• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Manager

Started by Yild, November 11, 2012, 01:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

I'm having the same problem as Lotherius with regards to the "add" button not doing anything. It never actually adds the lot to the menu and doesn't give an error either.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Yild

Quote from: CasperVg on January 17, 2013, 10:15:15 PM
I'm having the same problem as Lotherius with regards to the "add" button not doing anything. It never actually adds the lot to the menu and doesn't give an error either.

ok, strange thing... I did some tests and THERE is a problem with latest upload, why no one reported this error I don't know,
I have downloaded my upload and there is this error - nothing happens when "adding", but at my installation where nothing was change in source code since then it works fine.

I will reupload this ASAP (12h or less from now).

Sorry for inconvenience  ()sad()
DAMN Manager download: at LEX at STEX
DAMN Manager support thread: at SC4Dev

Yild

atm only uploaded at STEX, I have some problems with uploading at LEX - web browser freezes :P

btw. now I know that people download my program but they don't use it :/

CasperVg

Quote from: Yild on January 18, 2013, 01:22:29 AM
atm only uploaded at STEX, I have some problems with uploading at LEX - web browser freezes :P

btw. now I know that people download my program but they don't use it :/

I've downloaded the update from the STEX and can confirm that it works now. Thanks! As for "people not using it", I think that's untrue. It's the kind of tool you don't use every day, but instead spend a good few hours on one time, indexing everything and making all the menus, which is probably why no-one has mentioned the bug yet. I really like it; it works well and is very intuitive.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

lotherius

Quote from: Yild on January 17, 2013, 09:45:21 PM
You are the only one who experience the "errors" on that scale...

Quote from: Yild on January 17, 2013, 11:13:30 PM
Quote from: CasperVg on January 17, 2013, 10:15:15 PM

ok, strange thing... I did some tests and THERE is a problem with latest upload, why no one reported this error I don't know,
I have downloaded my upload and there is this error - nothing happens when "adding", but at my installation where nothing was change in source code since then it works fine.

I will reupload this ASAP (12h or less from now).

Sorry for inconvenience  ()sad()

Maybe I'm experiencing errors because I'm using the app LOL... or trying to. I'll give the latest version a go and see how it goes.

I think a lot of people probably download it thinking "I'll do this later" or something. There are those of us out there who do appreciate the effort though, so no placebos :)

edit: Bad News

Latest version download is back to the zombie process problem. Doesn't load at all, just gets stuck and has to be killed off in Task Manager, and now the workaround of copying the locale file to the English folder doesn't work.

edit 2:
Dunno what's up, I can't get any version to launch... all get stuck on zombie processes. I have tried a clean plugins folder, have tried the "move the locale file" trick, etc... I even tried 1.06 again which loaded previously but had the add button issue, and it gets stuck as a zombie process as well. No error messages or feedback of ANY kind that the program has even been launched, it just shows up in task manager without any kind of UI ever appearing. It gets as far as creating the zzzzzz_DAMN_Hidden folder before it hangs, it that helps.

Maybe if you could have the program create a logfile?

Yild

lotherius...
I uploaded modified version at STEX, file name is DAMNManager1.0.7b.zip

to create startup logs  execute DAMNManager.exe with -slog parameter
i.e. modify shortcut to something like this "e:\D2009KODY\_bin\DAMNManager\DAMNManager.exe" -slog

it will create startup.log file in the DAMN Manager main folder

ps. give me memory usage of this 'zombie' process
pps. I was thinking about this 'zombie' process and there might be problem with main form size/position - this setting is saved/loaded from the settings.ini file, there is a "mainwindow" section - it may contain invalid values (despite that when setting this I check for negative values and greater than desktop resolution)

lotherius

Quote from: Yild on January 19, 2013, 09:04:18 AM
lotherius...

Certainly, however it will probably be another 8 hours before I have the chance to run try it.

If the logfile doesn't provide anything useful at that point, I'll clone my sc4 install into an XP Virtualbox session and see if there is any difference.

EDIT: Lol, I haven't touched anything else on my computer since last night (no reboots, anything) and 1.07b loaded up without delay.

I'll play with it and let you know if it acts up again.

EDIT 2: Btw, still getting the TGI error on preview images, is this a known issue or something else strange with my config?

EDIT 3: The add button still is unresponsive. Cannot add items to menus.

Plus, if I click on the NAM folder, it is predefined with (1) item inside it, the entire thing just locks up. I can create other folders without causing the app to freeze, but again, I can't add lots to them as the add button doesn't seem to be working still. (this problem solved by deleting the full DAMN install and starting over. But the Add button still doesn't work so I have empty menus.

Yild

Quote from: lotherius on January 19, 2013, 11:41:09 AM
Quote from: Yild on January 19, 2013, 09:04:18 AM
lotherius...

Certainly, however it will probably be another 8 hours before I have the chance to run try it.

If the logfile doesn't provide anything useful at that point, I'll clone my sc4 install into an XP Virtualbox session and see if there is any difference.

EDIT: Lol, I haven't touched anything else on my computer since last night (no reboots, anything) and 1.07b loaded up without delay.

I'll play with it and let you know if it acts up again.

EDIT 2: Btw, still getting the TGI error on preview images, is this a known issue or something else strange with my config?

EDIT 3: The add button still is unresponsive. Cannot add items to menus.

Plus, if I click on the NAM folder, it is predefined with (1) item inside it, the entire thing just locks up. I can create other folders without causing the app to freeze, but again, I can't add lots to them as the add button doesn't seem to be working still. (this problem solved by deleting the full DAMN install and starting over. But the Add button still doesn't work so I have empty menus.

hmm... I wish I had some solution for your problems...

"tgi images errors" are raised when image in dbpf file is in unknown format or is malformed in some kind (file structure is changed and it cannot be read correctly).

There is upload at STEX 1.0.7c with some 'add' log - when you hit 'add' some info will be added to startup.log - to enable logging use -slog as in my previous post, this entries will start with '--- plugins add proc: ' string.

btw problem with unresponsive 'add' maybe related (in this case) to the "max items" setting in the Settings window ("general" tab), you can add items only when items count in focused DAMN menu is lover than this value.

Try to delete settings.ini - program will use default values and will recreate this file.

lotherius

Quote from: Yild on January 19, 2013, 10:17:02 PM
"tgi images errors" are raised when image in dbpf file is in unknown format or is malformed in some kind (file structure is changed and it cannot be read correctly).

There is upload at STEX 1.0.7c with some 'add' log - when you hit 'add' some info will be added to startup.log - to enable logging use -slog as in my previous post, this entries will start with '--- plugins add proc: ' string.

btw problem with unresponsive 'add' maybe related (in this case) to the "max items" setting in the Settings window ("general" tab), you can add items only when items count in focused DAMN menu is lover than this value.

Try to delete settings.ini - program will use default values and will recreate this file.

Deleted settings.ini.

It looks like the log function thinks it added the menu item, but it didn't actually do it.

Here is a pastebin of my log: http://pastebin.com/hCLQe5kg

Plus the TGI error happens on ALL lots, even Maxis default. Hard to see how that could be anything corrupt or wrong in individual lots when it happens on EVERY lot?

Here's a video of what happens when I use the DAMN Manager currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut4nz1vdcsQ&feature=youtu.be

Yild

ok...  &mmm

log "looks" ok at closer look log is incomplete,

in your log there is no

--- plugins add proc: worker end... ---

lines,

correct order should be

--- plugins add proc: adding item... ---
--- plugins add proc: worker start... ---

'add' button doesn't do anything - if there is an error while 'moving' elements from lots list into damn menu list, if i.e. image is 'not good'.

I have another task for you, in settings window at 'general' tab uncheck 'Ignore Lots without icon', it will add i.e. lots without 'resource item key' properties to found lots list - and it should create blank (white) icon with 'no icon' caption. select some folder and please scan it, something should appear 'without' icon.

Problem with images may be related to some errors in library that I used for image manipulation, win8 or hardware related.

lotherius

Quote from: Yild on January 20, 2013, 02:28:35 PM
ok...  &mmm

log "looks" ok at closer look log is incomplete,

in your log there is no

lines,

correct order should be

--- plugins add proc: adding item... ---
--- plugins add proc: worker start... ---

'add' button doesn't do anything - if there is an error while 'moving' elements from lots list into damn menu list, if i.e. image is 'not good'.

I have another task for you, in settings window at 'general' tab uncheck 'Ignore Lots without icon', it will add i.e. lots without 'resource item key' properties to found lots list - and it should create blank (white) icon with 'no icon' caption. select some folder and please scan it, something should appear 'without' icon.

Problem with images may be related to some errors in library that I used for image manipulation, win8 or hardware related.

Same results with the Ignore Lots icon unchecked. I can select lots on the top (all still have a black preview image and TGI errors), but they are never moved to the bottom to be added to the menu. Also logfile is same as before.

I'm about to head out so I'll start an XP install on virtualbox so I can test there.

Yild

Quote from: lotherius on January 20, 2013, 03:01:51 PM
I'm about to head out so I'll start an XP install on virtualbox so I can test there.

I was trying to install win8 at oracle vm but it stuck at loading screen, did some research and I will try ms virtualpc tomorrow :/

btw. there are 'compatibility tab' in shortcut settings, you could try that

damn why this don't want to cooperate :/

lotherius

Quote from: Yild on January 20, 2013, 03:08:24 PM
Quote from: lotherius on January 20, 2013, 03:01:51 PM
btw. there are 'compatibility tab' in shortcut settings, you could try that

Compatibility was one of the first things I tried. XP compatibility with SP3... tried Administrator as well, though I have everything on D: drive so that shouldn't be an issue.

In my experience, what works on Windows 7 64 bit should work on Windows 8 64 bit..... I just want to try the XP box to see if it's OS related specifically or if using the same files & configuration will give me the same problems.

As far as hardware (doubt its related, but I'll give it a shot), this is what I'm running:
AMD Phenom II Quad Core.
8GB Ram.
Radeon 6850.

Yild

Im uploading atm 1.0.7d at STEX - added some logs to function that reads icon entry form dbpf file and create preview image

lotherius

- MakeIconFromEntry: enter
- MakeIconFromEntry: params assigned
- MakeIconFromEntry: getfile, size:8466
- MakeIconFromEntry: stream created
- MakeIconFromEntry: write to stream
- MakeIconFromEntry: image load from stream begin
- MakeIconFromEntry: EPngError raised
- MakeIconFromEntry: try if jpg
- MakeIconFromEntry: jpg write to stram begin
- MakeIconFromEntry: jpg exception raised
- MakeIconFromEntry: leave
- MakeIconFromEntry: enter
- MakeIconFromEntry: params assigned
- MakeIconFromEntry: getfile, size:8317
- MakeIconFromEntry: stream created
- MakeIconFromEntry: write to stream
- MakeIconFromEntry: image load from stream begin
- MakeIconFromEntry: EPngError raised
- MakeIconFromEntry: try if jpg
- MakeIconFromEntry: jpg write to stram begin
- MakeIconFromEntry: jpg exception raised
- MakeIconFromEntry: leave

Same results on any lot. These two are from Maxis' Longfellow Castle.

lotherius

Okay, so I've tested inside VirtualBox using Windows XP...

results...

mixed.

The TGI errors go away, and I can see preview images (yay)

Add button still does not work (nay).

Some ploppable lot files that were showing up in DAMN Manager (without images) under Windows 8 simply do not show up at all under XP (odd)..

For example this lot:
http://www.simpeg.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=225
Shows up under DAMN Manager with Windows 8, but does not show up under Windows XP

Lots that do show up under XP though still won't add to the menus.

I'll try tomorrow in XP again, but with a clean plugins folder and only one or two test lots installed.

Yild

aha... BIG THANKS for link above...

at win xp: manager loaded this without a problem

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/test1se.jpg/

But

Add button do nothing... investigating now...

Edit:

ERROR FOUND at least the 'Add' button one...

Edit2:
Updated to 1.0.8 at STEX and LEX, the -slog parameter is still present

Edit3:
Installing win8 64b atm on VM... I hope I can replicate this problem

Edit4:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/test1kq.jpg/ - simcity internal lots list
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/test2yl.jpg/ - gettys building

hmm..., It doesn't mean that manager works. It's virtual machine, without any external app, without drivers, even steam is launched from pendrive

About problem when manager couldn't find lot from your link.
At startup, another thread is started that reads exemplars from the simcity_1.dat file for possible "parent cohort" that can be used by scanned plugins, and there is no blockade that would prevent scanning plugins folder in this time.
You can see that in 'Extras' menu, 'Add simcity lots' menu item is disabled in that time.
Allowing users to scan plugins before this is finished may be a design flaw.

lotherius

Odd... I don't know what would be different on my config...

The behaviour is the same. If it's something on my system, I'm unsure what it would be. I don't have much installed.

EDIT: Okay, the add button now works _in XP VirtualBox_ but still not in Windows 8...

But some of the lots are still not showing up in XP VirtualBox. This may be a path/registry issue however, because I did not actually "install" simcity to XP but rather copied my existing install from Windows 8 over the network. Thus DAMN Manager asks me every startup where my SimCity folder is, but I don't think that's "taking", as under XP the Extras->Add Simcity Lots remains grayed out, whereas it is not grayed out in Windows 8....

So, one possible new issue identified: When install location manually specified, it doesn't seem to pick up the maxis files from Simcity program files, thus causing items depending on those to fail.

Still doesn't explain the TGI / no Add button in Windows 8, but it appears to be working better in XP as the add button does work there.

So I should be able to do a "proper" install of SimCity with registry entries on XP and use that environment to edit my menus for now. Will test that tomorrow.

Oh, and -slog doesn't seem to want to provide logs today. Actually, it was doing logs without -slog before, now it doesn't do logs with or without.

Yild

Quote from: lotherius on January 21, 2013, 08:21:55 PM
But some of the lots are still not showing up in XP VirtualBox. This may be a path/registry issue however, because I did not actually "install" simcity to XP but rather copied my existing install from Windows 8 over the network. Thus DAMN Manager asks me every startup where my SimCity folder is, but I don't think that's "taking", as under XP the Extras->Add Simcity Lots remains grayed out, whereas it is not grayed out in Windows 8....

no need to install simcity - just run it, and it will create registry entries, I had experienced this yesterday - I will correct this, and -slog,,, yes I had modified something and didn't test it  &Thk/(

still... what's with 'add' button...

Edit:

what did I modified today...

- selecting path problem - the simcity_1.dat reader didn't receive correct path - file wasn't found - terminate app,
- speed up loading time - previously ALL (if you had 5000 items...) damn menu items was loaded at start no only items from root node and its children,
- new magic app parameter just for lotherius...,
- redesigned startup log.

lotherius

Got it working last night. No idea what the issue was!

I re-installed Windows 8 and kept the same SimCity config that I had before. So it wasn't a problem with any of the plugins... Made sure to check as I installed all the same stuff I had installed before if anything broke it, graphics drivers, codec packs, etc, nothing seemed to cause any issue this time.

The only substantive difference is that I had been running Enterprise Preview (which was supposed to be same as RTM, a full non-beta Windows 8) and I finally got around to switching to a retail copy. So it was either that, or some obscure conflict with a driver/app.

Anyway, it's working now and thanks to all the troubleshooting apparently we did squish a couple of other bugs.