• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

perpatual scrolling, unknown shortkey or weird fluke?

Started by vortext, October 02, 2011, 05:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Maybe I'm just reinventing the wheel here but yesterday I found out an automatic scrolling option by accident and couldn't find anything about it on the interwebs so I wanted to check if this is normal (and perhaps known already).

Open a city and do the following;

Press and hold an arrow key
Press and hold shift key
Release arrow key
Release shift key

If I'm correct, you can now sit back and enjoy your city srolling along the screen. It will keep going even if you counter steer with the mouse, change zoomlevel or viewing direction. Only when you press an arrow key will it end. In combination with the animation option it will make for perfect animated mosaics! And it also works in region view. Enjoy
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Gringamuyloca

:thumbsup:
I haven't read about this one before, so I had to try it out... it works!  ;D

Only thing... on my machine the auto scrolling is jerky and kinda blurry in both region and city mode; too bad there isn't a way to control the 'speed' of the auto-scroll.  ::)

Tamara

Kitsune

Quote from: vortext on October 02, 2011, 05:56:17 AM
Maybe I'm just reinventing the wheel here but yesterday I found out an automatic scrolling option by accident and couldn't find anything about it on the interwebs so I wanted to check if this is normal (and perhaps known already).

Open a city and do the following;

Press and hold an arrow key
Press and hold shift key
Release arrow key
Release shift key

If I'm correct, you can now sit back and enjoy your city srolling along the screen. It will keep going even if you counter steer with the mouse, change zoomlevel or viewing direction. Only when you press an arrow key will it end. In combination with the animation option it will make for perfect animated mosaics! And it also works in region view. Enjoy

so thats what the key combo is... I've sometimes triggered this by accident.
~ NAM Team Member

Lowkee33

Quote from: Gringamuyloca on October 02, 2011, 08:38:06 AMtoo bad there isn't a way to control the 'speed' of the auto-scroll.  ::)

Attached  ;)

The property KeyboardScrollSpeed has been dropped from 0.2 to 0.05

There are other properties in there that effect mouse scroll and the like.

I've used this method for the tree controller as well.  Trees planted while scrolling don't get rendered, so it speeds up the planting process (that is, until you stop scrolling).

Gringamuyloca

Tamara