• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GRV II-Challenge No 1

Started by mrbisonm, March 16, 2009, 07:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjune4991

Wha??? Where am I? Oh, that's right! I'm here!

mrbisonm

Quote from: jjune4991 on March 16, 2009, 04:04:13 PM
we can use FAR and FARR???

I feel stupid, but what is FAR or FARR?

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

BarbyW

They are a new addition to NAM and have a variety of curved road and rail pieces. You will see them in my tile A picture tomorrow.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Splime

FAR and FARR stand for Fractional Angle Roads and Fractional Angle Railroads. They are 18.7 degrees off of regular roads. They come with the January 2009 and March 2009 Versions of the NAM. You can see many examples in the Three Rivers Region.

(x-post w/ BarbyW)

jjune4991

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 16, 2009, 04:09:02 PM
I feel stupid, but what is FAR or FARR?

don't feel stupid. i just downloaded them last week!! and barbyw and splime explained it. they came in the newest NAM!!!

mrbisonm

Well hey, I already have them with the latest NAM, still figuring out why they have a different texture on diagonals than my rails and how to fix this. But I didn't know what they were called. I feel better now, knowing what FAR is... ;)

Thanks for the info.
mrb

jjune4991

yea!!! it has a different texture than my rails too! maybe i wont use it just yet then...find a skin for them or something.

The_Hutt

If I use the new NAM rural road textures for my road will I be able to "restripe" them as a normal road later on when I develop around them?

Splime

Quote from: jjune4991 on March 16, 2009, 07:03:53 PM
yea!!! it has a different texture than my rails too! maybe i wont use it just yet then...find a skin for them or something.

When you install the new NAM, there should be a setting where you select your rail textures. I'm pretty sure you want Andreas' darker rail textures. (They can also be found in the SFBT Rail Mod.)

XiahouDun

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 16, 2009, 02:36:08 PM
XiahouDun, as it says in the challenge, you must connect the road or rails to the neighboring region. It doesn't matter on which side, as long as they are connected in tile A and M.
My apologies. I read that to mean neighboring cities since I am used to it being called SimNation.
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

mrbisonm

XiahouDun, neighbor = simnation, now that I know that you use the word simnation here, I will try not to forget. Sorry for not being more precise. I should have said Neighboring Region and Neighboring City.

Splime, thanks for the info, got Andreas' textures, everything looks good now.

The_Hutt, Yeah, I forgot about those SAM (Nam rural roads) and RHM (rural Highway) textures not showing up in regionview. Yes ,you are allowed to do redraw your lines with paint etc as long as you use the same color, so that we don't get mixed up, and please mention it when doing it. Thanks.

mrb

CabraBuitre

One question of clarification... The challenge asks for roads and rails (and DOES say "only") but what about transit related buildings (for example, toll booths and/or ferry crossings)?  Are these acceptable in the challenge, as ferry crossings (and the appropriate tolls to USE the ferry :thumbsup:) is certainly one way that the river may be crossed...

Check out Abelfarei!

The_Hutt

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 16, 2009, 09:23:20 PMThe_Hutt, Yeah, I forgot about those SAM (Nam rural roads) and RHM (rural Highway) textures not showing up in regionview. Yes ,you are allowed to do redraw your lines with paint etc as long as you use the same color, so that we don't get mixed up, and please mention it when doing it. Thanks.

mrb
I'm not sure you understood my question. I'm not talking about region view, I'm talking about literally repaving the road in the game. For example:

If I have "A" now, could I simply repave it with "B" later on? There's no functional difference between the two, the centerline striping is just slightly different.

---

Also, I have a second question: is this too much terraforming? Or is this acceptable because it is for a bridge lead-up? I'm erring on the side of the latter but would like to play it safe by asking you.

Thanks.

jmyers2043

Quotei just downloaded them last week!!

Ha! I downloaded the 2009 NAM this past Sunday (a mere 3 days ago). I previously had the 2007 NAM or perhaps something earlier. I am having a ball using the newer, gentler, curves for route 10 and the railways too. Hope I am not causing myself some later city building problems.  ::)
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

CabraBuitre, like it says in the Challenge : Roads/Streets, rails ONLY. A ferry is NOT a road/street/rail. There is a reason for this (will be explained later when the challenge has ended). Ferries can be build later at your guise, so can the tollbooths.
Right now we are asking a simple way to get sims through that region either by roads/streets or by rails. Good luck.

The_Hutt, sorry for having misunderstood your question. Yes, redoing your roads will be allowed as you showed on the picture. No problem there.
Now for the rails, as it says in the Rule Section, Yes you are allowed to slightly terraform the terrain for better road/rail construction, also smoothing out riverbanks for seawalls constructions. And what you showed on the pictures is no problem to us, since in real life this is seen quite often, therefore it is not considered as terraforming for our judgements. Btw, that rail picture looks nice.

jmyers2043, geeez, what have you been doing without the 2009 NAM anyays?...lol. Great stuff that is.

mrb

Rayden

Sorry Fred if I'm being a nuissance, but, as you said, to explain everything in English could be tricky. If the rail rules of this challenge are clear, the line has to start and end at neighbouring connections, the road rules don't, and my first impression is it has to start at tile A, and end at Tile M connecting to the neighbours, but clearly fails to indicate if the start has to be also a neighbouring connection or just a start somewhere on tile A. I can see Barb has done road and rails both starting and ending at the edges of the tiles (neighbour connection), but for example, I was starting my road in the middle of tile A.
Can you please let us know clearly where to start and end ther road/street network?

Cheers

Silvio

BarbyW

Silvio, both the road and the rail networks have to connect to the neighbouring region so you cannot start your road in the middle of tile A. It must start at one of the edges and continue through at least 4 tiles to end at the edge of tile M. The rail also has to connect to simnation and each end but as long as you go through 6 tiles the rest of the choice is yours. If you look at my region picture Fred asked for a zoom 1 of tile A as my connection for the rail is not visible so he needed to check there was one. Hope this makes it clearer.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

metarvo

Building on The_Hutt's question, is it legal to build Route 10 as a Maxis or SAM Street and upgrade it to a Road later, or build STR for the rail required in Challenge 1 and upgrade it to regular Rail later?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

The_Hutt

Quote from: metarvo on March 17, 2009, 09:15:41 AM
Building on The_Hutt's question, is it legal to build Route 10 as a Maxis or SAM Street and upgrade it to a Road later, or build STR for the rail required in Challenge 1 and upgrade it to regular Rail later?
To my knowledge, STR is not required in Challenge 1. When he says a single line he's not referring to the number of tracks, he referring to a single route.

mightygoose

Quote from: The_Hutt on March 17, 2009, 09:32:42 AM
To my knowledge, STR is not required in Challenge 1. When he says a single line he's not referring to the number of tracks, he referring to a single route.

I'm sure he specified it must double track rail in the rules.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....