• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Seraf's NYBT BATs

Started by seraf, July 21, 2014, 11:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romualdillo

reddonquixote

It's very beautiful and I'm grateful for any time you can find to share your progress with us  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

seraf

JP Schriefer - Thank you :)

mattb325 - Thank you :)

romualdillo - Thank you :)

reddonquixote - Thank you :) I'm always happy to go back to bating, over the years it became a hobby  ;)

I'm working on textures now, with this building it was difficult to find right color because in reality it is clad with white marble and we all know that white doesn't look all that great in SC4. But I think I managed to get the color right finally.

vester

Great work.

One small suggestion: Exaggerate the depth of the details around the windows.

manga rivotra

I imagine a lot of use for this superb jewelry: court, town hall, museum...... ::)
Enormous class and presence and a reproduction that seems perfect.  &apls &apls &apls

JP Schriefer

You managed the colour successfully IMO, it's looking great!

kelis

Fantastic model !!
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

seraf

Thanks guys :)

vester - I did exaggerate the depth a bit but I don't think it made any difference. This building however does looks a bit flat in certain light so I'm not that worried about it, there's a lot going on on the facade anyway so... :D

manga rivotra - Yes, and unlike most of my BATs is quite small so it will fit even in smaller city :)

JP Schriefer - Thanks! :)

kelis - Thank you :)

korver - Thank you :)

Ok, so here's finished day view; I should post renders of night and winter views soon.

romualdillo

seraf

Aaand I think that would be all. Time for modding... :'(

reddonquixote

Its beautiful  :thumbsup:

I can't work out which building it is though...? I don't think I've ever seen (or noticed) a building where it has beaux-arts features on only 2 sides before. I'm very curious to know what it's butting up against now.
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

seraf

reddonquixote - Thanks :) It's the Appellate Courthouse on the corner of Madison and 25th st. Back in 1900 when it was new there were townhouses on both sides of it. Then in 1954 an addition was built on that rectangular space delimited by old court building. It tried echo the original building but one can easily tell that it wasn't part of the original scheme. On the other side there's a residential building, and not very pretty  $%Grinno$%

So I was preparing the Court for release and when it came to LOTing I was like "what I am gonna do with this rectangular space?". So instead of making a parking lot there, I decided to model two townhouses that stood there. One of them was converted for commercial use around 1910 I think - and that's the version I choose. I still have to finish roofs but apart from that the modeling part is finished.

vester

I know that problem with some empty space. Not really part of the building and yet...

Like your solution with the townhouses.  :thumbsup:

bombardiere

I like those two townhouses. Perhaps you could include those two as separate props as a bonus. ;)

romualdillo

Good solution! Those gaps are the reason why I create all my buildings as props, so I can fill them with prop families. Doing it this way, I don't have to adapt everything to the grid, conserving the buildings' proportions.

Simcoug

Great solution!  I second the idea to render it as a separate prop too - I know I'd love to use it somewhere  :thumbsup:

seraf

vester - Yeah, I couldn't decide what to do with it  $%Grinno$%

bombardiere - Thanks :)

romualdillo - Those days all my buildings are porps because that's the only way I can include winter versions  :D

Simcoug - Thanks :)

I will of course render it as separate prop, that way i don't have export the courthouse again ;)

They are finished now, I only have to export them and add them to lot with courthouse:

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

Ehanson

Beautiful work as always! &apls I remember walking by the NY Appellate Court Building working nearby and admiring the architectural gems around Madison Square Park.

Loving those townhomes as well, such a shame they were demolished. Will you be doing a version with the current annex building?

seraf

Simmer2 - Thank you :)

korver - Thank you :)

Ehanson - Thank you :) As for the annex...I don't know yet, I'm not a big fan of it and to be honest I would like to move on to some other buildings ;)

Guys...I'm sorry but I'm afraid I will have to export Courthouse and townhouses as a single model, I tried to place them on the same LOT and this is what happens:

I thought that changing the courthouse LODs to "L" shape would help but it didn't and I don't know what else I could do to make this work :(