• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 16, 2016, 08:41:42 AM
As far as FARR (pun intended) I have thought of it but they would have to be custom path and for now I'm not eagerly pursuing that idea.

Actually, that's not strictly true, the paths already exist, you'd just need to reference them on a lot. Not sure if these sidings even use paths beyond the entrance of the lot. Given that no RRW switches for FAR exist (currently), I'm assuming you'd have to start from a straight/diagonal for the lot itself? That's a moot point, I think Eggman is progressing well on this front. Either way, the TEing is not so difficult, and this would truly be a first to my knowledge. No pressure though, you've got enough going on here to keep us happy  :thumbsup:.

Simmer2

Quote from: mgb204 on January 16, 2016, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: Simmer2 on January 16, 2016, 08:41:42 AM
As far as FARR (pun intended) I have thought of it but they would have to be custom path and for now I'm not eagerly pursuing that idea.

Actually, that's not strictly true, the paths already exist, you'd just need to reference them on a lot. Not sure if these sidings even use paths beyond the entrance of the lot. Given that no RRW switches for FAR exist (currently), I'm assuming you'd have to start from a straight/diagonal for the lot itself? That's a moot point, I think Eggman is progressing well on this front. Either way, the TEing is not so difficult, and this would truly be a first to my knowledge. No pressure though, you've got enough going on here to keep us happy  :thumbsup:.

Stephen is doing an amazing job on draggable FARR.
I would just make the FARR switches and FARR tiles for LE purpose.
The switches would be on the lot and I'm assuming if one wants to take this further, custom paths could be created to raise the level of realism 1 step above mere static.
Alas, like you said, I have enough on my plate at the moment but I do have 2 more types of sidings I'm also currently developing.

Simmer2/Nick

________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

True DTR Sidings are out! 10X various sizes and decked out for your pleasure, enjoy  :thumbsup:
Get them here http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3332

just one example
________________________________________________________________________________

Themistokles

That's wonderful by every definition I'm aware of! &apls They are much appreciated!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Gugu3

Alan_Waters

It looks awesome!  &apls
Question: Is it just for the RRW?

mgb204

You'd have to re-lot them to fit with non-RRW textures. Bear in mind, the textures are custom made for the lots too. So you may not end up with the same looks and some props might need moving also. It's not easy as a creator to provide a one-size fits all solution here.

compdude787

Just use the RRW. It looks so much better and so much more realistic than Maxis rail.

Watch the language, please! - CasperVg, 2016-01-19
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Alan_Waters

Sorry, but the rusty rails and rusty sleepers RRW I do not seem to be realistic. Textures by SFBT I prefer.

compdude787

Quote from: Alan_Waters on January 19, 2016, 10:14:20 AM
Sorry, but the rusty rails and rusty sleepers RRW I do not seem to be realistic. Textures by SFBT I prefer.

Go look at a railroad track on Google Earth. Even a well-traveled one will still have gravel around it that looks brown. And the shininess of the rails doesn't really show up from the air either.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Alan_Waters

Not far from my house is a railroad. Gravel brown, although more common gray. The rails are black with shiny polished surface and concrete sleepers, gray.

mgb204

I know this argument comes up again and again. It doesn't matter what rails are supposed to look like. I can tell you how I think something should look, but others may have a different view. What this means is that the RRW texture style isn't for everybody. It we pigeon hole the idea that only the default textures are right, we form a split between those that like the style and those that don't.

RRW is the future, get on board or be left behind.

But RRW is not the textures, RRW is a fundamental rethink of how rail should work in SC4, the textures are not set in stone. There is nothing to stop alternate texture sets from being produced/released. Remember the alternatives to the Maxis rails were not available right off the bat either. RRW is still pretty new, and once there is more choice of styles, I think that a lot more people will make use of it.

Swordmaster

In either case this is not a discussion for this thread. If you want to discuss the RRW look, please do so in the RRW thread. Nick is merely following the standards set by RRW.

Good work Nick :thumbsup:  I'll try and have a look at them in game shortly (I don't have all the dependencies right now, plugins folder is still a WIP).

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

Thank you all for the kind words :)

@Alan  Sorry to disappoint you but as Swordmaster pointed out, I'm indeed following the RRW standard.
The future is RRW, period.

I would much rather work with RRW than Maxis standard.
RRW has a more realistic feel to it, the curves, smooth angles and more scale accurate rail gauges makes it a pleasure to work with.

I'm in the middle of designing several new rail configurations and will not consider switching to Maxis.

Simmer2/Nick

Vizoria

I think if the RRW could be retextured, or if there were texture options available this would not be a problem.

belfastsocrates

Quote from: Vizoria on January 19, 2016, 03:44:43 PM
I think if the RRW could be retextured, or if there were texture options available this would not be a problem.

Which I think is the plan for the future, just not sure when exactly. I know some people have been working on this and early results are promising :)

Personally I'm waiting for new textures but this isn't really the thread for that kind of discussion.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Vizoria

Quote from: belfastsocrates on January 20, 2016, 02:05:27 AM
Quote from: Vizoria on January 19, 2016, 03:44:43 PM

Which I think is the plan for the future, just not sure when exactly. I know some people have been working on this and early results are promising :)

Personally I'm waiting for new textures but this isn't really the thread for that kind of discussion.

I've seen pictures of the RRW retexturing, they do indeed look promising.

Anyway, thanks a lot Simmer2 for your amazing lotting work!

Simmer2

Thank you Vizoria!

Just finished making the custom RRW textures for my next upload  ;D

QuadC

c.p.

The textures and the siding lots look excellent :thumbsup:

Gugu3

That picture is incredibly cool!