• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Back with another update . . . one that will surprise you a little.

But first, replies:

sebes:  Thanks, I thought you might enjoy that update, being a fellow roadgeek type. ;)  And don't worry, the existing bridge over the Bruford will be staying in place--it's historical.  Not nearly as spectacular as the Highway 89 bridge over the Bruford, though, which I'll have to show in a future update.

Zack (woodb3kmaster):  Thanks, glad you found the update informative, and there will be more of the new Highway 2 alignment shortly.  And you spotted Nywood Road in Argentum, too . . . I probably was in fact thinking Nyhaven when I came up with that, which, being a big roadgeek CJ/MD that was a bit of an inspiration here, deserves an honor.  Hope you managed to get the SAM Diagonals figured out, too--feel free to drop me a PM if you're still having issues. :)

Jan (Swamper77): Thanks for hitting the big #600!  As a result, you'll be getting "on the map"--in fact, you'll be getting a parkway, which will be shown in a very near future update.

bob56:  Hope I was able to help you out!

dragonshardz:  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

deathtopumpkins:  Thanks for the kind words!  I'm glad you enjoyed the TDOT overview.  I've been thinking about numbering systems quite a bit recently, trying to wrap my head around Oregon's system (which doesn't make much sense upon first glance).  TDOT's never been keen on the statutory idea . . . mainly because the Traffic Management Division has some specificity fiends and doesn't want to leave anything to chance.  :D 

Haljackey:  Glad you enjoyed the little bit on TDOT and the new highway--thanks!  There will be more where that came from shortly. ;)

metarvo:  Thanks!  Being a big roadgeek, I can't help but be mesmerized by numbering systems.  I know of plenty of "violations" of the rules around these parts, too.  Interstate 82, which I frequented the couple years I lived in its "western" terminus (Ellensburg, WA) over here bothers the heck out of me. :D 

Pat:  Thanks, glad you enjoyed the latest installment, and I'm sure TDOT is looking forward to having that freeway in place once and for all.

Matt (threestooges):  Thanks--and that's a good question on the primary routes.  I'm not sure TDOT ever really plans on having more than 10, since the "secondary" routes are sometimes up to primary standards . . . of course, one idea that has been floated is that they start using hexadecimal numbers. ::)  I figured you might enjoy the legalese in there, and it sounds like your Negotiations professor should have a little talk with ODOT.  :D  They "Whereas" everything.  As far as why TDOT waited until 0.03 miles past Main Street to start the next speed zone, it was primarily so there was a little "buffer" for motorists heading into the 20mph zone before the Main Street intersection.  It's a standard thing ODOT does as well (they even get as ridiculously specific as 50 feet on some Speed Zone Orders). 

David (dedgren):  Thanks for the compliments on the highway shield!  I was shooting for a sort of "abstract mountain" design. 

There were actually a few other drafts I did before coming up with that one.  The first one, which was a bit boring:

And one of the more entertaining ones--decided it was too gimmicky and not terribly legible:

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed the numbering discussion.  Here in Oregon, actually, the cities and counties have quite a bit of reign over some stretches of state highway . . . largely because ODOT has actually turned over control of some of them (in entirety, even) to local jurisdictions, aside from keeping the route numbers and issuing Speed Zone Orders.  Which, from what I've seen, has been a good thing, particularly since the county road departments are generally well-funded here.

And you'll be seeing quite a bit more of TDOT's operations here shortly . . . they have some big plans . . .

Casper (caspervg):  Hey, no worries.  :)  Glad you enjoyed them!

David (Simpson):  Thanks for the kind words; glad you liked the terrain mod and the road curves--plenty more of them to come . . . albeit the terrain will be taking a bit of a "detour" this update as well. ;)

Arthur (art128):  Thanks for the compliments--I'm glad you enjoyed the construction work!

bat: Thanks for the kind words on the roads, and for congratulating me on #600 . . . couldn't have done it without you and everyone else who has posted here, either.  :)

Eric (EDGE4194):  Thanks!  Glad you liked the TDOT overview, and thanks for the congratulations as well!

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks for the kind words!  I'm glad you like the route shields as well--you'll be seeing lots more of them, too.

Well, at any rate, I'd like to take a "detour" and introduce you to the City of Lenox (population ~32,000). 

Road map to the immediate vicinity:

As you can see, Lenox and the surrounding valley has one of TDOT's primary highways, Highway 3, running through it.  While it is a primary north-south route, it kind of tends more east-west through Lenox, and as it zig-zags through between some of the surrounding foothills.

Overview, looking north:

And no, you do not need to adjust your monitor.  That really is green terrain (Columbus, to be precise).  Lenox is about 200 miles west of Argentum, in an area that receives much more precipitation. 

And a few random pics from around the city:

Downtown, looking toward the west:

Closer in:

Azalea Avenue (Highway 151) where it splits into the Main St/Railroad St One-Way Couplet, with the Sealey Way intersection, facing north.  The intersection of Railroad and Sealey is the busiest in the city, recording an peak hour volume of 2600.  Two-way traffic is allowed for half-a-block on Main to act as a sort of "left turn lane" onto northbound Sealey. 

This is looking west at the Main/Railroad couplet intersecting with Orson Road, near the bridge.  Orson Road is a major north-south arterial connecting downtown Lenox to the industrial district.  Random fact: Lenox has two Burger Kings, and no McDonald's.

The aforementioned industrial district, facing north.  As you can see, it's in a prime location, with access to Highway 3 and a rail line.

Closer in:

The east end of the Main/Railroad couplet (facing west), where it merges to form Hidden Valley Road.  (Salad dressing, anyone?)

A shot of the eastern agricultural district.  This is looking north along Brinstar Road.

Back along Highway 3, here is its interchange with Tigard Drive, a major surface arterial in the west part of Lenox (facing north).  It is where Highway 151 links into Highway 3--151 was formerly the main highway through the region, but became a tertiary route when the Highway 3 freeway bypassed it.

The Azalea Avenue/Tigard Drive intersection, a major commercial hub in western Lenox (facing north).

Tigard Drive to the south of the freeway, going past a residential neighborhood:

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

I think I see that interchange you posted on the Show Us Your Intersections thread on that map... (40/3 along the bottom)

That's a nice looking town... the columbus terrain's nice for a change.

Ooh... a target... where'd you get that?

There is some really cool stuff shown in this update. And I think I've spotted both Burger Kings.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Dark_horse_spirit

What is that Industrial Building with the golden roof, nice!

j-dub

Hey Alex, why no center turn lane (TLA-5) in this dense commercial area?

By the way, respectively speaking about burger king. McDonald's at least has a house of charities which sponsors families whose children are in the hospital, and Wendy's has an adoption program sponsoring orphans, and what does BK do, previously sponsor previous EA games other than this one like some of the NFS series, by offering more $ than McDonals did in the first NFSu1. Don't get me wrong, BK's dollar burger, seems more valuble than MickieD's version, with less grease.

metarvo

Quote from: Tarkus on October 30, 2008, 06:39:30 PM
Random fact: Lenox has two Burger Kings, and no McDonald's.

That's what I call a monopoly. :D  Where do people go to get their Big Macs now?  Not to mention those golden, tasty fries...

How did I get off on that?  Anyway, this is another great update, Alex.  I like your use of the SAM dark streets very much. :)  The Columbus Terrain's pretty much what I use now, too.  I haven't been able to go back after using it once.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

allan_kuan1992

Err... I think someone hired some drunk engineers again... :D

That RHW beside the highway is messed up... too bumpy... as well as some illogical road intersections in a number of places... $%Grinno$%

Oh well... I guess this was intentional so that the bulldozers can go out and play one day. :D

- Allan K.

Heh . . . TDOT's one step ahead of you, Allan.

Though a widening project may be needed in the future. ;-) -Alex

Ryan B.

Sweet update, Alex.  I can't wait to see what TDOT has in store for us next!

Haljackey

I spy with my little eye... A map! 
-I nearly missed it!  The thumbnail is so tiny!

I took at look at the map after I viewed the update, and a I gotta say, the map really shows the routes in your city in great detail!  It really put the icing on the cake, even though it should have been the first thing I viewed (hence not the icing :P). 

Anyways, I'm getting a little carried away so I'll just say this:  amazing update Alex!   :thumbsup:

Best,
-Haljackey

allan_kuan1992

I see... things have improved... then again to have that really long overpass actually is unrealistic altogether... i was expecting more of an below-grade cut with underpasses to cross the rail and road as that seems to be more cheaper than using a long overpass. But I dunno.

EDIT:

Yeah, there's room for a below-grade cut there... Besides there's no development that's really beside the freeway right now...

- Allan Kuan

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

very great update Alex  :thumbsup:
It's a really pleasant city, and I would like to live there  &apls &apls
great use of RHW and FAR :thumbsup:
Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

CommodoreTech

Highly impressive.
I love all the traffic and transport renovating. Very much like my own town, constantly re-configuring traffic, lol!
-Ben-

south park

great update tarkus , your city is just sweet , can't wait to see more !! &apls :thumbsup:

vincent
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

bat

These new pictures of the 41th update are looking beautiful!
Lenox is a nice city... :thumbsup:

Pat

Alex love this newest update here wow!!! The ariel is soo breath taking and EL-RHW is looking great....  :thumbsup:

that bites that TDOT is not to happy about the freeway... Either way I know and I trust TDOT wont let us down at all, after all we depend on them to get from point A to point B...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

You have created some breathtaking intersections in Lenox Valley, Alex. Honestly, some are ones I'd avoid if possible! :D The Hwy. 51 and Main St./Railroad St. complex in the fourth photo looks treacherous, although may not be as bad as it looks. I'm wondering about the purpose for that short stretch of one-way by the railroad. I'm certainly no transport guru, though, so I'm sure you TDOT has good reasons for the layout. In fact, as I lay out a new region now, I often ask myself what Alex would do here or there! $%Grinno$%

The neighborhoods look good as do the commercial areas and industrial park. It's always a pleasure to study another of your transport projects!

Joan

nerdly_dood

Nice update! I agree with Jmouse that some intersections should be avoided ;D
and also with J-Dub that the avenue in your commercial district would be better off with a center turn lane.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

woodb3kmaster

Looking great as usual, Alex! Lenox looks like a nice city with plenty of potential for TDOT. And yes, I did succeed in getting the SAM diagonals to work, though I'm still PMing you for clarification.

I look forward to seeing what TDOT does here in Lenox!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

sim-al2

Those pencil factories massively overgrew! You must have some serious pencil-pushers in your town!  :P The industrial district roads look a little bumpy, but nothing a little manual leveling can't fix!  ;)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

thundercrack83

You continue to do nothing but impress here, Alex!

Lenox looks just wonderful--I love the new map, it is absolutely magnificent, my friend!

Keep up the good work, and I'll be back to see what you've got for us next!

Dustin