, especially around the rails--should be easy enough to do.

It's fun to play around with this type of thing but "TIA-6" is likely to remain a twinkle in my eye until I finish more work on the existing project of T-RAM/NWM integration. Pathing and other puzzle piece stuff should be a lot easier for me to learn on anyway.

*I should say TIA-6 puzzle pieces are quite a ways off. I already play with it in my cities, often using GLR/subway transitions as a workaround....

Tarkus

Wow . . . that looks absolutely fantastic.  :o  I'm glad my texture package proved useful. :thumbsup: 

-Alex

ivo_su

Oh gosh, this piece is unique, good and useful. Noah congratulate you for your outstanding work and wish you to keep still, to create such wonderful pieces. Thanks to you and the other is expected next NAM to be the best ever created. If you have any more perfect textures, please do not be shy to share them with us. Your work has always attracted my interest and attention.

SC4creator

Hey i was wondering could you make glr in avenue viaducts and road in glr viaducts whenever i want to make a sunken highway on ramp/off ramp i have to use a transition piece from glr to subway it would seriously make my day if you made that &hlp

ivo_su

Look at what developments have for future versions of T-RAM. It looks very intriguing and beautiful, hopefully become a reality.

Kuewr665

@ivo_su: Is the second one a tram roundabout without road?

I don't remember the response to this request, but will one way trams in road and/or one way road be made at all? Those would be useful for tram termini and downtown areas.

ivo_su

Quote from: Kuewr665 on July 21, 2012, 03:27:33 PM
@ivo_su: Is the second one a tram roundabout without road?

I don't remember the response to this request, but will one way trams in road and/or one way road be made at all? Those would be useful for tram termini and downtown areas.

I saw these images Simcity.de, but I really liked, mainly because of their realism. In Sofia all roundabouts have just such an organization of movement. I hope this will not remain just a working board.

mike3775

The roundabout ave version is nice, but realistically, I see no use for the one without the avenue, but it still looks good

As far as I am concerned, I don't care how long it takes for new stuff to be released, as long as they are relatively buggy free when they are

noahclem

Thanks for sharing ivo  :thumbsup:   Very cool stuff!

Wiimeiser

The tram-only one looks cool. Definetly want even though I almost never use GLR
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Ol.S / Benoit

Looks like you still have some nice stuff for the T-RAM ! :) Great work guys !

I was wondering, does anyone knows if someone made sandstone textures for SFBT tram stations ? (Or any tram station in Street/Avenue/Road)
I mean, these stations, or some of them ? Especially the tram in street one that does not fit well with sandstone MODs.

Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

FrankU

Quote from: ivo_su on July 21, 2012, 11:43:00 AM

Wonderful!
What a good roundabout! But, ahem.... the small grassy triangles? I don't understand them. The roundabout would be better, imho, if you let them out.

jdenm8

As far as I can discern, Ivo didn't make them, he found them at SimForum.de, where most of the Tram developers post and organise their efforts.

I wouldn't anticipate their inclusion in NAM31. While the Tram team members at SimForum are NAM Members (at least Honorary), they're rather detached from the main NAM Team seen here and at ST (It's a language barrier) and our liaison, Chrissim, is currently taking some time away from modding for personal reasons.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley