• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highrise99

I atempted to make a four level stack.  However, four levels are impossible, so I ended up with something more like a turbine interchange:

And I guess I did okay in the center :), but when I tried to make the tunnels, it wouldn't work. :(
Yes, those are right turn slip lanes, as I have LHD.

riiga

I thought I'd make a European version...  ;)

- riiga

TJ1

Quote from: Haljackey on July 20, 2010, 10:30:39 AM
Exactly. Believe it or not, the High Five in Dallas is a tourist site. The artwork on the support coulombs and whatnot make it look like more than just a slab of concrete and asphalt. In SC4, adding some eyecandy can really help bring out the "beauty" of our junctions. The RHW cosmetic pieces can help out too.

Funny that you mentioned the "High Five"

I had to run away from hurricane Ike in Beaumont just to get there :D.
These are some awsome interchanges.
The first video has the high five at 4:35.

http://www.youtube.com/v/F647rqsxpvM&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/v/avQUtrgB5JU&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/v/MxCt_NwUR5k&fmt=18

A guy on youtube called  Screwd UPclickV2 made these.

travismking

http://www.youtube.com/v/IHULX5WRN0s&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0

a video i found of the springfield interchange south of DC, where I395, I495 and I95 meet, used to be a traffic nightmare, but now its been relieved a lot, was recently rebuilt.  this video doesnt show the interchange very well, but i couldnt find a video that does.  note the stupid, just like myself drivers, I think we have the most aggressive drivers in the country or something here ;) Its really a large interchange, 3 major highways and a couple arterial roads come together in this spot, and 2 (well one but they are signed as two different roads 395 and 95) have HOV lanes down the middle that also have ramps to every road (in both directions, they are reversible to relieve traffic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHULX5WRN0s

sorry, offtopic but the high-five vid reminded me of this interchange ;p

Hadrean2

cool videos!

Anyways, here is something I made that I think looks pretty cool. I had to go under a runway, so this was my only solution. The winding ramp is pretty dangerous, but I like making those MIS curves  ;D
sorry I left the grid on again

Rionescu

Prepare to be amazed, astounded and astonished! I have created the Perfect Parclo interchange, or as perfect as is possible using what we have thus far. All the on-ramps onto the have acceleration ramps of at least 120 m or 400 feet, and the 2 intersections need only 2 phases to let the avenue travellers continue on, and to let the highway exiters turn left onto the avenue; everyone else has a direct route to/from the highway. Without further ado, stare in awe at the perfectness:

If anyone can think of anything that could make it more perfect, feel free to let me know or better yet, create your own Perfect Parclo. Oh and if you're wondering, this is fully functional.

If anyone cares, I got these 3 cool pics using the listed effect in Paint.NET:
Pencil Sketch - Shows the paths the cars follow
Outline - Shows the lane markings
Emboss - Looks like the interchange plan has been engraved into stone. Come to think of it, these all look like part of the interchange planning process, with this being the not-so-proverbial "setting in stone".

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Rionescu on July 23, 2010, 10:29:40 PM
Prepare to be amazed, astounded and astonished! I have created the Perfect Parclo interchange, or as perfect as is possible using what we have thus far. All the on-ramps onto the have acceleration ramps of at least 120 m or 400 feet, and the 2 intersections need only 2 phases to let the avenue travellers continue on, and to let the highway exiters turn left onto the avenue; everyone else has a direct route to/from the highway. Without further ado, stare in awe at the perfectness:

Impressive, I'd have to say. Just the other day, I myself was messing with parclos but never thought of using the RHW-4 to two MIS ramp piece; I just used TuLEPs. It's still missing something, though...

The RHW-4's curve; It could be a lot smoother... In fact, ALL the curves could be smoother. Let me compile something, as a further improvement of your design.

Once again, great job.  :thumbsup:
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

io_bg

Rionescu, that looks pretty good. However, I'll have to agree that it needs some smoother curves ;) And for the ramps, I would use either RHW 4 or MIS, not a combination of both.
Here's one from me: Tuleps' slip lanes meet RHW ;D

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Rionescu

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 24, 2010, 12:50:25 AM
Impressive, I'd have to say. Just the other day, I myself was messing with parclos but never thought of using the RHW-4 to two MIS ramp piece; I just used TuLEPs. It's still missing something, though...

The RHW-4's curve; It could be a lot smoother... In fact, ALL the curves could be smoother. Let me compile something, as a further improvement of your design.

Once again, great job.  :thumbsup:
Yeah, I did at one point use the curve for the RHW-4, but it didn't have the whole partial cloverleaf look anymore. The MIS curves would've made the whole thing a whole lot bigger which is why I didn't use those. I guess I should've pointed out that I was going first for functionality and then using curves and cosmetic pieces where I could. TBH, I very rarely use the MIS curves just because of how big they force you to go.

Regardless, I'm glad you like it and I look forward to see what you come up with.

Quote from: io_bg on July 24, 2010, 03:53:06 AM
Rionescu, that looks pretty good. However, I'll have to agree that it needs some smoother curves ;) And for the ramps, I would use either RHW 4 or MIS, not a combination of both.
Actually I chose to use that combination of ramps to simulate as closely as possible the Parclos that I see daily. This interchange doesn't have the right turn lane splitting off like mine and some others do, but it essentially has the exact same off-ramp setup that I have with 6 lanes splitting to 2 lanes for through traffic and 2 lanes for exitting traffic. This interchange has 3 lanes at the intersection, but I don't have room to have a D-exit and an RHW-4 to RHW-6 transition.

Your interchange is quite nice, and makes good use of those FAR ramps. It really makes you wish there was a better transition between RHW and OWR though. I'll be honest, despite my using the TuLEP pieces the way I do in my parclos, I never would've thought to use them there  :-[

Hadrean2

io_bg, that is incredible! I like how you got the ramps to be really smooth, I can't ever get them that smooth.

Rionescu, there's a smaller 90 degree MIS curve that might look good.

cubby420

Hey Highrise, just a heads up...your pics really should be in jpeg format as opposed to png. I'd love to see your pics, but the load time is certainly not helping.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Rionescu on July 24, 2010, 03:59:01 PM
Regardless, I'm glad you like it and I look forward to see what you come up with.

And here I am, with a further improvement of Rionescu's A-4 Partial Cloverleaf design... I call it an "Anagramic" variation. (Using my own name to describe something...)

W/O eyecandy

With eyecandy

BOOM!!! NIGHTSHOT!!!

I'm gonna have to show you what I eliminated and added to the first design later on, but until I get that in, here's the same shot with eyecandy. And a nightshot.

Here's what I added onto Rionescu's design, other than eyecandy and lights:

- Smooth curves for,... Well, everything.
- FLUPs as opposed to the Ave puzzle pieces
- Better layout for deceleration lanes; The RHW-6 converts into RHW-8, and from there, you can see where it splits off from the main highway.
- FARHW for one of the exit ramps
- Reduced number of acceleration lanes; I just combined the MIS lanes going onto the highway into an RHW-4 and have THAT merge with the RHW 4 into an RHW-8, before reducing lanes back into an RHW-6.

Some close-ups to further explain what I'm talking about:

The accel/decel lanes. I find it better to just combine all the MIS into an RHW-4 and have that merge with the highway.

And,... Well, everything else. The FARHW,... The curves,... The FLUPs,... The RHW ramp piece where the RHW-4 splits into a diagonal MIS and an orthogonal MIS,...

Despite this, it's STILL NOT perfect... Though I might've set the bar for A-4 parclo design, it probably won't be 'til RHW version 5.0 for this design to be further improved upon... Besides, mrtrlrn (Maarten), (Hope I spelled that right) I believe, has designed some ramps that would go great here... But until then, let's see how this one goes.

... ...
... ... ...

What happens if you put this into a multi-RHW...?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

TEG24601

Orion Interchange - I-154/I-15
City of Everett, member of the
Tegville Metropolitan Region
United Tegian Republic

Note: North is to the left, on all images

The original Interchange, designed to handle Rural traffic, slightly modified to include additional exits for local industry.

The South End of the Interchange

The Western section of the Interchange interfacing I-154 with F-15

Updated to take advantage of RHW 4.0

The new Northern section of the interchange, allowing for better connections between Northbound I-15 and Westbound I-154, with limited connections between Eastbound I-154 and Northbound I-15, due to low traffic volumes.

The Southern section of the interchange, where the divergence originates.

New modification to the I-154/F-15 interchange to eliminate the connection to Eastbound I-153, as there was no way to easily connect to Southbound I-15, and little demand for Northbound I-15.

Rionescu

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 24, 2010, 06:27:41 PM
And here I am, with a further improvement of Rionescu's A-4 Partial Cloverleaf design... I call it an "Anagramic" variation. (Using my own name to describe something...)

W/O eyecandy

Here's what I added onto Rionescu's design, other than eyecandy and lights:

- Smooth curves for,... Well, everything.
- FLUPs as opposed to the Ave puzzle pieces
- Better layout for deceleration lanes; The RHW-6 converts into RHW-8, and from there, you can see where it splits off from the main highway.
- FARHW for one of the exit ramps
- Reduced number of acceleration lanes; I just combined the MIS lanes going onto the highway into an RHW-4 and have THAT merge with the RHW 4 into an RHW-8, before reducing lanes back into an RHW-6.

What happens if you put this into a multi-RHW...?
As much as I hate being wrong, I have to give props where props are due. Your Perfect Parclo is more perfect than mine. &apls

There are a few things I'm not a big fan of though. First of all, I prefer the RHW-6 to dual RHW-4 splitter mainly because of the lane that splits into two. It may be because I see that kinda thing everywhere in my travels, but I like the idea that 2 lanes split off but the highway only loses one lane of capacity. It's also why I have a fairly long list of splitters and ramps I'd like to see in the RHW. RHW-10 to dual RHW-6 anyone?

I'm also not a fan of your acceleration lanes although that's probably more of a matter of preference that the deceleration lanes, BUT given that the Parclo was conceived by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, and I've never seen a Parclo in or out of Ontario with your setup, I think that makes mine better with respect to that. ()stsfd() (Hal will probably prove me wrong on this, but I've never seen it, and I travelled 500 km of Ontario highways a few days ago)

Since I'm not one to end on a negative note, I'll admit that I love that FAMIS bit, and I wish I had though of it. That's what I get for not using or taking note of the FAMIS exits. I don't guarantee that I'll use it though, just because of the space it takes up and because I can't zone near it.

Because I'm not one to be outdone, I'm gonna add in some of the stuff you've done to improve my Perfect Parclo, although opinions may differ because some of it's just preference (see above)....and yes, it will be part of a Multi-RHW just for you :thumbsup:

EDIT: Where did you get those smaller MIS curves and FLUP pieces because I either can't find them or don't have them? It's probably the first though :-[ I only have one size of the 45-degree and 90-degree curves which are considerably bigger, and they also look like crap when they're plopped the way I need to for the loop ramps.

Like I said, I can't find the FLUP pieces. I know they're there since I saw them once before, but because I don't use them, I forgot where they are. Oh BTW, I'm just wondering about the FLUPs, I'm not gonna use them or anything :P

Haljackey

Geesh it's almost as if we have a competition going on here. You both incorporate different elements of (parclo) interchange design that is accurate, and I'm sure if you combine them you will edge closer toward that "perfect parclo".

As for the use of smooth curves and FAR, I don't see why not. In real life, any interchange with loop ramps is large, so feel free to use them. I might have to take a wack at this sometime.

A few things to make the junction more realistic:
-Make a good looking overpass. Just don't plop in the NAM overpasses/underpasses, make yourself a hill on either side and use those on-slope pieces to build your bridge. Make sure your slope and grades to/from the overpass are smooth and gentle.
-Don't use RHW-4 as an off-ramp. I know it's tempting because it's what connects to those splitters, but it looks as if it's part of the highway. Using another network if possible (like MIS or one-way road) would be preferred.
-Be original! Don't just follow textbook design, make your junction more organic and thus more eye-appealing. No two junctions are alike... they can be similar, but not the same.
-And of course adding some props and eyecandy can add too. :P

Some good examples of Parclo A-4 designs:
One (converted cloverleaf)
Two (Tight, little room in unlooped corners)
Three (Onramps merge together before entering the highway)

As for the videos, please don't reupload ScrewdUPclickV2's videos, TJ1. They are a little off topic (non-SC4), but if you want to embed one to your post, use the real thing... those are HD too!

Rionescu

Quote from: Haljackey on July 24, 2010, 09:51:19 PM
Geesh it's almost as if we have a competition going on here.
Yeah...I can get kinda competitive sometimes :-[

A few things to make the junction more realistic:
-Make a good looking overpass. Just don't plop in the NAM overpasses/underpasses, make yourself a hill on either side and use those on-slope pieces to build your bridge. Make sure your slope and grades to/from the overpass are smooth and gentle.
I dislike working with anything but perfectly smooth land for interchanges, but I guess that would make it more realistic

-Don't use RHW-4 as an off-ramp. I know it's tempting because it's what connects to those splitters, but it looks as if it's part of the highway. Using another network if possible (like MIS or one-way road) would be preferred.
I guess I could try that, but I doubt diagonal transitions work between RHW and OWR. I could probably figure something out with filler pieces, but it'll probably just look worse.

-Be original! Don't just follow textbook design, make your junction more organic and thus more eye-appealing. No two junctions are alike... they can be similar, but not the same.
But that's too hard &cry2[/childishness]

-And of course adding some props and eyecandy can add too. :P
Yeah, I figured someone would say that. Right now the only things I have installed are NAM, RHW, NWM and a terrain and a water mod, but I guess for the sake of having a good-looking interchange I'll get some lights and stuff.

Quote from: Rionescu on July 24, 2010, 08:35:57 PM
(Hal will probably prove me wrong on this, but I've never seen it, and I travelled 500 km of Ontario highways a few days ago)
Some good examples of Parclo A-4 designs:
One (converted cloverleaf)
Two (Tight, little room in unlooped corners)
Three (Onramps merge together before entering the highway)
You HAD to prove me wrong, didn't you? ::) At least I have the satisfaction of having called it.

darraghf

I guess I haven't showed off an interchange here in a long while:

Here's one of my latest one, from my City Showcase over on my own site, Simcity Community (http://sccommunity.co.cc/index.php?topic=50).

This is an image of Junction 2 of the M4 Motorway in Conleth. The junction is made up of 2 parts. Junction 2A serves as the Terminus of the M5, and is a completely freeflow. Junction 2B is what remains of the original interchange along the route. It serves the suburbs of the Conlethian City of Glenville.

The signage along the route is in keeping with the style of signs here in Ireland.
I hope you like it.
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Nego

Nice signs, nice interchanges, nice city, darraghf! I'd love to see more of your work posted here. Do you have plans to BAT your signs?

PS. I'd suggest removing one of your posts. You have two of the same one.

darraghf

Thanks for commenting.

In response to your question on BATting signs, no. I don't actually have signs in game. I just like to add them signs to the pictures, when I'm updating the City showcase.
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

jdenm8

Here's something I knocked up in a couple of minutes just to see that I could make a Parclo (I stick to diamonds and Half Cloverleafs generally, other types are too confusing in LHD) and I thought I'd show it.

Please don't complain about props, I don't really like propping but I am doing this intersection. Slowly.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley