• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

I always enjoy seeing a new map here, Alex. An excellent job as always with the Los Endos one!

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Dustin

metarvo

I've read Tarkusian Cities from cover to cover, and I must say that I am pleased with what I see, Alex.  Now I know where I can go to get my highway news, when I am not monitoring the progress of the RHW or NWM ::) .
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back (after a lengthy fight with ImageShack ::)) with another road widening project in the City of Los Endos, with the city's eponymous thoroughfare.

A few little mapping loose ends to take care of . . . I decided to measure the "lengthwise" (East-West) oriented city blocks (flowing with the numbered/lettered streets), and found that they were generally about 258 feet (~78.7m).  I set up a "block grid" in Inkscape, and I found out that some of the numbered streets around the east side had some discrepancies with the numberings and didn't fit in the block plan. 

As a result, you'll now notice that the North-South thoroughfare near Milvedo--33rd Street, is now actually 31st Street.  Similar things happened farther east, though in the other direction--46th is now 50th, 51st is now 57th, and 57th is now 65th. 

Also, for ease of addresses, the city decided to go from a simple East/West division (at 0th Street) to a quadrant setup--NE/NW/SE/SW.  The North/South division now occurs at Los Endos Blvd--except on the east edge, where it curves away from the "baseline" and goes into the "southeast" quadrant.

So, a further map, which will show the results of some of the developments in this update.  Things will be changing quite drastically soon, particularly on the east end. 

[URL=http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=losendos09252008jq3.png][IMG]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9792/losendos09252008jq3.th.png[/img][/URL][URL=http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php][IMG]http://img265.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/img][/URL]

Los Endos Boulevard Widening, D Street to Hammerhead Lake Bridge

This project will widen Los Endos Boulevard between West D Street and the bridge over Hammerhead Lake (just east of East 31st Street).  Los Endos Boulevard is currently a primary surface arterial which has 3 travel lanes from D Street to University Way, and 2 travel lanes east of University.  When completed, it will feature 4-5 travel lanes along its length.

This is the existing intersection at 18th Street (Highway 33) and Los Endos (facing west)

11th (old Hwy 33) and Los Endos (looking west)

31st and Los Endos, at the Los Endos Country Club (looking south)

Paving near the university

18th and Los Endos after construction

11th and Los Endos after construction

31st and Los Endos after construction

The 0th and Los Endos intersection presents one particularly interesting challenge . . .

0th and Los Endos (looking west)

At the northwest corner of the intersection sits the iconic Longaberger Building (1 W Los Endos Blvd--upper right corner of the previous pic).  With a straightforward alignment, the Longaberger Building would be directly in the path of the widened Los Endos Blvd.  Accounting for this, TDOT designed an alternative.  Between 6th Street and D Street, Los Endos Boulevard will instead form a One-Way Couplet with SE Paramount Street, which will be extended and upgraded.  Each half of the couplet will be 2 lanes initially, but with the option to upgrade them to 3 lanes at a later date.  This will allow for roughly the same level of traffic capacity, while keeping the local landmark in tact.

Here's the east end of the couplet before construction begins (facing west)

This is the west end of the project, at D Street--the site of Los Endos' first skyscraper (350 W Los Endos Blvd).  Or I should say, the first of many . . .

A few local homes and the Chuck E. Cheese at 6th and Los Endos had to be taken out to make way for the Paramount Street connection.  Paramount has been partially upgraded east of 5th Street.

5th Street was extended through to Paramount, though the alignment is not perfectly straight.  Turn restrictions on the north part of 5th will prevent motorists from doing a "swerve" in the middle of Paramount to get to the southern segment.

The east end of the "split" with landscaping complete (looking east)

Back with more next time . . . probably a little construction, and maybe a closer look at that country club . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

Simpson

Hi Alex
Nice to see an update of you my friend
Your city is looking super, great work  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

art128

Alex, greatgreatgreat work on this new update  &apls really nice :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

debutterfly

Great work Alex...I love how you tease us all with all of your toys (NWM, RHW, and other goodies). I can't wait to get my hands on some of them. Also wondering how many hours do you spend a week developing your MD?

metarvo

Quote from: Tarkus on September 25, 2008, 02:02:27 AM
A few local homes and the Chuck E. Cheese at 6th and Los Endos had to be taken out to make way for the Paramount Street connection.  Paramount has been partially upgraded east of 5th Street.

I'm sure some kids are crying their little eyes out over this one... $%Grinno$%.

Another spectacular update, Alex.  The TLA-5 continues to illustrate a shining example of realism, but this can be expected of every element of the NWM.  The OWR-couplet is also a very realistic choice.  I know, since I've seen it used several times in my area.  Keep it up, Alex!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Sheep49

Sorry for not commenting lately. Was kinda busy ;)

Great update, my friend. I really like it! If only they were building so much great roads in my hometown... ;)

Keep up the good work!
Piotr :P
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

bat

Another beautiful update there with excellent pictures! Great work! :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Hey Alex,
-Another wonderful update!  Interesting use of the NWM components to enhance your city's road networks! 
-There was something about the road intersections in the pics that I saw though.  Just before a road intersection, you converted a standard road to a NWM-3 (right?) just before the intersection with another road.  I am aware that the project is still in development, but do you have to do this in order to make an intersection with the NWM or could you simply drag a road up to the intersection without converting it? 

Anyways great update and I look forward to more!

Best,
-Haljackey

wes.janson

I love those longer road turning lanes. A vast improvement over the existing ones. Amazing how such a small detail can do so much.

&apls

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

deathtopumpkins

Ahhh... I love those intersections with the TLA-3! The turn lanes look great!

One intereseting thing I noticed though:

The turn lanes are only on one of the roads! How'd you manage that?

The rest of the widening looks great, especially the OWRs.
Although, at the intersection with Paramount, wouldn't it just be simpler to use an S-curve, so through traffic could still use it?
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

JoeST

DTP: that is part of the reworked Right Turn Lane plugin. It is being done by Jason (JPlumbley)

and Tarkus: its looking fantastic as ever :) cant wait for more.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

warconstruct

All is sublime, the roads and the concept of work is brilliant !
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

thundercrack83

Fantastic stuff here, Alex, as always!

Like I've said before, I love the way you use the SAM streets to symbolize construction sites, very clever!

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Dustin

EDGE4194

&apls as usual alex, a fantastic update! Your map is getting more and more detailed, but still no parks! I have a traffic suggestion- I think you need to close the section of 5th st between Paramount and Ilmore. it would improve traffic flow, and the traffic from the south (?) can enter Paramount/Los Endos via either 4th or 8th.  :)

bakerton

Alex, I just love this MD as I enjoy projects that you show. They just make me want to do some of my own projects and see where it will take me. One word to describe everything is: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back with another construction project . . . an oldie, too, that many longtime TC followers will recognize.

First, though, replies:

David (Simpson):  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the latest installment, and hope this one is to your liking, too!

Arthur (art128):  Thank you for the kind words!

debutterfly:  Thanks--and I most certainly enjoy teasing with those toys, too.  :D  As far as how much time I spend developing my MD, each update generally takes me about 3 hours to put together.  

metarvo:  Yes, the kids in Los Endos weren't too happy, but word is that Chuck E. Cheese is already building at least a couple new locations in the area.  (That building grows like a weed in my regions, actually.  :D)  We've got those OWR Couplets all over the place here, too--very common setup in most small and mid-sized towns in Oregon, including here in Eugene.  Glad you enjoyed the update, and thanks for the compliments!

Piotr (sheep49):  Hey, no worries. :)  Glad you enjoyed this latest update, and I know all too well about wanting more and better roads.  (They've been doing a lot of construction around here lately, though I'm not sure how much of it is really "better".)  

bat:  Thanks for the kind words!

Haljackey:  I'm glad you liked the update--thanks!--and that's an interesting question.  If you're referring to the situation with the TLA-3 and the OWRs, the TLA-3/OWR intersections aren't done yet, so I had to do the little conversion there to prevent something really weird-looking from showing up.  It still has its quirks, but knowing just what they are, I can usually avoid them and use it for my own purposes.  I do need to get that one finished, though . . . maybe once RHW Version 21 is a little closer. ;)

wes.janson:  Thanks, I'm happy to hear you like the new TLA-3 turn lane setup--it's nice having them at a little bit more realistic width/length.

Pat:  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, and I'm sure TDOT will be pleased to hear your feedback.  They're always trying to go the extra mile . . . (pun partially intended. ::)) :D

deathtopumpkins:  Thanks for the kind words on the TLA-3 turn lane stuff!  And as Joe mentioned, those turn lanes are indeed the result of jplumbley's new Road Turning Lane Plugin, which I have to use in order to utilize both the NWM and Road Turning Lanes.

That's an interesting suggestion with the 5th/Paramount intersection, too.  TDOT may have to rethink that one.

Joe (JoeST):  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, and hope this one satisfies your Tarkusian Cities fix. ;)

warconstruct:  Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad the construction was to your liking, and there will (as always) be plenty more in this update.

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks, my friend--you are too kind.  I'm glad you enjoyed the SAM usage there--it actually makes building the construction sites a bit easier, too, having a draggable tool.  There's a few instances where I still have to go back to a Lot-based solution (i.e. near intersections, to prevent regular commuter access to the "under construction" stuff), but it really comes in handy.

Eric (EDGE4194):  Thanks, I'm flattered!  I do still need to add the parks onto the map, along with schools and a few other little landmarks, too--thanks for reminding me. :)  That's also an interesting suggestion with the 5th Street alignment.  I'm definitely going to have to revisit that one and the Essex/15th intersection--perhaps as part of a "viewers' choice" construction update . . .

Jon (bakerton):  Thank you so much for the kind words!  If I've given anyone even the slightest inspiration, it really means a lot to me.   :thumbsup:

___________________________________________________________________________________

Here is Wakeman as we last left it, a few months ago, after the 22nd Avenue Extension project in May, as part of Update 28.

And as the title confirms, we'll be going back and looking at the infamous "Mystery Highway" project (last seen Update 6), which had been proposed as a rather expensive freeway alignment of Highway 24 on the north side of town, involving about 5-6 miles of bridges over the Cascadia River.

TDOT and the City of Wakeman have had a little bit of a change of plans, though.

North Wakeman Corridor Project

The North Wakeman Corridor Project, a joint project between TDOT and the City of Wakeman, has been aimed at examining the possibilities for a new expressway or freeway link on the north side of Wakeman, near the Cascadia State University campus.  The initial alignment option that had been planned included building a freeway on the north banks of the Cascadia River, which would the river upon reaching Wakeman City Limits near the Wakeman Boulevard (Highway 24)/Topographic Drive (Highway 89) intersection (not pictured on maps, but approximately 1 mile west).  This crossing would include approximately five miles of bridges, traversing between Highway 89 in the west and Highway 28 to the east, near Belew Mountain.  Because of its massive scope and the fact that the alignment would be elevated for much of its length, residents had jokingly nicknamed it the "Interstellar Overdrive".  This plan is detailed in the map below:

However, further study on the Wakeman area and its traffic patterns, as well as a cost analysis, have resulted in alternative option, Alternative A.  Instead of a freeway realignment of Highway 24 with a series of costly bridges (estimated at $16 billion), Alternative A involves the construction of only 1.5 miles of bridges as part of an expressway, which will serve as a new alignment for Highway 89.  This expressway will connect on the south end to South 11th Avenue near the CSU campus, and on the north end to the existing Topographic Drive alignment.

TDOT and the City of Wakeman do, however, believe that an east-west freeway is still needed to accommodate future growth, and allow for a unified system throughout the region.  To this effect, work is beginning on a South Wakeman Corridor project (which will be featured in the next update)

The initial start of the 11th Avenue connection (looking north)

The east end of the new bridge (looking north)

Existing Topographic Drive, going under the rail bridge (facing west)

The tunnel was demolished, as it will not be needed after the completion of the project. (facing west)

The first part of the bridge constructed (facing north).

The middle landfall on Floyd Island, between the two spans (facing north)

The bridges are now open to traffic.  Where the tunnel used to be, the new Highway 89 expressway jogs over (facing west)

The 11th Avenue connection (facing north)

The original Topographic Drive alignment of Highway 89 where it now connects in to the new alignment. (facing west)  TDOT has decided to keep this section of road within the highway system, as Highway 189.

An overview of Wakeman with the new Interstallar Overdrive/Highway 89 alignment complete.  Upon completion, the bridge, appropriately enough, was named the Richard Wright Memorial Bridge.

Here's a map of the finished product.

Back with more next time . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

papab2000

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie