• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Well, there are lots of crazy interchanges, like the Sonnborner Kreuz in Wuppertal - probably the most crazy one in Germany. It cuts the town into two halfs, and when they built it in the late 1960's, they tore down 65 buildings, including the church, and resettled more than 2000 residents. The Wupper river had to be lowered over a distance of almost 2 km, the Wuppertal Schwebebahn had to be raised by 2 meters over a lenght of almost 500 meters, and the complety city infrastructure (streets, pipes, cables) had to be rebuilt. For some relations, you have to do weird turns, even leave the Autobahn and use several intersections with traffic lights to get onto the desired onramp again. The construction was resposible for 50% of the overall costs of the complete autobahn A46 in Wuppertal.

Andreas

wes.janson

Quote from: Leeway on March 03, 2009, 01:51:59 PM
You think that's bad, take a look at spaghetti junction on the M6 near Birmingham. Driver's have got completly lose, including me.

Leeway.

I think Neil Gaimen and Terry Prachett allude to the M6 being built in accordance to some mark of the beast in 'Good Omens'.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

LE0

Are any of these requests possible to make please?  $%Grinno$%

A. Smooth curves for OWR
B. 45 curve for Elevated Road, Ave, and OWR
C. Diagonal T On-SLope pices
D. FAR Intersections

&Thk/(
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Dino007

Quote from: mrtnrln on March 03, 2009, 08:16:13 AM
You mean this design?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Turborotonde.svg/437px-Turborotonde.svg.png
I've seen several of those roundabouts nearby my home, although some of them have a quite chaotic set-up(I haven no Google Maps picture of one of those, because it looks like the sattelite pictures aren't updated for at least 2 years  :P)

Still it is an good idea for the next NAM.

Best,
Maarten

Yes, this is what I mean.
TIGR

allan_kuan1992

For some time now I've had the desire of being able to drive El-Rail across rivers and also send ships down the same route.

However, that's not entirely possible to do right now. For one, the El-Rail elevated bridge is somewhat low for ferries, especially at low ground levels. Even worse, the pillars aren't widely spaced apart and it requires almost exact precision just to get under if you can.

Therefore, I'm wondering if someone can take the task of making a bridge for El-Rail that would meet these requirements and let me do UDI with ease. =) This may involve two options:

- conversion of High-El-Rail to draggable technology and create a bridge with the new height.
- employ something similar to the raised road bridge and have a small section at the bridge approaches to raise the elevated rail.

As well, rail bridges tend to be good obstacles too, although the Rail FLUPs have mitigated that issue somewhat. Which also reminds me... if someone can develop GLR FLUPs that would also be a good solution to the situation that we have right now.

Thanks,

- Allan Kuan

z

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on March 03, 2009, 10:55:53 PM
As well, rail bridges tend to be good obstacles too, although the Rail FLUPs have mitigated that issue somewhat.

Rail FLUPS?  Did I miss something?  ???

allan_kuan1992

or... as it's usually called... underground rail puzzle pieses xD

Technically it's still a FLUP-type network even though it predated the road FLUPs by 6 or so months.

- Allan Kuan

z

Actually, underground rail has been around a lot longer than that - at least a couple of years.  But it's never been able to go under water... until now.  ;D  Watch for the ESURE package, coming to this NAM board very soon.

As for GLR FLUPS, there's already a GLR-to-subway transition piece, so that should really be all you need.

Diggis

Quote from: wes.janson on March 03, 2009, 02:19:44 PM
I think Neil Gaimen and Terry Prachett allude to the M6 being built in accordance to some mark of the beast in 'Good Omens'.

Aye, although both the demon and the angel claim credit for it I think.  :D

choco

allan: im currently working on addressing those issues.....

since most of my monorail network stuff is done, im working on ELR/GLR now.  my threads a cluttered mess, but there's pics of most of them in there.....

Haljackey

Quote from: LE0 on March 03, 2009, 02:31:31 PM

A. Smooth curves for OWR
B. 45 curve for Elevated Road, Ave, and OWR
C. Diagonal T On-SLope pices
D. FAR Intersections

&Thk/(

I agree with the first two.  If these were made, the connectivity of the NAM would greatly improve, because we have raised rail curves but not curves for any raised road networks.  Avenue could be the exception since it is two tiles.  As for OWR smooth curves, we have road and avenue, so I don't see why not have OWR as well!  :P

Your other requests are useful, but I don't think they are as "urgent" as others.

Best,
-Haljackey

allan_kuan1992

Hmm... i doubt that the transition is UDI-able... which is why I'm requesting that something be tried for my particular situation... who knows... it might help many others too.

- Allan Kuan

Swamper77

The transition lots that convert traffic to subways are indeed not UDI-able. The player's vehicle will disappear upon entering the lot or reaching the end away from the connecting network.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

andreharv

Just a status update.

Pathing is now 50% complete!  This interchange may be out of the oven by as early as the end of the week.  Stay tuned...

allan_kuan1992

yay... although the other half is a complete mess... =O

- Allan Kuan

Sdragon3000

Hey guys,

So far, so good.  I am finally getting the hang of the GLR System.  My city has around 80,000...hehe, and I am replacing the whole system with GLR.  One thing I did notice, tho, was that only a coulple of the GRL Stattions have lights, and not many.  I would like to see a station or stations that are well lit!  I mean, wouldn't that be better for safety, etc.?   If there is someone up to the challange, that would be great!   (I would show part of my city, but I there is no way I see to upload a pic...)

TTFN  :satisfied:

z

Which GLR stations are you using or have you tried?

Sdragon3000

Quote from: z on March 09, 2009, 12:44:49 PM
Which GLR stations are you using or have you tried?

Hi, thanks for asking.  I started with shmails GRL.  But the trains went up an invisible hill when entering the station, lol. So..I switched to the SFBT Tram Mod.  It got confusing with red, green, etc, and they do not light up.  I next got the Cogeo Semi transparent set.  They look very industrial-like, but, no lights.  I know, I keep looking for the "right" look for my city.  I also got the cercanias, SCS, and  tonkso sets.  Only those 2 have a couple of light on them.

So you see...I think they all look neat, and I don't mind mixing and matching.  If I knew what I was doing, I would add lights myself, lol.   Does that help?

sithlrd98

Quote from: LE0 on March 03, 2009, 02:31:31 PM
A. Smooth curves for OWR
&Thk/(

I also would love to see this , as I have asked around and was told that if someone made the textures , everything else is copy/paste. I have tried to do the texture , but since I am not that good (matching or making curves ), I have hit a brick wall! It would definitely make off-ramps more realistic!

On a side note , since so many projects are constantly going on , and many people are all doing something different , is there a way for those of us who are not directly associated with the NAM team and are dabbling in the NAM , RAM etc. to know if anyone else is doing the same as others? That way , we would know if anyone else was doing the same thing? I know that this is NAM Development , but it would be useful to have a "roster" or something.

Jayson

z

Quote from: Sdragon3000 on March 09, 2009, 12:54:18 PM
So you see...I think they all look neat, and I don't mind mixing and matching.  If I knew what I was doing, I would add lights myself, lol.   Does that help?

Yes, it does.  I'm considering adding street lights as an option for RTMT stations, and so I need to know if that's something that people really want.