• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

The first version looks more like what I'm used to seeing.  Of course, that's in the U.S...

Dino007

Since I'm from Europe I like the european version.
TIGR

deathtopumpkins

NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

j-dub

Riiga, I have driven on this!

This one is your US merging texture I have seen in reality. I would go with this if you were going to go US. Nice texture work.

Ryan B.

Right idea with the arrows, but not the right ones.  Let me find those for you.

Here:  http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2003r1r2/ch3.pdf 

Page 40 of 72, designated Page 3B-32 - Part F (Lane Reduction Arrow).

riiga

I've now edited the texture according to what j-dub and burgsabre87 said. The result is below:

Looking better?

- riiga

TEG24601

You still need to make the lines along the median yellow (yellow on left, white on right), and I think the center lines need to be angled up a little more, other than that, it is looking good.

nerdly_dood

I think the lines' angle is fine, but the shorter lines are usually restricted to protected turn lanes, rather than a lane ending or beginning. The standard dashed line stops cold usually, without ending in a different set of lines to show that the lane ends or that another begins. This one below from your post at the top of this page shows that perfectly - that would be perfect once you turn the inside shoulder line yellow. (Our lane-ends arrow is like how you have it in your latest version, but I think the one in the image below looks better)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

riiga

Ok, now I've made the inner line yellow and removed the short lines. Results below:

vs.

- riiga

nerdly_dood

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

For those of you wondering, yes, I did indeed do a smooth Road/Avenue transition about 7 months ago.  Had it mostly working except it didn't have pedestrian pathing yet and the CheckTypes in the RUL were acting up a little.

The dimensions are the exact same as riiga has done above . . . which, I should add, look fantastic!  The only suggestion I have is to actually take the arrows off the texture. 

Arrows/stop lines, unless they're clearly denoting some sort of special functionality (turn lanes) can become problematic in mirroring the piece or making LHD versions, so I'd recommend adding them on using a flat model with a T21 exemplar, rather than building them into the actual texture.

Otherwise, excellent work!

-Alex

riiga

To summarize this, these are final textures I came up with :)

As Alex stated, it would probably be better to add the arrows some other way. Then you'll be able to chose what type of arrow you'd like.

- riiga

wes.janson

Am I glad I decided to check this thread.

Great job on those textures, they look superb.  :thumbsup:

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

lf420

Very well done on those textures!  :thumbsup:

Ryan B.

Riiga, that's perfection.

Alex, good point about the arrows. 

Well done all around.  :)

j-dub

Good.  &apls I would say Alex's texture still is necessary for road to TLA, and Riiga's final texture result is looking good for the Avenues, especially with that mod that makes the avenue median lines yellow.

delta9

Quote from: mrtnrln on April 12, 2009, 09:22:02 AM
Agreed. I use smooth curves at rural area's, but not in cities, because they don't fit in cities, because they are missing sidewalks. It would be nice to have both options available.

Best,
Maarten

If I didn't have Vista and could use the Reader I would teach myself T21's and do the wealth levels myself, because I feel the same way. I absolutely love the smooth curve and FAR T21's by sithlrd but it's inflexible with just an on or off option. I would also remove a few of the trees, it's a little busy for me. Then again, you can't intersect it so I kind of like the extreme level of foliage, it looks nice in dense or suburban areas. Can you T21 by density? Hell, I can't do it anyway, right?

Is there anything a Vista user can do?  &mmm

riiga

Quote from: delta9 on April 15, 2009, 10:07:02 PM
If I didn't have Vista and could use the Reader I would teach myself T21's and do the wealth levels myself, because I feel the same way. I absolutely love the smooth curve and FAR T21's by sithlrd but it's inflexible with just an on or off option. I would also remove a few of the trees, it's a little busy for me. Then again, you can't intersect it so I kind of like the extreme level of foliage, it looks nice in dense or suburban areas. Can you T21 by density? Hell, I can't do it anyway, right?

Is there anything a Vista user can do?  &mmm

Strange... I use Vista and the Reader works flawlessly.

delta9

Quote from: riiga on April 15, 2009, 11:20:51 PM
Strange... I use Vista and the Reader works flawlessly.

Oops... I got it mixed up with another program or two... SC4Tool I think, and the terrain programs. Yeah, oops. I never seriously considered modding stuff until very recently so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing my stuff  ()stsfd()

Well then, what's stopping me? Those tutorials looked easy enough, if I could learn C++ and Java in high school I can do this... right?  :D... hmm sounds fun  ;D

metasmurf

If we had high res props with these arrows, arrows on asphalt wouldn't be necessary.

These are taken from the Swedish road department's website. There's some good stuff that could do for textures at http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/Vag/Trafikregler-vagmarken/Vagmarken/ (in Swedish though)