• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The New Frontier - A Realistic, Natural Growth MD

Started by M4346, April 15, 2014, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

M4346

I have decided to plunge into SC4 MD-ing again and, while this is likely to be slow in its development and initially rough around the edges, now is as good a time as any to start showcasing the progress!

The MD will be a 'realistic', natural growth project (i.e. no RCI ploppables other than earned rewards) on a modified version of the NHP Jacksonville Metro map (original available here [ST]) by blade2k5. The region is 10 x 10 large tiles in size.

I use the following terrain and tree controller mods:

• a modified version of CP's Meadowshire Terrain Mod (original here);
  • the original version of the SHK Peg Brigantine HD watermod (here [ST]);
  • the HD riverside beachmod by Marsh (here [ST]);
  • dogfight's Dark Limestone Rock Mod (here) [ST] and
  • The seasonal god mode tree controller by Vortext (here).

The development of the region is progressing quite well, but I'm a little stuck on names and am accordingly putting out a 'call for proposals'!  :)

I'd really appreciate your input in this regard as I'm a little lacking in the creativity department when it comes to naming things (other than dogs, it would seem).

In particular, if you can come up with and submit names for the ten islands in the main river on this map (click for larger resolution):

The context within which they appear are depicted below (click for larger resolution):

They lie in the river delta area and will mostly remain undeveloped conservation / preservation areas.

I'd also appreciate it if you'd submit proposals for the water features A - H (rivers, bays, inlets, lagoons, etc.)

A: The main river
B: A minor tributary
C: A lagoon / bay
D: A bay (and likely location of a naval base)
E: A minor tributary
F: A minor tributary
G: A bay (and likely location for the main harbour / port)
H: A minor tributary with a lagoon

I look forward to your input / proposals and to sharing this journey with you all!

Thanks for reading!

M
New Horizons Productions

warconstruct

Great start! Good choice of terrain and water mod! haste to see some more  :)
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

FrankU

Nice start!

For the naming I would suggest: first choose the language of your people (you do not need to be able to communicate in that language yourself), then take a real map of the world, find a country in which they do speak that language and search for existing historic names. Surely this will give you a hodgepodge of older and newer, more and less appropriate names, but it will give you a better result than thinking of the names yourself. I guess.

vortext

This is a nice start indeed!  :thumbsup:

As for naming, I'm really bad at coming up with names as well so I've got no direct contribution. However, I can point you to some of my favorite name generators:

Donjon, you can set era / location in the first dropdown menu, then select town names in the second.

Mithril and Mages, lots of specific options (e.g. natural features, manmade features, street names) and datasets to choose from.

Fantasy Name Generators, though it has lots of different generators the names tend to be bit of a hit and miss imho.

Also, I'm curious how you're gonna deal with diagonals as you said no RCI ploppables. .  ::)

Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

M4346

Today we visit Bradley, where Europeans first came ashore in this uncharted territory.

The inhabitants, lacking in creativity after months at sea, wanted to call the new settlement "Landing" because, well, it was the site of their landing.

However, after a full day's worth of discussion the residents of the little coastal hamlet settled on Bradley, for two reasons: first, because the meaning of Bradley - "broad clearing" in Old English - was deemed fitting; but also because village elder who took charge of the affairs of the settlement hailed from Bradley, Lincolnshire.

Thus, it was settled, and this is what would eventually become what is now known as Old Town in Bradley:

Click for original full size.

The scene above features the once bustling port of Bradley on Beach Road, which has since been replaced by far bigger and more modern facilities elsewhere in the region and now, alongside the beautiful beaches, fulfils a largely recreational purpose.

Curving out and up from Beach Road is Main Street, lined by the Bradley Town Hall, the St. George Post Office, the local primary school, district hospital and the Bradley Halt (which features the railway station and bus stop):

Main Street viewed from this direction features the St George's Post Office complex (top left) and the Bradley Town Hall (off centre) on the Bradley Square along Strand Street.

Running north-south from Main Street, and parallel with the beach, is Strand Street, which features a number of historic residential and commercial row houses.

Some of these have been demolished to make way for more modern incarnations, but recent developments in the sleepy town have brought a grinding halt to that... but more about that later...

A closer look at the historic buildings lining Strand Street, starting with the six properties occupied by the Royal Strand Hotel on the far left, followed by more recent commercial developments to its right.

These more contemporary commercial properties were, initially, hardly contentious and were welcomed by townsfolk as a sign of renewed interest in the future of Bradley.

Little did they know that within a few years the attention of more colourful investors would be focused on the once tranquil bedroom community, bringing with them Pizza Hut, Chuck-e-Cheese and the cultural aspects accompanying that lifestyle.

These colourful establishments quickly set up shop on Main Road next to the District Hospital and across the road from the Post Office. Townsfolk were surprised when, what they understood would be "commercial establishments serving food", turned out this colourful a scar on their once historic neighbourhood.

Something had to be done, and so the Society for the Restoration and Preservation of Bradley was formed by a group of local busybodies well-to-do citizens...

I hope you enjoyed the update! Thanks for reading! Until next time!  ;D

M

Replies

Quote from: warconstruct on April 16, 2014, 01:25:20 AM
Great start! Good choice of terrain and water mod! haste to see some more  :)

Thank you! And thank you for stopping by in commenting! ()stsfd()

Quote from: FrankU on April 16, 2014, 02:33:54 AM
Nice start!

For the naming I would suggest: first choose the language of your people (you do not need to be able to communicate in that language yourself), then take a real map of the world, find a country in which they do speak that language and search for existing historic names. Surely this will give you a hodgepodge of older and newer, more and less appropriate names, but it will give you a better result than thinking of the names yourself. I guess.

Thank you for the comment and sound advice! The heritage of the area is European (predominantly British, French, German and Dutch) and the major themes in its development is Freedom, Equality and Dignity, but that will become more apparent as we progress.

Thanks for the help in shaping my thoughts and getting greater clarity!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vortext on April 16, 2014, 04:13:10 AM
This is a nice start indeed!  :thumbsup:

As for naming, I'm really bad at coming up with names as well so I've got no direct contribution. However, I can point you to some of my favorite name generators:

Donjon, you can set era / location in the first dropdown menu, then select town names in the second.

Mithril and Mages, lots of specific options (e.g. natural features, manmade features, street names) and datasets to choose from.

Fantasy Name Generators, though it has lots of different generators the names tend to be bit of a hit and miss imho.

Also, I'm curious how you're gonna deal with diagonals as you said no RCI ploppables. .  ::)

Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

Those are all really great and useful, thank you very much!  ;D :thumbsup:

As for diagonals, well, I haven't had much need for them, yet... but you have me thinking - and worried - now!   ??? :P

But I may have a few tricks up my sleeve, I hope...  :D
New Horizons Productions

Kergelen

Nice work with the first settlement. I like the selection of buildings :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

kbieniu7

Nice little town, with everything on its place (even parkings squares, and small parks) and with interesting history. Was pleasure to read it. I like the beach on the backyards, but I wonder, why the Strand Street has the historical tenements just on the one side? :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

art128

Oooh, a new MD made by M.... uhmm

Nice first update, love the picture with the rowhouses on strand street. Neat region too. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

M4346

When we left Bradley earlier a group of well-to-do busybodies had created the Society for the Restoration and Preservation of Bradley to bring back some of the town's old world charm.

As the ringleader of the Society soon discovered, it's not as easy as snapping your fingers and remodelling and entire town. Well, that's not entirely true. It does help to have friends in high places, or in the case of Alberta Ross, to be married to one.

Mrs Ross - affectionately (or rather, behind her back) known as "The Albatross" - is married to a the Congressman representing the District which includes Bradley. The Albatross got her nickname because crossing paths (or swords) with her could be good luck, a burden, or a curse, depending on which way the wind blows or her whims go.

Mrs Ross was quite a burden, and she persisted until she got what she wanted, and in this case, it was in with the old, and out with the new.

The dedication, fierce commitment and undying passion with which Mrs Ross tackled this task partly had to do with her rather conservative outlook on life, but was more because from where she was living in Prestondale, the lights, noise, and sometimes smells, of Chuck-e-Cheese and Pizza Hut (not to mention the unsavoury characters it came packaged with), offended her sensibilities.

Here is the leafy (and exclusive) suburb of Prestondale, bordered to the west by Bradley High and the northern end of Strand Street, and with Newtown to the east (but more about that later).

Click for original

Before we get sidetracked, let's have a quick look at the transformation of the historic old town of Bradley, located on Bradley Square on the intersection of Main and Strand Streets.

Approaching from The Bay in the south and passing through the suburb of Bayview, I'm sure you'll agree that the transformation is quite remarkable:

Click for original (1360 x 3991px)

The efforts - and connections - of Mrs Ross clearly paid off, and with the firm backing (and money) of the Bradley Chamber of Commerce, and a little help from above (more precisely, the backing of the Anglican Church), the face of Bradley Square and the Waterfront changed dramatically.

First on the agenda was the return of the Anglican Church of St George on Main, opposite the St George's Post Office. The church, along with surrounding buildings, burned down a few decades ago and was never rebuilt due to the church's lack of funds. The piece of land was subsequently bought by the aforementioned fast food establishments.

But Mrs Ross soon had her way (as is usually the case) and the Church was back in all its glory!

Click for original

The old St George's Mall running south from the Church and east of Bradley Square was also reestablished. This increased access to Regency Park to the East, which was subsequently also renovated and expanded:

Click for original

The Albatross delighted in visiting her new old Church in the evenings with her husband and dining in the Square afterwards.

Click for original

And it's not difficult to see why, Regency Park and the new Old Bradley Square was really something magical at night:

Click for original

The restoration project could not survive as a charity alone, and it quickly turned into a full scale development project that saw the sleepy hollow turn into a viable and vibrant seaside resort town with high end retail outlets and fine dining.

This was quite apparent during the day, as this aerial view of Bradley Square and Regency Park shows:

Click for original

The new Old Bradley Square boasted the legendary Christmas Market from Mrs Ross's childhood days, and quaint corner shops and pubs added to the general hustle and bustle of the heart of Bradley.

Click for original

The Christmas Market was a popular attraction during the festive season and families spent many a day, and many a night, frequenting the stalls, halls and malls of Bradley Square.

Click for original

Malls? Yes, beyond the inexplicable urge to rhyme, there is in fact a Bradley Square Mall.

If you were wondering what happened to the fast food joints, this will answer that question too. You see, they went underground. Literally.

Many a staircase on and around the Square grant access to the subterranean wonders that lurk below ground, including, but not limited to, the (fast) food court and parking.

The Society thought of everything from corporate buy in to heavenly blessing. Well, everything except parking. One can forgive this minor oversight given that the members of this Society never had to worry about it themselves. That is one of the many conviences that comes with being driven around.

Fortunately, the underground parking proposal also provided an opportunity for the capitalist class to rub even more coins together and the underground mall and fast food court was born.

Here we see one of the two entrances to the parking and the many staircases in the area:

Click for original

Here we also see that the good will and financial backing of big business came at a cost: they needed modern office space, and Mrs Ross's desire for a blast to the past had to be slightly adjusted to accommodate money a diverse set of clientèle.

There was also a visible impact on the Bradley Beach and Waterfront, beyond simply popularising it as a recreation destination.

Click for original

Bradley Beach soon became a popular surfing destination and this attracted all the beautiful people.

Click for original

Bradley Beach and Waterfront is ideally located along Strand Street a stone's throw from Bradley Square and easily accessible via the Bradley Halt Railway Station and Bus Stop.

Click for original

And for those who preferred the quieter life, there was also the Strand Street Market, a popular Sunday morning destination with locals and visitors alike.

Click for original

We finally leave Bradley again heading south over Bayview from Bradley Square and Regency Park, back the way we came.

Click for original size (1366 x 2052px)

Next time our journey takes us north and north west of Bradley, we're we'll discover the broader ramifications of The Albatross and her path of destruction. Okay, it's not as dramatic as it sounds, but bear with me!

Thanks for reading! ()stsfd() Until next time!

M

Replies

Quote from: Kergelen on April 19, 2014, 09:50:25 AM
Nice work with the first settlement. I like the selection of buildings :thumbsup:

Thank you! And thanks for stopping by! ;D

Quote from: kbieniu7 on April 20, 2014, 02:22:47 AM
Nice little town, with everything on its place (even parkings squares, and small parks) and with interesting history. Was pleasure to read it. I like the beach on the backyards, but I wonder, why the Strand Street has the historical tenements just on the one side? :)

Now that is an interesting question... with an equally interesting answer (that I totally just made up)! &idea

Bradley was initially an agrarian settler town and vast tracts of land was allocated to the first families to arrive. The main purpose of this - as we'll see in subsequent updates - was to provide the ever increasing flow of new residents with fresh fruit and vegetables.

However, as Bradley became a new commercial hub, land value skyrocketed and available land became scarce. Many of the old farms around Bradley Square subdivided into smaller properties, and some even densified. But the Bradley Town Council discovered that they could sell of the narrow strip of available land along Strand Street and on the Waterfront for a great sum of money, which they did, and that is how the very dense Strand Street Strip came to be! ;D

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed this week's add on to the story too! :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on April 21, 2014, 08:33:30 AM
Oooh, a new MD made by M.... uhmm

Nice first update, love the picture with the rowhouses on strand street. Neat region too. :)

Thank you! I hope you like the latest installment of row houses and shops too! ;D
New Horizons Productions

Egi

Love it :)
Great stuff.
What is the sidewalk mod that you are using?

Gugu3

M4346

The development of the new old town around Bradley Square - as seen in our previous visit to the town - was soon matched with work in what would become the new new town, or, quite simply, Newtown.

Newtown is, quite literally, an attempt at establishing a new town centre north east of the old one and east of Prestondale - the leafy suburb where Mrs Ross resides.

The area soon became synonymous with the Newtown Blues - not to be confused with the soccer / football club - for the failed attempt that it was in the end, and the disappointment and sorrow that followed.

Click for original

The concept attracted sufficient interest - and investment - but the expansion possibilities soon proved to be limited: Prestondale - home to the aforementioned Albatross - was not going to move (or tolerate any further intrusion into its leafy haven).

Newtown was also on the wrong side of the railway tracks. Literally. The railway hemmed it in and limited road access, soon decreasing its foot traffic and attractiveness.

Nonetheless, it became the home of jazz, big band and swing which attracted a diverse crowd to the area at night.

Click for original

The Meyer's Park and Pond - a local bird sanctuary east of Newtown - also made expansion possibilities very difficult.

Apart from ornithologists, birdwatchers and amphibian enthusiasts, Meyer's Park was not particularly loved by locals. But, it was forced upon Bradley due to it being the home of an endemic toad species and the similarly endemic heron species that fed on said toads. Thus, to protect and preserve these two icons of Bradley, the pond was declared a protected area.

Click for original

In the end Newtown was limited to the area between Newtown Junction - the circle in Prestondale Road, which runs east-west north of Newtown, Meyer's Park, the railway and Prestondale.

Alternative options had to be explored, and they were. But, more about that next time!

Replies

Quote from: Egi on April 22, 2014, 08:51:26 AM
Love it :)
Great stuff.
What is the sidewalk mod that you are using?

It is the SMP Sandstone Sidewalk Replacement Mod. I PMed you the details.  ;D Thanks for your comment and feedback!  :thumbsup: ()stsfd()

Quote from: Gugu3 on April 23, 2014, 01:46:59 AM
Nice! &apls

Thank you! And thanks for stopping by!  ()stsfd()

Thanks for reading and your continued support! Until next time!

M
New Horizons Productions

noahclem

Glad to see you started an MD! This is awesome work  &apls  You do a fantastic job with the storyline and have really done some nice city building.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes :)

art128

The Christmas market was really nice. Newtown look like a cool place to live in.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

cmdp123789

This is spectacular!  &apls It truly resembles a small American town. Great job so far!!

vester

Great update.

... and good to see one of my trains running... :)

vortext

Nice updates indeed, great little town you got going!  :D  :thumbsup:

As Arthur said the market is nicely done, snugly tucked in between development. The pond is also nice, though it could've done with an actual heron;)

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Flatron

kbieniu7

The restoration from previous update seems to be an excellent miracle, but would it be possible in real life? :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!