• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

MouseBats

Started by Jmouse, September 13, 2012, 07:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

@ Simcoug, Noah and mr curly toes, The deed is done and I appreciate your input. :D

Swordmaster

Wait, can you re-open that door? I hope you're gonna make more than one version of these. . .

Cheers
Willy

art128

The Cabin is wonderful, Joan!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

weixc812

Wow, pretty little cabins!
Will we have some Christmas gifts, lady?  :D
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

FrankU

It's a real beauty!
May I rent it for a while?

Jmouse

Quote from: art128 on December 18, 2012, 03:06:16 PM
The Cabin is wonderful, Joan!

Thank you, Arthur. There will be a few more pieces in the set, including a duplex cabin and a small church.

Quote from: weixc812 on December 19, 2012, 12:31:38 AM
Wow, pretty little cabins!
Will we have some Christmas gifts, lady?

Thank you for stopping by and posting. I wish I could release something for Christmas, but there is still too much work to do.

Quote from: FrankU on December 19, 2012, 03:04:42 AM
It's a real beauty!
May I rent it for a while?

Of course you can, Frank. I'll reserve a cabin just for you. :)

Willy, I answered your question in another forum.

Jmouse

I always enjoy seeing in-progress photos, so that's what you'll see today.

Sometimes BATting can best be described as part guessing game and part learning experience. I have a formula I use to size textures correctly. For example, if a surface is 10x10m, and I have decided that 125 px per m works best, the texture needs to be 1250x1250 px.

This is where the "guessing game" part comes in, though. Every texture is different, so the first stab at establishing the correct formula is often purely guesswork. So here's a first stab and an end result for your entertainment. I'm going to widen the window frames a bit so they will show up better, but the texture-size formula has been established. Your comments are always welcome. :)

-Joan

vester

Maybe just turn the window texture a bit toward the grey.

Swordmaster

Maybe a version with a non-transparent door as well? And some without any color at all.

Cheers
Willy

Jmouse

I am not pleased with the way the night lights turned out, but I decided to go ahead and post anyway. It's still a work in progress, though. It needs roof junk for sure, but I wanted to go ahead and get some comments and suggestions on the overall model.

vester

Great run downed textures  :thumbsup:

Maybe try to turn down the saturation for red.

threestooges

Not bad Joan. The saturation on the siding looks a bit heavy (the game stuff is washed out, so those would stick out a bit), and the light shining on the steps has no visible source that I can see. Is it a porch light? If so, add in the fixture, and that'll anchor it to the building. The other light looks like it's shining out from behind drawn blinds, which I think is kind of a neat effect. What was it you were going for?
-Matt

Jmouse

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm running a bit behind today because I was tapped to babysit while Julie took the Christmas decorations down and tidied things up.

Anyway, here's a little sneak peek. One of the problems was that I had to create the green metal texture from a dingy white one. Then I was afraid the rust wouldn't show up enough. I haven't worked on the roof yet, and I'll address the night-lighting issues tomorrow.

threestooges

That green is perfect now Joan. Looks like it's been there a while. It's hard to tell from the basic preview render, but what are the dimensions? It looks a bit squat.
-Matt

Jmouse

Here we go again. I'm not sure why the stovepipe is illuminated in the North and east views. There's a partition just to the left of the door (second photo) which should prevent a light leak. Every texture has been desaturated by -40, so let me know if you think the rust shows up well enough.

Matt, the light on the stairs is supposed to be shining through the glass door. If it looks wrong, though, I can eliminate it or at least tone it down a bit. I was using self illumination, but somehow it just didn't seem to work out right.

The trailers are close to the same height. Trailer 1 is 22 x 6.75 meters, and trailer 2 is 16.5 x 6.5 meters. Both trailers are elevated 1.5 meters to accommodate the stairs. Maybe the difference in length is making the second model look too small.

mattb325

Quote from: Jmouse on January 06, 2013, 05:37:47 PM
I'm not sure why the stovepipe is illuminated in the North and east views. There's a partition just to the left of the door (second photo) which should prevent a light leak.

Hi Joan

Two options:

1) If the stovepipe extends below the trailer roof (or 'starts beneath', depending on your point of view), it will be illuminated by the interior light. Raise the pipe above the extruded part of the roof plane.

2) Alternatively, you can set the trailer roof to be 'double sided' within the materials editor, but this has yielded mixed results for me and will depend on whether you have used splines or mesh as your starting point.....all in all, point 1 is usually the easiest.

Jmouse

You're exactly right, Matt. I'll just shorten the pipe and fix the issue. Thanks so much for your help. I still have much to learn about the BAT and that's exactly why I decided to go public with my work. It isn't the trailers themselves, it's the way I plan to use them that's a "secret."

Swordmaster

The light on the stairs is probably realistic given that the source is probably on the ceiling. Good work!

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Well I'm a bit late to the party but have to say I'm very happy with how this trailer is progressing  &apls  The lights and textures both seem quite dialed in.

Jmouse

Thanks for your comment, Willy. There are three omnis, and they might need to be toned down just a bit. I'll probably wait and see if Matt shares an opinion.

Thanks, Noah. It often helps to put a project away for a few days, then look at it again from a fresh viewpoint. I'll probably start on a new trailer tomorrow, or start lotting The Lodge.