• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mattb325 plays Shosaloza

Started by mattb325, December 23, 2006, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayden

WOW, my jaw is still on the floor :o Magnifique my friend. I just love everything  :)

bat

Colyn

Great stuff ... now for some quetsions ...

Where are these from ...

Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

mattb325

Thanks everyone. Glad it made you giggle  :P

Colyn, the BATs, in order are:

1)Marcszar Wiessner Brewery: a stunning piece of work. http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=17319
2) Emmerson Biggins Restaurant: Simgoobers Sleeze Pack03. Lots of amusing tit-bits  ;) to liven the city http://www.simpeg.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=348
3) Mail Distribution Centre: a Bat made by me ages ago (which I had completely forgotten about).
I had zoned for something else when this one popped up.
I'm going to re-lot (it's got some bugged and false dependencies from an old file that used to be in my plugins) and tweak the employment numbers (for some reason I had made it 6x6 CS$$ which is why I had forgotten about it, it should have been IHT$$$) and then post in the team room.

PS - I just realised how distracting Emmerson Biggins is....I placed the solar collector the wrong way around! :D ::) :D

BarbyW

QuoteGlad it made you giggle
Giggle? I nearly wet myself laughing.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

vab423

Matt, did you get the Herbal FukitolTM plant, Goobergen Latex *and* Domino's to grow?  (please say no please say no please say no).  I am so envious!!!  I'm liking how this is developing.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

Colyn

Thanks ... I got them and will wait for the last one ...  :-\
Come see CSX Play

mattb325

Yes, Vab – you'll hate me...all industry grown (except the flour mill – that's a reward).

But in some of the pictures I grew things I have never seen – like the Maxis truck factory – which is an excellent industrial...demand was high in this city.
It also helps immensely to hold down the control key while zoning. Herbal FukitolTM is a 3x6, Canada dry a 6x6, Dominos Sugar a 4x7(?) CSX 8x8 etc, etc. So, when I want these things, I use high density and the control key: then always make historical so high-tech doesn't over-run everything.

UPDATE!

Galston isn't all doom and gloom.

In fact, it has a thriving population of 110,000 and growing.

As well as all of the industry, there is a compact, but dense CBD and many pleasant suburbs in the hills overlooking the valley.

It is true, Galston lacks a lot of the entertainment and character of Mona Vale, but it does show a city with a vibrant mix of all classes.

Now that the Rector (he, he, he  :D) is safely returned to Mona Vale, let's have a quick look at some of the things he missed on his tour of the city.
I know, you have to put up with me talking, but heck, there are some pictures, and rest assured, the Rector (he, he, he  :D) will grace us again.

Near some of the apartments in the industrial area, terrace housing clings to the foothills

The game has come along way. Ponder for a moment on the image below.

Imagine the results of using just Maxis' 2 or 3 row homes down a steep hill like this on the Vanilla <shudder> version.

The image below shows mostly student accommodation for the nearby university. The students also like the fact that they buy Herbal Fukitol wholesale just across town

Just near the university, which is relatively close to the factories we saw earlier, some of the breweries have been converted to museums and other places of learning. This saw a gradual improvement of the desirability of some of the surrounding areas.

The stadium provides some weekend entertainment, although the view beyond the cedars is not overly bucolic.

On the other side of the University, Corporations, whose factories churn out the endless muck in the industrial areas, have set up regional headquarters here in Galston. This small CBD goes some way to soaking up regional demand...also managed to get some COBB apartments to grow like weeds (for years for me, nothing, nada, zip....now in this city the grow everywhere!!! ::))

Galston's CBD actually sits in its own small hollow in the North East corner of the map next to Mount Victoria. As the land rises sharply away from this hollow, high density development is no longer suitable and gives way to more compact suburban housing which can better cling to the sides of the hills

Now of course at the top of the mountain are some of the wealthier homes which houses the 'Managers' and 'Executives'; the 'Captains' of Galston's industry (and, lets not forget the Drug Baron of the Herbal FukitolTM factory)

And finally – at the very top of Mont Victoria, almost near the tree line is Shosaloza's observatory and research centre:

And for the final picture, a quick snapshot of the region:

The suburb of Lawson (where the Rector (he, he, he  :D)) lives, is to the extreme left, Mona Vale and Naremburn can be seen on the plains, St Leonards and the borough of Dural are at the centre of the picture and, separated from St Leonards by Mount Victoria, Galston is at the furthest right.

vab423

FABULOUS update - and I don't hate you, I'm just crushed because there are just a few industrials I can't get to grow (I did get the Canada Dry bldg today, which made me happy).  Thanks for the size info on Domino's.  I've zoned a couple of areas and hopefully I can coax one to grow for me.  I think I also discovered that most custom industrials only grow if they're high density.  You have a couple of bldgs I'm coveting - hopefully I can describe them well enough so you can tell me what they are ... and not ignore my pleas (begging, whining, whatever you want to call 'em).  They're both 'scrapers - one is behind what looks like the Aramack bldg (at least that's what the logo looks like).  It has a domed, glass-looking roof.  The other is just to the left of that (in the same pic).  You have two growing side-by-side behind the dark bldg.  They have what look like spires on the top.

Again love what you're doing with your region (and thanks in advance for the bldg info).

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

jeronij

Hi Mattb, I want to say that I enjoyed every picture in this CJ, you have a very well choosen buildings selection  :thumbsup:

And I love your sense of humour too  $%Grinno$%
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

jen_p

You put a lot of detail into your cities. They are a joy to look at.

I've noticed that you've been able to grow both of the brutalist skyscrapers that I made, Administration & Records and the other one &apls. I've only once had one grow.

It is my turn to ask where you downloaded something. Where did you get those American houses, the green one, the white with dormers, and the blue shingles etc?
My MD: Jen's random cities...  ...Also, check out my creations on the LEX...

Colyn

Good stuff ... you should look at Region Census to get better shots of your cities and Region.
Come see CSX Play

bat

Great pictures(!) and fantastic snow_picture!

sebes

You're a true master &dance. The layout of the streets and houses and trees and all - it's just perfect. The houses in the snow are fantastic, as is how you 'dress up' the region. Excellent! &apls
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

jestarr

Vab, I'm not sure what the one on the left is, but the one with the glass and the round top looks like Trottier Trading.  It's a CO$$$ Maxis building.

mattb325

Thanks everyone for the lovely words.

No update today (I've been batting instead #stsfd·), just thought I'd give some answers

Vab, jestarr was correct - it is a Maxis building (I think it is on the Houston tileset).
The other one is Simgoobers' blue skyy office : http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=13203

Jen The skyscrapers you made are delightful. They've both popped up at the start of zoning, so I've made them historical immediately. Corner buildings are always slow to coax into growth.

The houses are in the team room - they're part of Cycledogg's beautiful set which I hope I'm displaying with justice

DuskTrooper

Ok, excuse me if this is the wrong place, or I amk not looking hard enough, but, could you kindly direct me to where I can obtain the circled overlay/etc textures in this pic?  Thanks in advance!

SC4, forevermore!

pvarcoe

Wow. The industrial shots are absolutely top notch.
I really appreciate the fact you have zoomed in to shoot the buildings, it really shows off the detail.
Very nice work putting it all together!

Colyn

Those textures and overlays are part of the Cycledogg Texture packs.
Come see CSX Play

Alfred.Jones

Great pictures Mattb :thumbsup: Keep it up ;)

Sim City 4 Devotion