• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwatterud

Kinda agree with SA there, but this is a great development in any case. 

Andreas

Well, maybe Kenworth can whip up some realistic tram catenaries - so far, I'm only recycling frogface's old ones. The SFBT rail catenaries won't really fit here, since they are too massive for a tram line.
Andreas

bwatterud

I personally think that the SFBT cantenaries with the pole in the center would look really good on a tram line, but then again, I could be wrong.  It's happened before.   :D

CasperVg

Those catenaries looks awesome!
I'm busy translating names of the Puzzlepieces from the NAM into Dutch atm. Boring work  /wrrd%&
Is it okay if do not use 'puzzlepiece' (puzzelstuk) in each name, it's very hard to translate that sometimes

EDIT: Do I need to translate this:
"To me, pavement is a wonderful thing - the hard smooth surface, the extreme heat on a summers day. But it can be costly to create and maintain. If you are looking to save a few simoleons you might consider <a href="#link_id#game.tool_plop_network(network_tool_types.DIRT_ROAD)">ANT Network</a> as an alternative. There's something special about the bumpy ride and billows of dust that only an unpaved path can provide. And what a boon to our local car wash owners!"

Was this a suggestory message that the Traffic Advisor would give when Dirt Road would've been implemented by Maxis or so?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Shadow Assassin

Well, seeing as it refers to the Dirt Road network, rather than the new purpose we've given the ANT... I don't think it needs to be translated.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

CasperVg

Whew, I just finished it.

I translated both NetworkAddonMod_locale_english.dat and RuralHighwayMod_locale_english.dat.
I renamed the finished ones to
z_NetworkAddonMod_locale_Dutch.dat and z_RuralHighwayMod_locale_Dutch.dat; this should make them override the default locale.dat's, thus showing the translation, right?

Every entry in both files was translated, except ^^. Some are really fluent Dutch, others lack fluency, because some terms are hard to translate (draggable & overpass, eg.)

EDIT: It works.

EDIT2: Added .zip with the translation. Depends on you what will happen to it
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Tarkus

caspervg, thank you so much for the translation!   :thumbsup:  I'm sure the Dutch users will appreciate it. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Andreas

This is great news! Having translated the whole NAM myself, I know how tedious the work is - and you started from nothing, while I was able to do it gradually over the time.
Andreas

Meastro444

thank you casper, much appreciated, although i reinstallend and went to the Englisch version of the game ;)
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

schm0

Quick question to the NAM team... Everyone is well aware of the unfortunate glitch that results in any on-slope puzzle piece to end up shaded incorrectly. It has been a personal frustration of my own for quite some time.

I've thought about it and was wondering. Is there any way to hack the model file so that you can have the pictures from two seperate models merged into one?

For instance, if we know the precise color modulation that the shadow function in SC4 produces, we can adjust the textures accordingly to produce and end-result that looks identical to the lighted sides. Then, you hack that color-modded piece in with the other pieces to give the whole model an identical texture when placed on the slope. Does that make sense?
schm0

Jonathan

Different models for different rotations?
One normal colour one a brighter texture?
It is possible although it would require at least twice the amount of puzzle pieces.
It's a good idea.

schm0

Quote from: Warrior on January 20, 2008, 02:25:36 PM
Different models for different rotations?
One normal colour one a brighter texture?
It is possible although it would require at least twice the amount of puzzle pieces.
It's a good idea.

Not an entire set of two separate puzzle pieces. I'm talking about dissecting and reassembling the models so that there are two individual renderings in one puzzle set piece. So, for example, you have one puzzle piece for On-Slope Roads. All the various models that reflect normal light (i.e. not shadowed) stay the same. So, lets say that the north, east and south-facing puzzle pieces all appear normal in SC4. The west-facing puzzle piece is shadowed. The shadowed piece is extracted and replaced with the lighter textured model so that the whole set appears non-affected. Does that make sense?
schm0

Jonathan

Yes that does now,
I can not explain it fully as I don't have the time.
There is one main RUL section which defines everything about the puzzle piece. That section defines it without being rotated.
The other rotations are seperate puzzle piece RULs which copy the RUL section I said above but rotate it however many 90 deg is required. (rotate 90 = 1, rotate 180 (90x2) = 2, rotate 270 (90x3) = 3)
Therefore it should be possible to refer different models to different rotations but the models would have to be rotated manually, which shouldn't be a problem.
In other words it's possible and probably hasn't been done because noone has made lighter textures.

vester

Have been thinking of making some tram catenaries myself, I just miss some good pictures of it.
Well Serkanner have provide me some, but could use some more pictures.

schm0

Quote from: Warrior on January 21, 2008, 09:20:58 AM
Yes that does now,
I can not explain it fully as I don't have the time.
There is one main RUL section which defines everything about the puzzle piece. That section defines it without being rotated.
The other rotations are seperate puzzle piece RULs which copy the RUL section I said above but rotate it however many 90 deg is required. (rotate 90 = 1, rotate 180 (90x2) = 2, rotate 270 (90x3) = 3)
Therefore it should be possible to refer different models to different rotations but the models would have to be rotated manually, which shouldn't be a problem.
In other words it's possible and probably hasn't been done because noone has made lighter textures.

Well, all we need for sure is a general idea of how the shadowing affects the color of the texture. It should be a simple formula, only moving the RGB values a bit towards the dark end of the spectrum... I could fiddle around with a picture of the lighted ramp piece to get a good guess of what needs to be done to the values to make it appear shaded.

Then, all we need to do is shift the original textures the opposite way to figure out what they need to be pre-render.
schm0

flame1396

Yeah but the puzzle pieces all show it, visible only on 2 rotations. So lightening it would cause a problem on the other end... why not just remove the shadows and see if that changes something - I'd be willing to give up the shadows...
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

Jonathan

After actually looking in game haveing different textures would not work as if you rotate the camera the pieces that were previously fine now have that glitch.

Andreas

Quote from: vester on January 21, 2008, 09:30:59 AM
Have been thinking of making some tram catenaries myself, I just miss some good pictures of it.
Well Serkanner have provide me some, but could use some more pictures.

I will forward your request to SimForum - there are quite a few tram nuts there. ;)
Andreas

Heblem

Hope is not a problem to announce this new mod i've made...

The picture explains it  ;)