• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTT9

This is just amazing!!! No need for SimCity2013, the NAM Team has made SimCity5 posible ;)
You can call me Matt

gn_leugim

I use FAR a lot, not it will be easier :O

will streers get the same treatment? :p it would be a shame only roads to be like this.. image old downtowns or rural areas with dragfar streets :o

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: gn_leugim on January 09, 2013, 01:04:26 PM
will streers get the same treatment?

Problem with Streets is something called Autoconnect, so the footprints chosen for draggable FAR (or INRUL-based FAR) won't be very helpful. However, a similar development related to this, in case you weren't paying close attention to Maarten's farming zones in the vid...

A few months ago, I had announced a few new FAR pieces involving Street connections...

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 16, 2012, 09:05:44 AM
Perhaps it's time that I've spilled the beans...

Here are the transit tiles involved in the creation of last week's bass guitar.

Now, as you all know, wealthification of puzzle pieces is extremely tricky to do, unless an advanced T21 is used instead, which is a drag, of course, but hopefully, this will be enough that will draw people into using these pieces.

These are FAR-2 pieces, in case you were wondering, and no, Daniel wasn't involved this time (Shadow Assassin). Mostly Memo with the implementation, and myself with testing its scrutiny. Since the creation of said guitar, a few other intersections have been coded in, with similar crossings being added for FAR-3.

May the droolfest begin.

I "lied". They're also draggable. (Note that I never said puzzle piece, and also take note the choice of words I used.)

For the record, Autoconnect is also a problem with FARHW.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

sunv123

With this, FAR will finally get the use it deserves. Thanks so much for this. :thumbsup:
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

wouanagaine

You guys are crazy !
Thanks for the hard work and sharing

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Glazert

This really is impressive. It is going to be well worth learning to use. I will be able to draw roads without having to think about about any real limits on direction. I know that there is still a grid somewhere in the game, and that will still shape lots, but no longer the road layout.

Jack_wilds

kudos to memo and the entire NAM Team for such a invaluable functional improvement...  :thumbsup:   &apls

memo

I am glad the idea of draggable FAR goes down that well. ;D But be warned, I imagine, if you have not dragged as many fractionally angled roads as I have, getting used to it may take some time at the beginning.

Fractional Streets are currently not planned. However, there will be 45° and 90° curves.

Also, special thanks to Ganaram and the rest of the team for constant feedback and testing.

teddyrised

Brilliant work with the draggable FAR-2 and FAR-3 &apls I can imagine the amount of work going into this - and more importantly, we can be somewhat independent of filler pieces for FARs as weathification is supported.

Out of curiousity, how does this version of draggable FAR avoid the Maxis Car Ferry crash that beleaguered the previous incarnation of draggable FAR? I'm a little interested in the mechanics behind it.

memo

I'm not sure what you mean, but I can affirm that you will still be able to use the Maxis Car Ferry without any impacts.

It pretty much works similar to diagonal streets. For diagonal streets, you drag a zig-zag pattern which then converts to diagonal streets. For FAR, it is the same technique, just with a different pattern.

Tarkus

The old version, which caused the Car Ferry crash, basically just added an AutoPlace line to the existing FAR puzzle pieces.  The puzzle piece would get automatically placed whenever that particular setup was built with the Road network.  Because the underlying TE setup under the Car Ferry matched the setup that triggered the puzzle piece to be placed, the game would try to place the puzzle piece over the ferry terminal (a TE Lot), instantly causing a CTD.

The new version is based entirely from INRULs and RUL2 overrides.  Rather than being a puzzle piece that is placed through draggable means, it's a full-on draggable network item.  That also means it's overrideable.

-Alex

Kitsune

that is amazing... making far more user friendly .. great !
~ NAM Team Member

teddyrised

Quote from: memo on January 09, 2013, 03:45:27 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, but I can affirm that you will still be able to use the Maxis Car Ferry without any impacts.

It pretty much works similar to diagonal streets. For diagonal streets, you drag a zig-zag pattern which then converts to diagonal streets. For FAR, it is the same technique, just with a different pattern.

I'm sorry if I didn't make my question clearer - actually I got a little confused the second time reading it, too :P I get the diagonal street analogy, like what Tarkus has mentioned :) so basically it's no longer a puzzle piece (which I suppose why weathification is possible... no?)

Nonetheless, amazing work again :) You guys have to pop a bottle of champagne, or something! ()stsfd()

Simcoug

WOW!  You have just made SC13 irrelevant.   &apls

One question regarding the wealth textures... will they be compatible with the current wealth textures?  In other words, will Paengs sandstone override work with these FAR textures?

Tarkus

The wealthification is designed to use either the default or whatever sidewalk mod you might have, and will change based on the type of zoning adjacent to it, just like the default orthogonal and diagonal networks.

-Alex

Simcoug

You've just added 10 more years onto SC4s shelf life.   :thumbsup:

jdenm8

Quote from: NCGAIO on January 09, 2013, 12:02:42 PM
??? was in ST before but anyway a big joke on top of the guitar (6:00) ... curious to see what will be commented in the official site about it!

I was actually the one who made the guitar (I was kinda sick of them posting robots and crap) and there was no official recognition from what I can tell. Though, they did stop posting novelty cities for a while.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jmdude1

this is a great addition to the game! it's great that wealthification or whatever you call it is included. i always enjoy using FAR pieces but having so many open spaces next to them took away from the effect. it's also great to see the ability to connect streets and roads. well done!
will there be any FAR upgrades for avenues?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jmdude1 on January 09, 2013, 08:45:49 PM
will there be any FAR upgrades for avenues?

There are a few problems with using the Avenue network, and it goes beyond its funny zoning property that wealthifies the entire AVE and not the adjacent tiles. It would  entail dragging AVEs into one another in an awkward way, and demolishing it would demolish more than it's supposed to.

Oh, and the proper name is FA-3 AVE-4, not FAAVE-4.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

fifteenrocket

Will the Draggable FAR pieces have the ability to intergrate to the SAM and The single railroad mod? Will it also have the capability to work with the NWM and the RHW? IM just as curious to know what will happen with the great work you guys do.