• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to hide the info box/bubble?

Started by art128, October 30, 2019, 06:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Hi all,

Been wondering if any of you know how to hide (or remove) the info bubble that appear when plopping something?

I'm particularly talking about these (pictured) that appear when using the NAM pieces, they very often hide the entire piece making it a nightmare to correctly place them....

Thanks!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

As far as I know, the only way to do it would be to edit the LTEXT to reduce the amount of text in the tooltip.  I don't know of an actual way to disable the tooltips altogether.

We kind of started to increase the amount of info in the tooltips with the goal of better advising users how certain newer pieces were supposed to work, without having to look at the documentation, but the issue, as you've found here, is that sometimes, that info about the piece gets in the way of actually using it.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

See if you can shorten it to 2-L0, MIS-L0, etc... I guess...?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

art128

Alex, would it be possible in the next NAM installer to have an option for people to toggle between the full text or just a blank space to have the smallest bubble possible?

Also which files should I go to in order to edit the LTEXT?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

I'm not sure what all we'll be able to accomplish for NAM 37, as the release engineering process there has been very complicated.  (And in case anyone is wondering, we are still on Build 03, as has been the case for about 2 months now--a lot of annoying file architecture things on top of some of the normal stuff still to iron out before Build 04 is possible.)

I would say that being able to see the piece in order to place it should supersede the current tendencies toward verbose tooltips, so it'd be more likely that we would just end up whittling them down to something that can fit in just one or two lines of text.

The LTEXTs are all supposed to be in the Locale Files subfolder, but over the years, some developers have sneaked LTEXTs into other files during testing, and they ended up getting merged into the mod that way.  While I've tried to get the ones I find, I'm fairly certain that not all of those have been fished out yet.

-Alex

Tyberius06

If/when we have a working Alpha04 with a working architecture, I can take a look at the files, and if it's necessary I can move the LTEXT files to one location. I'm not promising anything however... RL and other projects keep me busy recently...

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mrbisonm

The only reason why I don't use NAM very often, nothing worse than to have that bubble blocking totally your view when trying to fit something properly........imagine doing this in the middle of a town......lol

There should be an option whether to use or not use the "helpbubble" like in sooooooo many other games.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

j-dub

If only, but it's not like Maxis devs made NAM. Disregarding Nam, too bad no one knows how to eliminate the white space behind the text bubble and make that transparent via a new mod. I think even that would help, and you would be able to see what you're doing overall, but who knows how to pull off such a thing. I personally believe it may be possible though considering someone undid the yellow pause screen via a mod that disabled it, but coding and programing is beyond me. That said, I think this is something that is better off explained in a (see manual) setup instead of in-game where network pieces and their brothers have long quote boxes obstructing folks view.

mgb204

Regardless of how many other games allow it to be removed, to my knowledge this isn't possible without tricks for SC4.

However, j-dub's suggestion might have some merit to it, usually such things are just a PNG file or UI element somewhere that can be easily overridden.

Andreas

To solve this issue without too much tinkering, I'd suggest to make small LTEXT strings with just the name of a particular piece as default, and add a set with extended text as separate DAT with LTEXT files for "novice" users or those that wish additional hints for those pieces. The installer could have an option for that, and selecting it would install the separate DATs that override the default short texts. Separating LTEXT files would also make it easier to create translations (I kinda want to make an updated German one, if only I'd find the time...).
Andreas