• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Shelby County Tennessee USA map request

Started by ddhm, December 12, 2015, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddhm

Hey y'all,
For as long as I have played SC, I've always wanted to make Memphis. I live here (and always have) and would love to make both a real Memphis and a Neo Memphis. I've been away from SC for a long time now and I have a lot to catch up on, so the idea of trying to figure out how to make that map is just a bit more than I can attempt. Heck, just getting it into the game will be challenging enough. If someone would be kind enough to help me out, I'd really be appreciative.
Memphis really consists of all of Shelby County, West Memphis Arkansas and a bit of Northern Mississippi (Olive Branch and Southhaven). It's a big chunk, I know. It really is that way though. It could be all big maps for all I care. I suppose that later I could change a config.bmp if I wanted.

Thankee muchly,
  Dan

ddhm

I think I found it. Thanks folks.
Now, let's see if I can make it work :)

ddhm

Correction:
I did find a map of Memphis. It's very small and only encompasses about 1/2 the city. I did reach out to the original maker but he no longer makes maps.
Could someone help me? I'd be happy to provide anything you'd need to give me exactly what I want.
Thanks so much,
   Dan

mgb204

If your requirements are super specific, then you may have a hard time with this request. As with many tasks for SC4, making maps is a labour of love. Even using DEM data, so much additional work needs to be done tweaking things that quality maps would likely take many hours to create. As such, the only people who are going to do this are those after the same map as you are.

If you've some computer skills and a half-decent understanding of photo editing, you should be able to make something half-decent. There is a great tutorial here, which goes through every step for you.

ddhm

Quote from: mgb204 on September 28, 2016, 02:00:58 PM
If your requirements are super specific, then you may have a hard time with this request. As with many tasks for SC4, making maps is a labour of love. Even using DEM data, so much additional work needs to be done tweaking things that quality maps would likely take many hours to create. As such, the only people who are going to do this are those after the same map as you are.

If you've some computer skills and a half-decent understanding of photo editing, you should be able to make something half-decent. There is a great tutorial here, which goes through every step for you.

Heya MGB,
  Thanks so much for your response. It's been the most helpful thing I've seen pertaining to this endeavor (unless someone linked it before and I missed it). A modern, step by step tutorial is what I really needed. Hopefully I can follow this and make it happen. Half decent is all I can ask for :)

If I strike out this time, I'm gonna put up some $. It would be my last option. Heck, I'd pay someone $50 to do it. It's worth that to me. Honestly, I'd do that today. The amount of time it will take me to wrap my head around and complete that is worth that much $ easily.

About the map: I'd not say that my needs are too specific aside from the space I want it to cover. That's the real thing though, isn't it? The thing that generates all the work, hahaha. What I'm looking at is a 40.96 x 40.96 km map. I'd like the center of the map to be at Park and Highland St. That is really the center of Memphis. I think I have the right data. I just have to get this Microdem thing going on. That's my next step. If I only had a bit more time today, I'd do it now.

Thanks again for the link!