• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramona Brie

Mmmm...wow! That's actually quite amazing just to see.

Not sure if it fits my city building style though, but this is almost Holy Grail territory here, Tarkus. *bows down*

jacksunny

I always thought double-deckers were impossible. Guess I thought wrong...  &apls  &apls  &apls  &apls  &apls  &apls  &apls  &apls

jdenm8

Well, Now that's Tarkus has shown off the network, I guess it'll be okay to show off the transition he forgot :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Who would thought, rail would be the answer. What gave you that idea?
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

j-dub

What about rail? I have a rail this close to this intersection; yes its small, but I don't have a huge amount of time these days.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/rhwrightx.jpg/

Not the secret as far as I know, but I don't think this was explained.

GDO29Anagram

I'm pretty sure this is the question that's on FPoSC4D's mind (And probably on everyone else's mind): How did you find out that Rail can be used for DDRHWs?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Wiimeiser

Even better question, can freight trains be made to use monorails (Specifically HSR)?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Thank you all for the kind words--I'm glad you're finding SecretNetwork to your liking.  The bowing business isn't necessary, though--just doing my job.  :)

Now to answer a few lingering questions:

Quote from: ivo_su on June 05, 2011, 02:25:08 PM
I think my arguments Alex inclined to show us this miracle of miracles.

Actually, I had planned to put the video out this weekend all along. ::)

Regarding the whole Rail-based approach, it was kind of a thought I've had in the back of my mind since discussing capacities on the Traffic Simulator with z some time ago.  Originally, I had planned to use Monorail--in large part because of the network cost--but there are some presumably .exe-controlled quirks with that network that prevent any non-Monorail traffic from using it.  (So to answer your question, Wiimeiser, unfortunately, no.)

I also tried Elevated Light Rail, but the auto-supports did some funny things to the road decks, so I had to go with Rail. 

Now to answer a few questions pre-emptively before someone else asks:

Why 15m and 22.5m for the two decks?  Will there be additional heights?

In RL, most double-decker highways are elevated substantially and usually pass over any potential obstacles.  Setting the bottom deck at 15m (or Level 2/L2 as it will be known when we get closer to RHW 5.0) means that both ground-level and future 7.5m (Level 1/L1) networks can pass under it.  22.5m (Level 3/L3) for the top deck means that in the rarer instances in which a network needs to pass over top, the future 30m (Level 4/L4) networks can do the job.

Thus, this deck arrangement appears to be the most practical and realistic.  There seems to be little usable application for different heights (especially those with ground-level decks), and the chances of seeing them is virtually nil.

Will there be additional widths?

Most likely yes, though not in Version 4.2.  The highest priority would be for a DDRHW-8.

What all will this thing be able to cross over?

At least Orthogonal crossings will be provided in Version 4.2.  Most Maxis networks and most RHW networks are already supported on that front in this stage of development, as is GLR and GHSR.  NWM networks will be supported as well, though they haven't yet been implemented.  Maxis Ground Highway support will have to be provided by puzzle piece, because the draggable connection is occupied with the default, unoverridable AutoPlace Rail-over-Maxis Highway overpass.

Can this thing make bridges?

;)

-Alex

Wiimeiser

So it was an error on EA's behalf that made this all possible?

JoeST

:o :o :o

simply stunning, thank you so much NAMites, fantastic!

so, will the doubledecker bridge (road and rail) be doable now somehow? XD

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Kitsune

Quote from: JoeST on June 06, 2011, 02:17:57 AM
:o :o :o

simply stunning, thank you so much NAMites, fantastic!

so, will the doubledecker bridge (road and rail) be doable now somehow? XD

Joe

Nothing more then I would love to get my hands on the double decker tsing-ma... re-textured for RHW. Even if it came with a big warning about traffic issues...
~ NAM Team Member

MandelSoft

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 06, 2011, 01:34:20 AM
So it was an error on EA's behalf that made this all possible?
It's not a bug, it's a feature!  ;)

No, seriously, this is just an unused feature. Who would use car paths on railways? Well, we do  :P
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

TJ1

Hey you guys(it just hit me for some odd reason)ive noticed that there is a big difference in the height of a road or a highway over another and its much higher over, rail like the default 15m, and in the game its all the same 15m but in real life its not like that(at least not in the U.S), it should be like 8m or 7.5m of all road and highway networks overpass each other vise versa. And roads and highways should be overpassing rail by the default 15m and rail should over pass roads and highways by 8m or 7.5m by default, 15m to me is to high and unrealistic for a default over everything,and if that does come in the game by the nam team we should be given an option of what height we want of the networks crossing each other like use the end and home keys to shift between 8m(or 7.5m) and 15m and the other future heights(22.5m on up) so on and so forth. Ya know what i mean? Please correct me if im wrong about anything.  ()what()

jdenm8

15m was selected for two reasons: Maxis chose 15m for Elevated Rail and the creator of the Elevated Road viaducts chose to copy that height.
7.5m across most of the RHW networks will be available in RHW 5.0. 22.5 and 30m overpasses are in consideration for two reasons: The Dallas High-Five interchange (highest ramp tops out at 30m above ground) and Volleyball interchanges (which uses most of the heights in the easiest to build configuration)

7.5m Maxis Network overpass heights have been worked on on occasion, but there is no significant effort behind them.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

TJ1

Thanks jdenm8,for getting that out of the way for me :thumbsup: It was just bothering me in the last few minutes lol

Wiimeiser

Okay, in theory, does this mean that if a network is coded to allow only one type of traffic, it's allowed only that one, but if it can use multiple it can use them all?

noahclem

Quote from: Kitsune on June 06, 2011, 03:01:40 AM
Nothing more then I would love to get my hands on the double decker tsing-ma... re-textured for RHW. Even if it came with a big warning about traffic issues...

The problem with Tsing-Ma is that it would have to be at least 2 tiles wide. While cars are happy to travel along the rail network if it is correctly enabled, trains are quite stubborn about not traveling along your cities' avenues and highways which are of course the only 2-tile networks (incidentally, they won't use roads either). But while a normal draggable bridge solution for Tsing-Ma would be impossible there are a couple work-arounds that could eventually make it or something similar feasible. I wouldn't advise holding your breath on that one but a one-tile rail/road bridge falls easily within the realm of what's currently possible. Xannepan has already released tram-in-road bridges on the LEX and rail-above-road is very similar in concept.

@TJ1 - Yeah, the 7.5m networks are going to be awesome. Just look at how much more realistic the parts of the game which are already similar to that height look now--FLUPs, avenue tunnels, and rail tunnels. Let's hope for the best for developments in that direction  ;)

Terring7

Butter for my bread, at last my Terran highways will be totally futuristic :)&apls
This technique can be available in other transit systems as well? For example, how about double decker rail roads? ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Also, will DDRHW-(4?) have MIS ramps be included in 4.2?
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

ivo_su

This revolutionary new network with that I think will be of enormous benefit in the future when perhaps we will bridge the two levels. As the lower level will have a railway track on them with asphalt roadways. Just when I think about  this new network is like a periodic table. There's so important for  the development of NAM from here.
I wish you the new and great success guys.

Ivo