• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Semi-express T-Intersection

Started by Lach77, February 25, 2011, 04:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lach77

Ok I know the picture isn't that great but has anyone tried making an intersection like this? Basically the non-terminating direction opposite the ending road has a median strip that seperates it from traffic moving into and out of the T intersection. This allows 1 direction of traffic to always move unimpeded.
As you can see in the picture traffic moving on the right (North) seperates into a median strip (black strip) to turn left (which is signalled) but to travel straight there is no signal and left-turning traffic from the terminating road will merge into the traffic going "North".

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7307/tintersection.jpg

noahclem

Interesting concept... I've not seen that type of intersection around here but it could be useful.

Is this intended for highways or roads in a built-up area? You could do something fairly similar to this with existing RHW pieces if space isn't a big issue. The biggest thing you're missing for a road version with current material is splitters, ie avenue-to-OWR2+ARD3. Alternately, a setup like that could be created if the right TuLEP pieces were made. Part of the problem here is your lane-widths--the blue path for instance has two left turn lanes but only one lane for them to turn on to.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to SC4D  :thumbsup:

Lach77

Thanks for the reply

As I understand this type of intersection would be used on normal (non-highway) roads. It still has some signals but just allows uninteruppted flow for one direction. I would say that if TuLEP/puzzel pieces were made this could be done using perhaps 3 tiles to allow for the extra median strip and dedicated turning lane

I live in Sydney, Aus and I found an example of this type of intersection on Victoria Road (keep in mind we drive on the left side). I found it on Google Earth and saved a snapshot which I've uploaded here. So yes these intersections do exist in the real world  :)

Oh and yes I realised my pathing is incorrect but I'm more interested in the concept as realistically you could have either 1 or 2 lanes turning left at the T-intersection depending on traffic volume and the size of the intersecton.
http://img36.imageshack.us/i/tintersection2.jpg

RippleJet

Quote from: noahclem on February 25, 2011, 04:38:18 AM
I've not seen that type of intersection around here

Can't say I've seen it in Finland either...
However, my brother lives north of Stockholm, and I've often driven through these two intersections,
which aren't that far from Lacc77's sketch (no double lanes, only single lanes):

MandelSoft

You got your tags wrong. This is the actual image:

"
The only way I can thin of this can be achieved is using a combination of RHW (especially the splitters) and OWR (One Way Road).

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Lach77

Quote from: mrtnrln on February 25, 2011, 06:10:46 AM
You got your tags wrong. This is the actual image:

"
The only way I can thin of this can be achieved is using a combination of RHW (especially the splitters) and OWR (One Way Road).

Best,
Maarten

Hey thanks. I'm not having much success with trying to upload photos.  In that picture you tagged the red circles highlight where the traffic lights are which are otherwise difficult to spot. That particular intersection is at Rhodes on Centennary Drive which is one of the larger arteries in Sydney. But yeah it doesn't seem to be a particuarly common type of intersection. Intersections for me are definately one of the the biggest problems in a large city with high congestion especially when the more wealthy residents refuse to catch the train.(Im using NAM high simulator)

MandelSoft

This is how far I got recreating this intersection:

Lach77

Good try. But one question. Do the sims actually use the bypass you created or do they get stuck at the intersection? Without a dedicated turning lane my assumption is that they may still use the intersection

Flatron

This kind of intersection is very common here in Germany, especially at points where two major roads that are not actually highways or "crossingfree" federal roads meet each other in a kind of interchange that allows leftturns ( those are much cheaper than real interchanges because you only have to build one ramp.

MandelSoft

Quote from: Lach77 on February 25, 2011, 06:58:50 AM
Good try. But one question. Do the sims actually use the bypass you created or do they get stuck at the intersection? Without a dedicated turning lane my assumption is that they may still use the intersection
They would use it, but you'll see automata using right turns (in your case left turns) at the intersections too (since automata is dumb). But the simulator would prefer the bypass...

Shadow Assassin

That's called a gullwing intersection, by the way.

It should be fairly easy to create, just needs an exit TuLEP on the other side (flipped version of the type A entrance), and an intersection TuLEP with triangular markings on it or something similar.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Lach77

Been thinking about this a bit more and these intersections do also exist with both of the non-terminating directions being express. All it requires is an overpass/underpass for the innerlane of the T intersection to cross over the intersection without being stopped by traffic moving into and out of the outer lane. I actually tried it with the existing puzzel pieces and one way roads. It looks ugly (simply because the existing puzzel pieces aren't ideal for this) but it works. I confess I don't know much about modding tools but I wonder if this could be created by making an entire intersection piece like the elevated highway over avenue roundabout.

travismking

legoman786

I know of another intersection like that to control one of the main entrances to a rather busy mall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=park+place+tucson+az&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.897228,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=park+place+tucson+az&hnear=Park+Place,+5870+E+Broadway+Blvd,+Tucson,+Arizona+85711&ll=32.217991,-110.857753&spn=0.003007,0.004128&t=h&z=19

Note 2 things: 1) It's in the USA, and 2) It's surrounded by burbs.

I used to live in this area, so I am quite familiar with it. The N/S avenue... Ave-6... is one of the busiest arterial roads that Tucson has to offer.