• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gn_leugim

great work here.. when it will be released?  :)

Andreas

Andreas

thundercrack83

Glad to see the consolidation here, Alex! You've got a ton of great projects happening simultaneously, this should make things a bit easier for you. At least I hope it does! Good luck, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more development, my friend!

Dustin

tacall

Edgware

Quote from: j-dub on May 04, 2008, 07:17:41 PM

Left on green arrow only
Edgware, you actually like that? Getting stuck at one of these left turn signal lights, with the extra amount of time you have to wait doesn't bother you?
Left turn on green arrow only, now really? If yes, that would be cool programing, but in reality there is always chance of getting stuck for longer, an emergency vehicle or train passes by, the censors broke, or some jerk blocks me at the last minute, so I try to go to intersections below as much as possible, because it all has happened to me. Okay no ones looking, no traffic cams, floor it!

(just a example idea)

Yeah that's what i meant.  Now, not to say that i enjoy that kind of red arrow even when the regular is green but.
If you're trying to make it more realistic, this is what is normally done at the intersection of very wide roads.  I mean you could also have one of those "Left turn yield on green" things.  The reason one would do that is too avoid a collision.  In this picture |  that you posted j-dub,

it seems that the left arrow is red while regulars are green.  Which is more realistic, I'm just asking if I need glasses or if I saw the picture correctly.
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

Tarkus

Yes, Edgware, there is indeed a red light there on that third signal.  I'm not entirely certain why, as my understanding of the way traffic signals work in-game is only moderate, but my guess would be because that particular signal is on the next tile over, it can be phased differently as a result.  I've noticed this happening with the Avenue Turning Lanes, as well as the various TLA intersections I've managed to complete and signalize.  Swamper or smoncrie may have a better explanation.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Meastro444

Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Edgware

Oh I thought was intentional.  Because, a good amount of real traffic signals do work that way.  The roads are so wide that is is very dangerous to simply have people turning left while the opposite direction is going straight.  So I ask are you planning to do anything with a turning phase in the lights? 
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

j-dub

It could just be a result of loading. Occasionally I still see that happen with the left turn lanes in my game. When I first get to that area, the light over the turn lane might get stuck, but then corrects itself when the two lights on the right change after. A turning phase would be cool for any video game simulated traffic. They tried to use the turn arrow lights I picutured in Transformers the game, but those light with the arrow under the green, just were stuck. What this amounts to is, I don't think any game with a simulated traffic system could do this, so no one may know how to program this. EXE is limited.

Edgware

yeah, it does seem a bit unlikely that it's even possible in the game.  if however you do manage to find a way to impement that system, that would make traffic flow better and prevent accidents.
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

Starmanw402007

Thanks guys for giving us an update from this project. I love all the new pictures and different types of roads you guys have outlined. Keep Up The Great Work and keep those updates coming!!
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

Swamper77

Quote from: Tarkus on May 05, 2008, 02:20:00 PM
Yes, Edgware, there is indeed a red light there on that third signal.  I'm not entirely certain why, as my understanding of the way traffic signals work in-game is only moderate, but my guess would be because that particular signal is on the next tile over, it can be phased differently as a result.  I've noticed this happening with the Avenue Turning Lanes, as well as the various TLA intersections I've managed to complete and signalize.  Swamper or smoncrie may have a better explanation.

-Alex (Tarkus)

This is just a "hiccup" from the game when the signal is close to the opposite side of the avenue. After the first cycle of the intersection, it fixes itself and the signal is back in phase with the others.

While it would be nice to have protected left turns, the game is far too simplistic in it's engine to support that. :(

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Heblem

Excellent work! I want to thank you for your efforts to make better our game, thanks!  :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

Edgware

Quote from: Swamper77 on May 05, 2008, 07:09:07 PM
This is just a "hiccup" from the game when the signal is close to the opposite side of the avenue. After the first cycle of the intersection, it fixes itself and the signal is back in phase with the others.

While it would be nice to have protected left turns, the game is far too simplistic in it's engine to support that. :(

-Swamper

Oh I see.  Yeah, they probably do have the technology, but this game is too old.  Maybe when the real sim city 5 comes out it will be possible. 

So is that a straight signal or does it have an arrow.
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

Swamper77

Quote from: Edgware on May 06, 2008, 01:46:51 PM
Oh I see.  Yeah, they probably do have the technology, but this game is too old.  Maybe when the real sim city 5 comes out it will be possible. 

So is that a straight signal or does it have an arrow.

It is just a straight signal, and a single prop at that. There are three single traffic signal props, one over each lane.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Edgware

oh ok i understand.  anyways project looks cool, you guys are doing a good job :thumbsup:
Cities:

Tenian
Montgomery
Marketville
Bel Air Columbia

Starmanw402007

A Question concerning these new NWM. When the project is completed, Will we be able to decide What type of Avenue,Road or even OWRs be? Just Curious.
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

debutterfly

Great work. Just some reverse psychology. When will the NWM NOT be out?  ;)  By the way, how's the progress on the RULs coming along?