• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Large Runway Lots

Started by mbsimcity, January 28, 2016, 08:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbsimcity

Ever since I discovered the RMIP lot sets, I've obsessed with building realistic airports in SC4.  The RMIP is a fantastic set of lots but the runway are modeled as 75 feet wide.

I wanted to see if I could come up with a set of pieces that would allow modeling runways that can accommodate the world's largest commercial aircrafts.  I based my research on current FAA specifications for airport designs.

The runways are 200 feet wide with 40 foot shoulders on both sides.  The taxiways are 82 feet wide with 40 foot shoulders on both sides.  Given these dimensions, designing the runways is pretty easy.  I opted for a 4 x 2 tile lot to represent a 100 foot long section of runway.  The 40 foot wide runway shoulder is a separate 1 x 2 tile lot.  A straight 100 foot long section of taxiway is modeled as a 4 x 2 tile lot.  However, intersections and curved sections need to be much larger.

Here's some eye candy

Here's that same image with magenta and aqua outlines to show the actual lots.  The aqua outlines denote unique lots.

The design process that I've been using is using CAD software to accurately model runway and taxiway elements.  Then I translate that image into a layered bitmap image (I use GIMP).

I'm still trying to learn the process of creating custom SC4 lots.  I know that the bitmap image I've shown here needs to be carved up into 128 x 128 pixels images and these will form the base texture of the lots.  But, I'm finding it hard to get information on creating new lots.

Finally, the image that I posted, only shows a small subset of the lots needed even for the most basic set of lots.  If there's interest, I'm more than happy to discuss what what I'll be working on next.

Cheers,

SC4 - Large Airport Builder project

woodb3kmaster

Excellent design work so far! It's a real pleasure to see someone take up the realistic airport mantle.

If you haven't checked it out already, I recommend taking a look at the AC Team's RMIP-3 project thread. Sadly, Gwail's images have been lost thanks to Imageshack, but you can at least get some idea for what they were trying to achieve (before going totally inactive, that is). Their plans for wider runways included several of the same features as your planned set, including rapid-exit taxiways and separate shoulder lots, so what few pictures are left should serve as a good reference.

I look forward to seeing how you progress from here!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Themistokles

Very nice work so far, great to see someone picking up the airports again!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Molang

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on January 28, 2016, 10:41:23 PM
Excellent design work so far! It's a real pleasure to see someone take up the realistic airport mantle.

If you haven't checked it out already, I recommend taking a look at the AC Team's RMIP-3 project thread. Sadly, Gwail's images have been lost thanks to Imageshack, but you can at least get some idea for what they were trying to achieve (before going totally inactive, that is). Their plans for wider runways included several of the same features as your planned set, including rapid-exit taxiways and separate shoulder lots, so what few pictures are left should serve as a good reference.

I look forward to seeing how you progress from here!

It's a shame that the RMIP-3 project seems to have died, I was looking so forward to those new steady burning taxiway and runway lights. Man they were so realistic. Now that you brought it up, I shedded a tear whenever someone brings up "RMIP-3"  :(

On topic, the concept looks great, it's been a long time since anybody has touched Custom module airports. I'll look be looking forward. 
Annyeongseo! 몰랑 Immida!

noahclem

Looks outstanding  &apls  There's a Japanese addon that works with the 2-tile RMIP stuff to make 4-tile runways but options are fairly limited and certainly nothing like those high speed "exit ramps" or whatever they're called that you've shown here. I'll be eagerly following your work on this  :thumbsup:

NielsC007

I've recently built a number of different airports. I might just completely demolish them and start from scratch just to have some more realistic looking runways! I am certainly very excited to see where this will end up!

Best of luck
- Niels

mbsimcity

Thank you for the encouragement.

I had been following the thread on the RMIP3-Large Airport Edition project.  It's abrupt end is what pushed me to figure out how to create lots and make my own.

It should be noted that the RMIP3 project appeared to be modeling 150 foot-wide runways, whereas I will be going for 200 foot-wide.  200 foot-wide runways are required to accommodate the Airbus A380.

So, here's the first lot...  The runway threshold with a threshold bar.  This lot is used when a blast pad is in place.

Cheers,

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

noahclem

200' runways are, for me at least, definitely the most useful option. 150' are common enough too though which is the biggest reason I was bummed out about the RMIP going inactive. Xannepan released some 150' runways not too long ago which have a lot of neat stuff about them, but they are prefabricated so customization isn't really possible, and none of them are as long as a real full length runway. I tried looking for a link to the Japanese 200' runways I mentioned before but couldn't find them--will let you know if I do.

Great to see you get your first lot under your belt  :thumbsup:  I think you're going to want to find concrete textures that have some noise to them though; it seems extremely uniform right now. I forget how it's all done, but I'd imagine a lot of RMIP textures could be recycled if their lots are done with a concrete base and overlays for paint, shoulders, details, etc. In any case, I should be able to help you make a concrete texture if you want to do that :)

MushyMushy

Here's the x4 (200') Japanese runways made by bripizza. I'm pretty sure these are the ones you're talking about: http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/

This looks like an interesting project! I must ask though, are those some sort of placeholder textures? Usually airport runways are pretty grungy and messy looking.

belfastsocrates

This is VERY exciting! I'm planning to show Passau's airport this year and I'd love to see this project progress further.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

mbsimcity

@noahclem, @MushyMushy, @belfastsocrates  Thanks for the comments.

Yes, those textures are placeholders.  I tried grabbing a section of concrete from Google Maps's Satellite View from some section of a Chicago O'hare taxiway. It didn't really turn out :D  I'm more interested in getting the geometry correct at first.  I can always update the texture later.  @noahclem if you've got some good concrete textures, that would be awesome!  On my wish list are also:
- tire skid marks
- the white and yellow paint should look a bit worn (right now I'm using 0xFFFFFF for white, and 0xFFED00 for yellow)

Here's a screen capture showing the lots that I've completed.

Cheers,

NielsC007

Looking good, can't wait till the proper textures are applied!

AsimPika3172

Awesome! Keep moving forward! :)
I loves Sim City forever!

mjw5147

Agreed! I really hope you find the time to finish this... I'd love some decent concrete runways for a change. Great work!

j-dub

Question, if originating asphalt or concrete textures is too difficult, did you consider the overlay texture approach by turning the opacity down on the green textures, while completely removing the grey textured areas under the white lane markings all together? I think the pre-existing base Maxis textures that's just the patterned asphalt or cement may still be okay under these, there should be a few to chose.