• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Devotion Requests

Started by jeronij, November 05, 2006, 05:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmaster07

Sorry about the short-interval double post guys (can't edit my posts $%Grinno$%) but...
http://i25.tinypic.com/wss7bp.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2lxfc6e.jpg
I could send over the package once it's polished for 1.1.10 (planning to make this an SMF MOD Site release) ;D

Jonathan

Cool!, can you post with it? When I installed it on 1.1.10 it applied the theme but I couldn't post and switching  back to classic.

Jonathan

simmaster07

No, posting does not work at the moment, but will be enabled once I tweak the templates, but the only two functions that are broken are posting and private messaging.

SC4BOY

Quote from: Andreas on August 25, 2009, 02:32:01 PM
Yeah, the search box is "context-sensitive", so to speak -

well I've enjoyed using this here and there, but I did find that it is not contextual if you are in your "profile-recent posts by author" thread.. it searches the whole forum. Too bad.. it would be useful there..

simmaster07

I'm trying to work on that iPhone mod after it corrupted. Epic shame.

Also, on to the request part of this post, maybe an upgrade can be arranged for the forums? We're a full six patches behind leaving massive security gaps. SMF 1.1.11 fixed a ton of them. Instead of bringing the site down for hours or days at a time like the upgrade to 1.1.5, there should be an option to install a small patch in the admin panel, then make the manual file edits as needed.

Jonathan

Not really important but it is kind of annoying, on the lex when you open a description it always loads the description in a new window, but if you already had a description open then it closes that one. If the links to open the description weren't done by javascript then it would be possible to use the mouse wheel to open it in a new tab.

I'm not sure about others but if I'm just browsing an exchange then I open all the descriptions that interest me in new tabs then go through all the tabs and see the details and download the lot.

Jonathan

thingfishs

FWIW I agree, though not a big deal, it is one thing I prefer about the STEX: being able to open new tabs for all that I'm interested in. Although I have my browser setup to open the LEX products in a new tab, if I then click on another item on the original window it replaces this tab. Also I have to re-enter my info to the LEX every single time I use it, even if I used it thirty seconds ago whereas SC4D recognises me and loads up automatically, is there anyway to achieve this with the LEX?

Jonathan

The LEX does remember you, just it won't redirect you past the logon page automatically (annoying but not as annoying as have to click logon twice everytime you access the LEX) Just change http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/Default.htm to http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/fr_main.htm.

If you do need to login then it will show you the monkey. Otherwise it will just show the LEX.

Please don't misunderstand me the LEX is a great exchange and the usability is mostly great, just theres a few minor things that would make it perfect.

Jonathan

thingfishs

YAY!!! ;D ;D ;D

I should've said something before, I figured it was a coding issue or something complicated but just like that, problem solved, thanks a lot Jonathan. :thumbsup:

(I'd hate to think of the number of times I've entered my username & password for the LEX, now a thing of the past :P)

Dan7

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but has anyone considered a SC4D chat? It could be a good way to get quick and thorough help with any forum or LEX/BSC (I havn't learned the difference!  $%Grinno$%), and just a fun way to interact and talk with the other members.
You can call me Daniel. Or you can just call Dan. Danny if you really must. Or if you just want to stick to Dan7, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat. Or sinks it, Although that's probably not the smartest idea.

xxdita

Chat has been suggested numerous times, and though it would probably be a simple program to install on the server, the problems it could create quite simply aren't worth it.

First of all, there's the bandwidth that chat wouid eat up. I'm sure this isn't as big a deal as it once was, but it's still a factor.

Secondly, chat would require staff members actively involved at all times, to monitor the conversation as a whole, make sure there's no spam or other abuses, and deal with any infractions immediately. So chat would take our attentions away from moderating and helping in the forums, and more importantly, away from our own projects, and playing the game. I think it's safe to say that none of the staff is interested in the constant vigil that a chat feature would require of us.

The forums here are set up so that anyone can ask just about anything they need to, be it about creating or using Custom Content, the game itself, and anything to do with either. So even if it's a hardware or Operating System question, you're likely to get help fairly quickly, generally by someone that is quite knowledgable in the particular area. And even better, it's recorded in the forum, so that the next person that comes along with the same question can get their answer that much faster by searching. Unlike chat, which isn't logged for general use, so you often have the same questions asked numerous times a day.

What I love about SC4D is that it's probably the most technical SC4 site on the net, with so much of the forums dedicated to furthering what we do to improve this game. Sure, we have forum games, which can become a more social parlor, just for kicks, but the heart of SC4D is creating Custom Content, and putting it to use.

While we do recognize the possibility of game-changing breakthroughs happening because of the real-time interaction, these things are done much more effectively in a one-on-one MSN convo, without the distractions of an audience.

If there's something you don't feel that you want to post in the forums, any of the staff-members here are more than happy to help you via PM's. Although I do recommend searching the forums a bit first, to try to find your own answer. It's probably best to either PM a staff member that is currently online for the fastest solution, although each of us has our own specialty.

For new members unfamiliar with the staff, simply checking the Staff List button at the top of every page will give you an idea of each Staff Member's specialty, by showing which boards they moderate. Although posting a question in the appropriate forum board, where anyone that knows the answer can help may be even faster than that. And i really doubt that any SC4D member would mind a question. So if there's something you see in a Development thread or Mayor Diary that you have a question about, just ask in that thread or send a PM to the person who's project it is. I can't think of anyone here that would give you a rude answer in return.

Dan7

Well, I won't turn it into a big debate, but chat does not really need to be installed right on to the site. I myself use Mibbit for other chat purposes, and I find it quite useful. Getting set up tere takes about 3-5 minuets, and I could set up an SC4D chan (or room, I think they mean the same thing) there in 5-7 minuets. Maintaining the channel/room could be done by me and maybe 4 ops (basically chat mods). Not that I think it would be a big problem, given our responsible and mature community.  ;)

But as I said, I am only suggesting, not here to debate and argue.
You can call me Daniel. Or you can just call Dan. Danny if you really must. Or if you just want to stick to Dan7, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat. Or sinks it, Although that's probably not the smartest idea.

JoeST

there is already a few IRC channels.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Dan7

Really? Called what on what network?

JoeST

there was a #sc4d or #sc4devotion on freenode, and others
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

WC_EEND

I don't know wether this has already been suggested or is possible to implement (and how hard it is), but I was just wondering wether it would be possible to make the team badges that certain site members have link to the root board.

eg: NAM team badge links to NAM place, ELBT badge links to ELBT place, etc.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

zakuten

I'd like to see a way to remove "unread replies to your post" threads, just in case you don't want to follow the thread anymore...
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

jeronij

Quote from: zakuten on April 08, 2010, 12:56:47 PM
I'd like to see a way to remove "unread replies to your post" threads, just in case you don't want to follow the thread anymore...

You can use the "Notify" button to subscribe/unsubscribe to the different threads. When you post in a thread, notifications are automatically set to on. However, the "Notify" button does not change when you are subscribed/unsubscribed...  ::)  $%Grinno$%
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

zakuten

Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Girafe

The Girafe has a little request, is it possible to ad the european union flag for the profile ? I will be very grateful if someone (Jeronij   ()stsfd()) ad this flag.  ::)

Today lot of people in Europe travel and work in all the Union and now before being German or French we have the European nationality
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    *