• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Using the LE

Started by M4346, February 12, 2007, 08:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Okay, this is not as much a "how to" question, as I am getting the hang of the LE, but rather a question relating to the way LOTs work... if that makes sense.

Anyway, let me explain. I'm modifying LOTs created by other people, mainly just adding the sandstone base texture, and it's going great, or at least I think it is. :P

I want to know what I should do with regards to saving them, because it creates a duplicate file in my plugins folder. Will SC4 then load both LOTs or the one that loads last? Say I put them in "/Plugins/zzz_Custom Lots" will that work?  ()what()

Thanks! And I'm sorry if it's a common-sensical question. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Serkanner

It depends on wether you use "save" or "save as" ... when using save the original file will be overwritten and when using "save as" a new file will be created for the lot ... and SC$ will load both.

M4346

I only "save" and it still creates the file in my Plugins folder without overwriting the original... with all files, i.e. rewards, landmarks, residential, commercial, etc. I have now moved them into the zzz_Custom Lots folder and will see how it loads later, I'm not finished in the LE yet.

And this brings me to another question, if I save a reward file and it creates a new LOT file, are the reward conditions lost and it becomes a standard ploppable?  ()what()

Thanks Serkanner!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions

callagrafx

LE is a pain in that it will read from subfolders but ONLY write to the plugins root folder....your best bet is to have 2 sets of plugins...one that is organised for your gameplay, the other that is for LE development, where they are all "loose" inside the plugins folder.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

M4346

Quote from: callagrafx on February 12, 2007, 09:42:36 AM
LE is a pain in that it will read from subfolders but ONLY write to the plugins root folder....your best bet is to have 2 sets of plugins...one that is organised for your gameplay, the other that is for LE development, where they are all "loose" inside the plugins folder.

Ah, thank you  very much. I was wondering about that...  :thumbsup:

I also noticed that LE creates a "smaller" sized LOT than the original in most cases (in terms of Kb). Is a lot of the original data lost, or is it purely my modifications to the LOT that is reflected?

What I mean by that is, do the modification of a LOT alter its in-game properties (okay, that doesn't sound right...), I don't know how to put it, but amongst other things the reward conditions and the "type" of lot, or does the reader do that?

Sorry for too many questions, but I'm obviously new at this.  :P
New Horizons Productions

Serkanner

The way the lot acts in the game is set by the "desc" file of the item and not the "lot" file. What we often do is combining the data of the lot and the desc file into one file ( this means in Ilive's reader we copy/paste the building examplar from the desc file to the lot file ).

The values of the lot ( the way it behaves ingame ) can not be changed in LE but in either Ilive's reader ... or in SC4Tool, which is more user friendly ( but has no option to combine the lot and desc file ).

dedgren

I'm working on a LE tutorial that will go through this sort of stuff in the usual excruciating detail (I'm editing it down as this is written from about 90 pics).  It should be up in my MD, Three Rivers Region, later today.  I'll post a comment here when that happens.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

M4346

Thanks David!  ;D I'll be watching out for that.  :)

And thanks for your response Serkanner, yet again.  :thumbsup:

Now, just to clarify:

Let's say that I modify the base textures of CSX Mansion Audley End, the original has a DAT and a LOT file and it is a reward.

The modified LOT file is 45kb and the modified one is 35kb, does this mean that the DESC file has been lost in the modification, and if yes, what use is this new LOT to me?  ()what() Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :)
New Horizons Productions

Serkanner

Looking forward to the tutorial David ... nobody can have too much knowledge and I am sure you will present us all with a thoroughness never seen before  ;D

Serkanner

Quote from: M4346 on February 12, 2007, 10:19:01 AM
Thanks David!  ;D I'll be watching out for that.  :)

And thanks for your response Serkanner, yet again.  :thumbsup:

Now, just to clarify:

Let's say that I modify the base textures of CSX Mansion Audley End, the original has a DAT and a LOT file and it is a reward.

The modified LOT file is 45kb and the modified one is 35kb, does this mean that the DESC file has been lost in the modification, and if yes, what use is this new LOT to me?  ()what() Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :)

You can change the lot and the DESC file will not be worthless, but if you change the "building" of the lot and save it then you will need the DESC for the new building ... does this still make sense?

M4346

Quote from: Serkanner on February 12, 2007, 10:22:48 AM
You can change the lot and the DESC file will not be worthless, but if you change the "building" of the lot and save it then you will need the DESC for the new building ... does this still make sense?

Well I think it makes sense, but just to make sure I understand it I'll explain what I'm doing and all that.  :D

I don't change the building, i.e. replace it with another, I mainly modify the base textures of LOT and add a few props here and there but the building remains intact. Except, come to think of it, I have moved a building here and there on the LOT without replacing it with another.

So, if I don't change the building and only modify the textures and the props the DESC file in the original LOT should still work, but does not form part of the new LOT? Am I correct in stating that?

And if I then load the modified LOT last, because it's in a zzz_Folder, it should work like the original but at least look different? Or, if I want to, can I remove the original LOT file / replace it with the modified one?

Thank you Serkanner, I really appreciate it!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions

Serkanner

If you don't touch the main building  ( to which the DESC file is connected ) then you can savely alter the lot, its textures and/or its props. When you save it ( or save as ) a new lot file will be created. If you don't want to use the old one anymore you can also safely delete it or back it up elsewhere. There is no need to put the new file in a 'zz folder', the game can read both lot files without a problem and will designate the same DESC file to both lot files.

When you look at some other downloads you can see the same principle ... the installed folder has one model file ( = the building ), one DESC file ( to define the models behaviour ), one or more lot files. The one DESC file defines all lot files behaviour because the same model is used, combined with the same DESC file of course.

M4346

Thanks, that does explain a lot, but unfortunately I'm having difficulty.  :'(

I'll look into it and get back to you. Thanks again for the information!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions

dedgren

Here's the start of the Lot Editor portion of my tutorial [linkie].  Marius (M4346), I don't think it will answer your question, but I think I know what you're getting at- I'll think on it overnight and if I have any insight I'll post further thoughts here.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax