• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Hoo Ha's Parking Lots

Started by hooha47, August 08, 2009, 03:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooha47

Thank you FrankU, I really appreciate all the feedback you've given me.

Now that those first two sets are done, I'm working on the shrubbery add-on.  I have 2 variations I've been working on, and I'm curious to see what others think.  The first is the one I showed earlier, with shrubs at the end of each row, like this:

The other one is the same as the first, but adds a row of shrubs between the straight pieces, like this:

I've also modified most of the entrance lots to add a little more greenery, two of them are visible in the pics above.

Any preferences or feedback?
"If you want to have cities, you've got to build roads." - Cake

See all my lots on the STEX
And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

metarvo

Good work, Hoo Ha!  More parking is always nice, and this is a well-built set.  To me, the greenery and trees give the parking lots a medium-wealth appearance.  Of course, this is fine for most upscale shopping and medical centers, which I'm sure I will use these lots for.  The shopping cart areas are quite realistic, as well.  Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Jack_wilds

Hello Hooha, Jack wilds here...

Frankly I like 'em both  :)
... as it really depends on the location, purpose and development zoning.

I see either one in business park applications, the first would be good with AC-airports and the like but the second I'd use for upscale retail, medical places etc...  ::)

its all good... :thumbsup: I'd like a pick-up/drop-off approach for the airports and the maxis hospital,

Jack  :satisfied:

j-dub

Hooha, if its not too much of a bother, have you ever considered this? (See Link)
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?p=files&keyword=xiahou%20dun&view=all

I like using those yellow lines, I am sure more people would too with lots only you could release. The yellow line textures are only overlay textures, so they can over lap asphalt, brick, cement, anything.  As you can see, instead of just textures, there actually are curbs with grass props made to be more realistic, and let people determine where they want their planted islands. I am sure the same props can be used over white line painted parking lots too. An example is here:

As for the shrubbery addon variations you already shown, they are fine :thumbsup:, both styles I see in reality, but like I said though, in addition to those white lines on grey asphalt, if more versions of those styled lots were done with yellow lines on black asphalt, yellow lines on grey asphalt, white lines on black asphalt, you would be well on your way.

tamorr

Well these do look fine for part of an addon... My only suggestion is really to an addition to those. The Diamond shape planter with a tree, that would have pretty much parking space for compact cars, or smaller cars like the nice british MG or similiar, if not a bug. Well that is my idea.
   I do know I see what I am talking about in a walmart parking lot in Turlock near the freeway, as well in many of the central California towns/cities. There wouldn't be a row of bushes, just the diamond shape planter every so often spaced through some of the large parking lots.
   They look rather nice to me, and I really like the white lines as that is what I see mostly anyway. :)
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

FrankU

I agree with Metarvo. Wait untill we see his powerlines voer your parkinlots!

And about yellow lines and other types of streetcoverings: of course there is always more to make. And as far as you feel like doing other types, who am I to disencourage you? But in game I think it will be wise to use not too many types. My menus are already longer than is good for healthy game play.
I will never use yellow lines, but that's my limited mind; because we have no yellow lines on the seets here in the Netherlands.

SpeedyFarrar

I really like your lots, they're very useful!  I would suggest using the parking lot textures in the LBT_TexturePack2, IMO they're nicer.

hooha47

Thank you for all the feedback.  Metarvo, I really appreciate your kind words.  Jack_wilds, I have some ideas for a drop off/pick up addition, so keep watching.  j-dub, I do have the textures and props you linked to.  I never could figure out how to use most of the props in a way that I liked, and I wanted to limit dependencies.  As for the textures . . .

I might be able to do something in yellow. ;)

tamorr, I know exactly what you're talking about.  I was looking at a parking lot the other day (I was parking there, I don't search out parking lots for inspiration, though I do look at them much more closely now than I ever used to) that had circles instead of diamonds, but same idea.  There are some problems with implementing it in a way that I like, but I might try to figure something out.  I could probably do it with just one or two pieces.  FrankU, thanks again for your support.  SpeedyFarrar, thank you for the compliment.  I have those textures as well.  I like them, but I don't think I'm going to do anything with them.  Maybe you should.  I'd be happy to help you out.  Thanks to all the support I've gotten here, I know a lot about making parking lots. ;)

I'll have more soon.  I'm going to release the shrub lots I showed in the first picture of my previous post, I just need to put on the finishing touches.

. . . I just noticed, this is reply #47, which is an important number to me, as evidenced by me screen name.  It's also way more replies than I ever expected to get when I started this thread. 

And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

SC4BOY

Perhaps you might consider, just for fun and as a learning process, making lots with "changable overlays" for tile color and stripping color.. similar to the way its done in the BSC parks.. by setting a group of textures with the same ID but with different textures.. The last one loaded (or the only  one loaded if they are a "select one" before loading into the plugins type option) will be the one shown. This would also allow one to change the colors in a city that is already built without having to replop anything by making a change to the plugins arrangement.

Of course there is value in having a VARIETY of parking lots, but it may have a useful application as it seems some people are in areas where there is predominately a single type of paving practices.

Just a thought...  ;)

j-dub

hooha47

SC4BOY, that's a great idea.  I'll definitely look into that.

Add On 2 (Shrubs) is now available in gray and black on the STEX.  Here are the lots:

1.  Straight Entrance
   2. 4 Way Entrance
   3. T Right Entrance
   4. T Left Entrance
   5. T Entrance
   6. 4 Way Entrance #2
   7. T Left Entrance #2
   8. T Right Entrance #2
   9. T
  10. Left Corner
  11. Right Corner
  12. T #2
  13. 4 Way Thru
  14. T Barrier Left
  15. T Barrier Right

I've still got a few more ideas for additional add ons.  I'll show some pictures of what I'm working on next soon.  Thanks again for all the support.

metasmurf

Are there any eye candy non functional versions of your lots?

hooha47

metasmurf, not yet.  It's funny you mention it, I was just thinking earlier today that maybe that would be useful for some people.  I could easily release the entrance lots as non-functional lots.  Did you have any particular set in mind?

clearlypowa

Nice work  :)  i like both versions of textures (walking snakes and Xiaou textures)

Good luck

metasmurf

Quote from: hooha47 on September 26, 2009, 09:29:07 PM
metasmurf, not yet.  It's funny you mention it, I was just thinking earlier today that maybe that would be useful for some people.  I could easily release the entrance lots as non-functional lots.  Did you have any particular set in mind?

Actually any of your sets would do, since they're all well made :) You pick!

tamorr

Yeah One or two pieces would be fine... With the style you are making them you could just make the Diamond planter a 1x2 piece as I usually only see them near the central locations anyhow... That way at least the inner most parking lots could have a planter styled that way with one tree.

And yeah I've seen the circular ones too, not often but their there. There are so many kinds in variations I've seen. Well If there is one ever made for the pieces usually near sidewalk then the half diamond doesn't half to have parking space as it would take up two parking spaces for that one anyway.

I wouldn't mind having one for the first idea though for the inner most portions of parking lots...  :)

I do like what you have done so far, and definately will be enjoying the customization in game. :thumbsup:
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
"Patience is a virtue."

hooha47

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I'm still working on a couple more add ons for the modular parking sets, but in the meantime, I did release all the entrance lots from the first 3 sets as non-functional (eye candy) lots, because it seemed like they would be useful (and metasmurf requested them ;)).  As usual, they are available in gray and in black on the STEX.

I'll have pics of the next add on soon, stay tuned!

hooha47

As promised, here are some pictures of what I'm working on.  The next set will be drop off/pick up areas for the parking lots.  First I have these:

And then this one, with crosswalks, taxis and some other props added:

You can also see in the above pictures the two new entrance lots that attach to the new driveway.  There's also a new piece that connects to the driveways that's not an entrance lot (not shown here).

And, for the smaller parking lots, I have these roundabout end pieces:

This is very much a work in progress.  I'm not at all sure whether I like what I've got here or not, so I'd really like some feedback.  Constructive criticism is always welcome.

tamorr

The big drop offs look great, and I'd have to agree with you that the smaller ones don't quite look right... Almost looks Collision central, but *shrugs* hmm.... maybe if there were not too many parking spaces near the roundabout entrance.... Maybe that would make it look at least feasible.... Hopefully.. :)
"Patience is a virtue."

tahill79

Are you making these with both dark and light?  I use the dark and really like the drop  off with the trees and bushes.  Great Job!!!!