• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Request: Passenger Rail Yard

Started by PercivalFailed, July 22, 2015, 05:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PercivalFailed

Outside of peak service (usually called rush hour) where passenger load isn't at maximum, the extra cars and locomotives that aren't required to handle the base service are stored in train yards. Sometimes these have a maintenance facility attached.

I've seen a number of freight rail yards available, but so far the only thing close to a passenger yard I've seen is from SBFT which are for (I believe) German passenger trains.

What I want is either one of two things

1) A decently sized plopable lot with a set of tracks with a good number of trains stored on these tracks. (Preferably with a few empty tracks for realism.) The lot should have lead tracks that can connect to the rail system. If possible: a) the trains depicted should use whatever model is currently used thereby opening up the lot for multiple mods and b) most of the trains should disappear during rush hours and reappear at other times. (Doesn't the maxis freight train station do something similar with cargo containers?)

or

2) a series of on-the-track plopable lots that have passenger trains of different lengths that can be plopped onto passenger yards built out of tracks in-game. Again, if possible, these trains should use whatever model is being used by the game

Thanks

belfastsocrates

Have you any experience of lot editing? You can create one yourself if you have the time to do so in Lot Editor, it's not too difficult and allows you to customise the lot for your own needs.

I created one, see image below;

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

PercivalFailed

Unfortunately, as of right now, I have no experience with the lot editor whatsoever.

mgb204

That's some great lotting there, how did you get those trains as props and what are you using for the engine sheds here? Thinking about this, perhaps I can BAT something more British, I grew up near such a facility and remember the big rectangular sheds with yellow/black striped doors, very basic things to BAT methinks. I can find an image of one anywhere, not even the old models they used to sell for model railroads, my god has Hornby stuff got stupid-expensive these days!

:edit: Best I can find, but along these lines I was thinking:

eggman121

Quote from: belfastsocrates on July 23, 2015, 01:53:53 AM
Have you any experience of lot editing? You can create one yourself if you have the time to do so in Lot Editor, it's not too difficult and allows you to customise the lot for your own needs.

I created one, see image below;

Wow that is amazing  :thumbsup:. Have you thought about putting it on the LEX? I have tried making rail yards but I use the RRW and for that I am having to make some base textures.

See this thread: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=16787.msg489684#msg489684

Oh and because you have delighted me so much. +1 for your effort  ;D

-eggman121

belfastsocrates

Thank you very much! :)

I've never considered uploading anything, never felt people would be too interested and I've no idea how to compile a list of props and textures used to add as dependencies. I'm actually going to revise that passenger rail yard to change the ground texture and play about with some new props I've discovered like the truck wash, which could act as a train wash possibly. Robin (mbg204) is also thinking of creating a couple of things for a new yard as well which I'll incorporate.

An upload is something I'd consider after all those changes, I'd probably like to have a 'rail expert' look over it as I wouldn't want to upload something unrealistic in terms of signals or general layout.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Simcoug

Quote from: eggman121 on July 23, 2015, 02:24:11 PM
Wow that is amazing  :thumbsup:. Have you thought about putting it on the LEX? I have tried making rail yards but I use the RRW and for that I am having to make some base textures.

I was really excited when you first shared those textures... have you made any progress on that front?  With RHW still in it's early stages, some new overlay textures would be great for lotting. 

eggman121

Quote from: belfastsocrates on July 24, 2015, 05:15:31 AM
Thank you very much! :)

Your most welcome  ;)

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Simcoug on July 24, 2015, 05:27:26 AM
I was really excited when you first shared those textures... have you made any progress on that front?  With RRW still in it's early stages, some new overlay textures would be great for lotting. 

Well I have been working on the textures but I have not made a complete set yet. The RRW is still in its early stages but I have plans for the eventual takeover of the Maxis Rail network  ;)

-eggman121