• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GRV II-Challenge No 1

Started by mrbisonm, March 16, 2009, 07:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Rayden, BarbyW is right. It's not a nuisance btw to get informed properly....I will be clearer the next time with the challenges.
Now....Roads/streets have to be connected to the neighboring region (simnation as some call it) on either side of the citytile, and this on Tile A and Tile M only only. Plus you need to run the road/street through 4 more citytiles, meaning a total of 6 citytiles (with A and M), not 1 more, nor 1 less.
Then....Rails have to be connected just as the roads/streets to their neighboring region and run through a total of 6 citytiles, just as the roads/streets, BUT....they can start and stop anywhere on the map, in any citytile and are not defined to be in A or M only. That is up to you to decide. We wnat to see the most logical decisions on how you run your roads/streets and rails.

metarvo, as it says in the challenge, you can use SAM roads/streets for the construction of the road/street challenge. If you want to upgrade it to something later is to your liberty, but not before the picture for Challenge 1.
Presuming that STR is the single track railroad, No, it is not allowed and I am sorry for not having mentioned it before. It says in the challenge that we want to see rails only, we meant , like The_Hutt and mightygoose said so well, only the original Maxis rails using as a single route.

Good luck

mrb ;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Splime

After Challenge 1, will Single Track Rail be allowed for branches off of the main line?

metarvo

I'm sorry to bother you again, but...

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 17, 2009, 10:04:22 AM
only the original Maxis rails using as a single route.

...does this mean no FARR or wide curves for rails, either?  Also, what about FAR and wide curves for roads, or wide curves for SAM streets?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mightygoose

Quote from: metarvo on March 17, 2009, 10:14:03 AM
I'm sorry to bother you again, but...

...does this mean no FARR or wide curves for rails, either?  Also, what about FAR and wide curves for roads, or wide curves for SAM streets?

Well FARR & FAR are still the standard maxis network type so are allowed. STR is a non standard type and is not allowed. just follow the logic.

Quote from: Splime on March 17, 2009, 10:12:14 AM
After Challenge 1, will Single Track Rail be allowed for branches off of the main line?

I would assume so as you have free reign once the challenge pics are uploaded.

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 17, 2009, 10:04:22 AM
Rayden, BarbyW is right. It's not a nuisance btw to get informed properly....I will be clearer the next time with the challenges.
Now....Roads/streets have to be connected to the neighboring region (simnation as some call it) on either side of the citytile, and this on Tile A and Tile M only only. Plus you need to run the road/street through 4 more citytiles, meaning a total of 6 citytiles (with A and M), not 1 more, nor 1 less.
Then....Rails have to be connected just as the roads/streets to their neighboring region and run through a total of 6 citytiles, just as the roads/streets, BUT....they can start and stop anywhere on the map, in any citytile and are not defined to be in A or M only. That is up to you to decide. We wnat to see the most logical decisions on how you run your roads/streets and rails.

metarvo, as it says in the challenge, you can use SAM roads/streets for the construction of the road/street challenge. If you want to upgrade it to something later is to your liberty, but not before the picture for Challenge 1.
Presuming that STR is the single track railroad, No, it is not allowed and I am sorry for not having mentioned it before. It says in the challenge that we want to see rails only, we meant , like The_Hutt and mightygoose said so well, only the original Maxis rails using as a single route.

Good luck

mrb ;)

It seems I made a Fubar then, I interpreted the rules to mean at least six tiles, obviously i didn't read them correctly. my mistake, checking back, it seems I did only use six tiles for each, bonus, ignore this last part.

MG

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Rayden

Quote from: BarbyW on March 17, 2009, 08:01:22 AMIf you look at my region picture Fred asked for a zoom 1 of tile A as my connection for the rail is not visible so he needed to check there was one. Hope this makes it clearer.

That's because I've seen your pictures, I wasn't sure if I had read the rules clearly or not. ;)

Diggis

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 16, 2009, 07:50:49 AM
1.  1 Picture in Regionview under trafficview with your roads/streets and rails clearly showing (no paintjob/photoshop)

Quick question... when you say no photoshop, I would like to add a border and a logo to all pics, is this OK?

wouanagaine

Quote from: Diggis on March 17, 2009, 01:07:06 PM
Quick question... when you say no photoshop, I would like to add a border and a logo to all pics, is this OK?
Seeing that others ( Mightygoose ) made such border and Fred didn't complain, I think it is ok

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

mightygoose

the no photoshop in that case means no adding bits to the content of the image, like cars that aren't there, changing road textures, smoothing road curves, etc. generic presentation elements, borders, filters, labels etc are allowed.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

mrbisonm

Splime , Yes, after the first challenge, you can build whatever you want, except the things mentioned in the Rules that are not supposed to be build without permissions (highways, harbors, airports, etc)

metarvo, wide curves with double Maxis rails are allowed, but not the single tracked rails. I have to check what FAR and FARR actually is first to give an answer on this.

Wide curves for roads/streets, incl. SAM are also allowed, they are considered as roads and streets.

Can someone please explain me roughly and quickly what FARR and FAR is? I can't find much about it and I don't have time to read a 40 page thread to see what it exactly is. Thanks.

Diggis, Please go back to page 1 of this thread, everything is well explained there, with pictures (about halfway down the page) Yes, logo and frames are allowed.

mightygoose and wouanagaine, thanks for helping out. Appreciated.

mrb

Splime

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 17, 2009, 04:40:21 PMCan someone please explain me roughly and quickly what FARR and FAR is? I can't find much about it and I don't have time to read a 40 page thread to see what it exactly is. Thanks.

This picture, taken from the 3RR, shows a switch between the regular rail (bottom) and FARR (top). The FARR isn't quite diagonal, but it definitely isn't orthogonal either. The FAR is just like this, except it's a road instead of a railroad.

mrbisonm

Geeez, do you have a link for this to download please? That looks awsome!

Yes, these are allowed, because they are roads/streets and rails, as long as they look like the original ones (see the warning about intersections below). Sam is allowed in all its splender anyways.

Thanks Splime for the explanation, much appreciated.

WARNING: Using the "Y" sections of FARR or FARR though during the first Challenge is NOT allowed since it is seen as an intersection and which was clearly said in the Challenge 1 thread not to create : No Intersection of the road/street/rail. "$Deal"$

mrb

Splime

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 17, 2009, 05:27:01 PM
Geeez, do you have a link for this to download please? That looks awsome!

It's included in the latest NAM. The should be an icon in the Roads menu titled "FAR/Wide Radius Curves". (And of course one in the Rail menu for the FARR.)

jjune4991

Quote from: mrbisonm link=topic=7278.msg231378#msg231378 date=1237336021

color=red]WARNING: [/color] Using the "Y" sections of FARR or FARR though during the first Challenge is NOT allowed since it is seen as an intersection and which was clearly said in the Challenge 1 thread not to create : No Intersection of the road/street/rail. "$Deal"$

mrb

but the road and rail can intersect each other correct?
Wha??? Where am I? Oh, that's right! I'm here!

mrbisonm

Quote from: jjune4991
but the road and rail can intersect each other correct?
/quote]

Roads can cross rails or vice versa, no problem. Intersections of roads alone and rails alone are not permitted.

mrb

Korot

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 17, 2009, 05:27:01 PM
WARNING: Using the "Y" sections of FARR or FARR though during the first Challenge is NOT allowed since it is seen as an intersection and which was clearly said in the Challenge 1 thread not to create : No Intersection of the road/street/rail.
mrb

You say in black that  "you're not allowed to create no intersection" which means that not having an intersection is not allowed, and thus you'll have to have at least one intersection, although I'm pretty certain that you don't want us (well, the players, as I'm not in this round) to build an intersection. Could you please explain this?

Edit: Now the only thing in black is that what I meant, which still shows a double negative and as thus is positive in that you have to build an intersection between road x road/ rail x rail, as that is what should be forbidden, but isn't if you read this statement properly.

Rayden

Quote from: Korot on March 18, 2009, 10:32:27 AM
You say in black that  "you're not allowed to create no intersection" which means that not having an intersection is not allowed, and thus you'll have to have at least one intersection, although I'm pretty certain that you don't want us (well, the players, as I'm not in this round) to build an intersection. Could you please explain this?

I don't see any discrepancy on the text, the "NOT" clearly refers to first sentence of the phrase which should have a coma after the allowed, but it doesn't get associated to the "not to create" sentence. It is associated to the "Y" sections of FAR or FARR.

jjune4991

^^ he messed up. he means that we are not allowed to have intersections between roads or rails. but we are allowed to have the road and rail intersect each other. one straight shot of rail, one straight shot of road.
Wha??? Where am I? Oh, that's right! I'm here!

Pat

eeks OK I am sooo confused now... After missing the Monday start of the first challenge and even though Ive been reading all the long about the first challenge I am soo confused, heeelp!!!

OK what I am wondering about is that we have to start in A and end in M right? We have to go threw 6 tiles to make Route 10 and we have to go threw either B E or H? Could we go threw all 3 of them or does it have to be just 1 and 1 only?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Splime

The only reason you have to go through B, E, or H is that its impossible to not go through them on the way from A to M (unless you pretend the road leaves the region and comes back, which isn't allowed.) You can go through all three of B, E, and H if you really want to. (In fact, that's what I did, and so did a few others.)

Pat

Thank you splime that is what I was wondering as since i didnt check out anyone elses yet as I felt that would be cheating on my behalf lol....  I kinda was thinking going threw all 3 as the way to go but then I saw someone saying only go threw 1... That is why I gotten confussed... But now I know and again thank you splime  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie