• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JB School Packs - Because school shouldn't be boring!

Started by JBSimio, October 27, 2008, 12:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBSimio

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

JBSimio

I was thinking that since I have this entire section to play with now, I ought to try and clean some things up around here a little bit.  (OK... in reality, I've had this board for a while, but just haven't gotten around to doing much with it yet.  But what can you do?)  The other BAT thread is getting awfully long and full of stuff, so maybe a little organization is in order.  Let's start with a new thread dedicated to the school packs, shall we?

Just to kind of keep things together... a quick recap of what we have right now is in that first post up there.  I'll add any other releases up there as that time comes.  But for now... let's skip ahead a little bit to what I have in the works at this time. 

School Pack - Volume Four will include five (I think) new elementary schools.  I have two models completely finished so far and one more that is very close to being done.

Helen Krump Elementary

Westwood Elementary

Eisenhower Elementary

And just in case this "catch up" post isn't quite long enough yet, here is the latest update on Reed High School, which will be a (ridiculously) large start to School Pack - Volume Five.

I think that's enough for one night... I've stayed up entirely too long anyway!  Have a great night (or morning for half of you already!)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

tooheys

JB, all this time I have been using Vol 1 & 2, didn't even realise Vol 3 existed. You're schools are my favourites and figure prominently in my MD. Vol 3, I have a few more to play with now  :)

And the proposed Vol 4, looking good. What I really like about your schools is that they not just the same lot made a bit bigger or altered a little, they are all unique, makes a city look more realistic. And can't wait for Vol 5, that modern looking HS is going to look great in Balnavia.

Great work  :thumbsup:

Dave

Geronimo

Wow JB, great work! Looks like school pack 4 gonna be a great addition to the game, those models looks fantastic!And that high school, omg!    :thumbsup:

XiahouDun

I'm giddy, can't wait to get to play with #4 :D If feel like such a fanboy having everything you've uploaded :-[
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Andreas

Would it be possible to make the last one a "Reed Elementary School" for School Pack 4? :) My elementary schools are always overcrowded due to the rather low capacity in my highrise districts, while the high schools in my suburbs are pretty much empty due to the size.
Andreas

EDGE4194

&apls  i didn't realize there was a volume 4 (and 5!) coming out. I love your schools, and the new models look fantastic.

sim-al2

Great new schools! I know of a great school for suburbs... that I go to! Maybe you could BAT if you have nothing better to do. (like that's ever going to happen)

ps. School is boring... until you have lots of projects to do!
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

girlfromverona

I'm so excited about your new School Pack! I hardly ever use the Maxis schools anymore - yours are far superior.  ;D

nerdly_dood

Not bad! Personally I'd change the Helen Krump elementary to a high school, but otherwise it's awesome!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

art128

These school look awesome my friend  :thumbsup:
It's very splendid  &apls
absoluty great work my friend :thumbsup:
looking forward to the development !
Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

scottott999

Once again Fantastic work.   I love the new high school.  Did you ever think of making some sort of true modular school system that you could add buildings/lots as your city grows? 

JBSimio

Dave:  Thank you!  Volume Three has been out for quite a while, but I'm glad this helped you find it!  (Better late than never, after all)  The variety of buildings is definitely the major reason I keep making these.  I thought three packs offered plenty of different choices until I started my own MD and quickly realized that there just weren't enough yet.   :D

Geronimo:  Thanks!

XiahouDun:  Thank you!  I love having fans... air conditioning is over rated anyway!  ;)

Andreas:  The short answer would be "no."  Reed is definitely going to be a high school.  The next elementary will be similar in style and larger than the others, though.  Although, reading between the lines leads me to think you'd prefer the larger elementary to be more urban in style?  Or am I just reading that wrong?

Edge:  Thanks!  I started thinking about adding a couple more packs over the summer.  I'm just now starting to find some real time to do something about it.
Sim-al2:  Thanks!  I'm always looking for inspiration pictures, so feel free to PM me if you have some.

Girlfromverona:  Thank you!

Nerdly_dood:  Thanks!  Helen Krump is meant to be an older urban school.  In reality, it would probably be more of a middle school... but that's not really an option in the game.  So elementary it is.  ;)

Arthur:  Thank you!

Scottott:  Thanks!  I'm not quite sure what you have in mind... could you explain a little more?

A little bit of an update for tonight.  I spent most of my time finishing up the east additions today.  I got most of the major trim work done, and a fair chunk of roof junk and detailing done.  I'll come back later for a little more "standard" details (those little odds and ends that aren't really unique to the building)... but I think this side is just about wrapped up.

Most of this isn't textured yet... and even the few parts that are may very well change later.  I'm still not sure about a couple things, but we'll see what happens.  I'm hoping to get a start on the west additions next time.

JB

Howling

Excellent work JB! Your schoolpacks really do add to the diversity of the game. If you're considering doing a fifth; what I believe is also missing are downtown schools. Wall-to-wall schools in high density urban areas, something that would fit excellently next to for example Jasoncw's W2W bats.

For example:

I hope the images work :)
What do you think?
Lurkiest Lurking Lurker of the SimCity 4 community.
Bldng. | my BATs and research into urban density | Sebasvandenbrink.nl | Help grow Hopburg!

Andreas

Quote from: JBSimio on October 28, 2008, 11:22:24 PM
Andreas:  The short answer would be "no."  Reed is definitely going to be a high school.  The next elementary will be similar in style and larger than the others, though.  Although, reading between the lines leads me to think you'd prefer the larger elementary to be more urban in style?  Or am I just reading that wrong?

The style doesn't really matter as long the capacity of the elementary school is high enough. What I need is something that doesn't get overcrowded in no time when I place it in an area like this. ;)

Andreas

allan_kuan1992

oh wow...

that really really large high school is coming along well...

except i wonder... it was a small school which was updated right? i wonder if you can make one new-construction one... =O

And also... hmm... I've rarely schools that are so high and designed for downtown areas... sadly Vancouver isn't big enough actually to even create such demand...

- Allan Kuan

Zaphod

Perhaps an urban school might be a w2w building with a rooftop playground or bball court, depending on the students ages.

I have never seen a school like that but I figure they must exist in Manhattan, Tokyo, Paris, for sure?
War Kittens !?

Howling

Quote from: Zaphod on October 29, 2008, 02:55:53 PM
Perhaps an urban school might be a w2w building with a rooftop playground or bball court, depending on the students ages.

I have never seen a school like that but I figure they must exist in Manhattan, Tokyo, Paris, for sure?

There are lots of urban schools, including here in Amsterdam where I reside now. They tend to have courtyards at the back. As with normal city blocks with lowrise buildings around the edges you'd see gardens in the middle. I've scoured MS's Live Earth for some examples from New York, these were all from Harlem alone - there are far more. Note how the building's streetside and the playground/square area is at the back - though I noticed they border on the street on the other side of the block. There's also a public school without a playground really - one that looks a lot like the one from that Die Hard movie.

^ Not so sure this last one is actually at a school :D
Lurkiest Lurking Lurker of the SimCity 4 community.
Bldng. | my BATs and research into urban density | Sebasvandenbrink.nl | Help grow Hopburg!

nerdly_dood

[rambling]Well, there is an older semi-urban school not two blocks away from my house that used to look like what Helen Krump probably looked like before the gym and cafeteria were added... (Built in 1922) If it had been renovated sooner, the building style of the time would have made it look more like your Krump school, but since its latest renovation was in the 90s, their similarities are now limited... [/ramblimg]

Aaaannywaaayyy... Nice to see some more urban educational facilities in the works! :thumbsup:
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jmdude1

the new schools are looking very nice, as all your work is. looking forward to downloading these in the future.