• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metasmurf

Ennedi

@metasmurf,

Simple but perfect &apls &apls &apls, in every aspect
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Haljackey

Thats neat!  Its like a semi-cloverleaf!

figui

nice one metasmurf!
the light towers are a great touch on that interchange and make the night shot very realistic &apls

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

sebes

Meta, that is an awesome interchange - great by simplicity, and yet very good for avoiding traffic jams!!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

bat

Nice intersection there, metasmurf! Also great picture of it at day and night! :thumbsup:

CasperVg

I personally love designing (concept) interchanges by hand, but by limitations of the current transportations options, most of the time I never really create them in SimCity 4.
Here's something I drew up, that I really like. I'm not sure if it exists in real life.

In fact, it utilizes a sunken highway, and a roundabout "hovering" above it, the roundabout connects to the avenue on both sides (or on one side, as an T-intersection...) and gives access to the on- and off-ramps. The only real problem with this design at the moment is that both traffic directions on the onoff-ramps have to cross eachother, but it could be done with seperate ramps and an over/underpass.
I know that some of the things are not really realistic (like the avenue becoming smaller near the roundabout, but it's a concept  ;) )

I recon that it's not really a SC4-interchange, but I didn't really find another place to post this. If I some good reponse on this conceptual interchange, I'll scan and show some more I drew out and will draw out!  ;D
I apoligize about the picture being slightly larger then 800x600.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

rooker1

caspervg, I like the interchange and would love to see some more of your work.

Robin   :thumbsup:

Call me Robin, please.

CasperVg

Thanks Robin  ;)
---
Here's another thing that I just drew. I think this one exists in a few places in real life, espessialy on places with feeder lanes maybe.

This design exists of two roundsabouts (connected to eachother with a bridge over the hw.), that connect a avenue (or road, maybe) to a highway, this highway can be elevated, embanked (both would require underpasses or tunnels instead of bridges) or ground or sunken. It gives acces to on and offramps in both travel directions, and is simple to follow. However, drivers that just need to drive over the highway, will need to pass both roundabouts, which results in time lose.

Again, the interchanges I draw are purely conceptual, and afcourse do not face any problem an engineer would face in real life (eg. in the drawing every road is perfectly straight, and all conditions are excellent). When I finished my examinations, I will rush to reinstall SC4 and try to recreate the drawings I made in SC4. I could make an MD that would consist of all sorts of traffic and public traffic options, including these interchanges and many more of them.

Greetings,

Casper Vg.

niaba

That junction is very prevalent in England. I think it's called a dumbbell interchange, or a peanut or double tear-drop depending on it's exact configuration.

rooker1

caspervg, now that is a nice intersection, great work.  Keep them coming.

Robin  :thumbsup:

Call me Robin, please.

debutterfly

With the MIS many more interchanges will be possible. On the RHW thread, Tarkus (Alex) posted the MIS transitioning with a roundabout so it is very possible to do. We just all have to be patient with the NAM team. I'll find the link to the post of this interchange in action. Here's the Linkie

CasperVg

Thanks all, here's another one I just scanned.

It's kinda like an Volleyball-interchange, but then with roundabouts. Yes, i like roundabouts for interchanges...  ()stsfd()

Toichus Maximus

I've been through one of those, and the roundabouts were HELLISH! As far as traffic goes, IRL, roundabouts should just about never be built. They're nice asthetically, but impractical for traffic flow.

squidi

Quote from: Toichus Maximus on December 11, 2007, 10:30:58 AM
I've been through one of those, and the roundabouts were HELLISH! As far as traffic goes, IRL, roundabouts should just about never be built. They're nice asthetically, but impractical for traffic flow.

imho roundabouts are perfect for traffic flow but they need to much space for downtowns

Andreas

Roundabouts will greatly easy traffic jams if the intersection gets about the same amount of traffic (in a continuous flow) from all sides, and if there aren't many pedestrians. Also, they don't work that great if the roads have more than one or two lanes at most. Ideally, they should have a separate right turning lane if there is more traffic, so only vehicles that want to turn left or go straight across the intersection have to use the roundabout. The more traffic, the more backup it will create for the cars that are about to enter the roundabout, and this might affect other intersections in the vicinity.

But if the traffic comes and goes from all directions in a similar amount, they will greatly reduce the congestion, since the cars only have to wait a very short time before entering the roundabout. Of course, this only works if the drivers are used to roundabouts, and if the traffic laws are clear, meaning to use the turn signals if you want to exit a roundabout, so the one waiting at the next roundabout entrance can enter the roundabout while the exiting car is still on the roundabout.
Andreas

Palpatine001

I can second Andreas thoughts there, although I have seen CRAZY and  :angrymore: stuff at roundabouts, what gets me is people who can not indicate for peanuts...

Anycase check this 5 way out

Had made for some interesting watching durring rush hour

Then again so has this

I advise you to update your medical insurance before trying these at peak hour  $%Grinno$%
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

millenium

Here is my intersection in my City Millenium. Its the intersection of 51st Street and Raeburg Avenue, the busiest in the region, this photo was taken at about 3:00 AM and i had it set to Daytime All the Time.

bat

Nice intersection(s), to both!
Great work.

Ryan B.

Here's one from me:  it might be kinda plain & dull, but it's what I do best:

Enjoy!  Look for more from me soon!