• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terring's Terrible Lots!!

Started by Terring7, February 13, 2010, 10:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Uhg, getting everything up and running under win7 is gonna be a hassle indeed.  %wrd

Here's a pink elephant performing its illustrous good luck dance!  &dance   :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Terring7

For personal reasons I have to put the development of Barsoom Project on hold for a while. Maybe I'll be back somewhere in May. We'll see...
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Pioneer

Hello Terring,

Just wanting to know if you're still quietly developing this.

Thanks

Terring7

I've been stuck with a crappy laptop for the last year, worthless to do even the simplest tasks, let alone running a game. So no development for now. After all, If I was busy on this project all that time, I'd had been already released a couple of updates. And the lack of job doesn't make the things easier...
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Terring7

I never liked empty promises and hollow teasers, so I hope this post is not one of them. Against all odd, I'll be back before 1/1/2016. Don't hold your breath, but don't lose your hopes either.
The Choice is Ours
---

FrankU

Hi Terring,

It would be nice to see you back up and running again!

Terring7

I have some good news. My previous PC, in which I used to make my lots, is alive and kicking! My uncle repaired the old PC and he's going to give it back to me as soon as it's 100% fully repaired. I don't know when (or if) I'll get it, but I promise I'll be back to work ASAP. And I'm happy for that, because I have plenty of new ideas, such as thorium reactors, agricultural cloning plants, genetic smelters, trade depots with small vertiports for flying freight transporters, robotic industrial plants, cranes and spaceports that utilizes antigravity engines, central quantum computers, green roofs, mine operations that uses microbes instead of boreholes, and cybernetic enhancement devices, all using 100% futuristic dependency packs such as NH Props V1 1 and METMW: Prop Pack Beta.
And I can't wait to send this crappy laptop back to the fires of Hell! ()flamdev()
The Choice is Ours
---

vinlabsc3k

Good news Elias!! &hlp
I hope you still have the strength and the will to complete your "Cities of Tomorrow" Mod and Barsoom Project!! :thumbsup:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Terring7

If you have the will you'll have the strength, and I'm all about will! The "Cities of Tomorrow" mod (nice name, I think I'll use it) will be back. I hope soon...
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

Some of you might have noticed that I'm finally back. I've got a new PC (A HP Slimline with Windows 10) back on May 2018, I got a new digital copy of Simcity 4 on June from GOG.com and after more than 4 years I can finally play my favorite game, build my cities and make my own lots. This means that Barsoom Project will be back on track. But hold your horses. I don't have the free time I used to have back in 2014 (the last time I played Simcity) because of my job. I'm translating from English to Greek and adding subtitles to various episodes of Discovery Network series, such as How The Universe Works and NASA's Unexplained Files. A lot of work, but still not a lot of income. Lack of time means that Barsoom Project is not going to be completed anytime soon. But that doesn't stop me from making some progress and some experiments. And today, after 2 years since my last post (the previous PC, although repaired, was still crappy), I'll be showing you a personal project that has been in my head since the very beginning of Barsoom Project back in 2010.

One thing I really wanna do is to make all SimMars buildings available in as many sizes and stages as possible. All the SimMars buildings will have a large variety of lots in different shapes and sizes, from 1X1 to 6X6 (depending on the size of the building itself). The result will be something like this...

The above lots are just 4 of the 36 place holders I've made for this building, just to give you an idea. In the final form they'll not be empty and only green. There will be many things, such as trees, lakes, underground parking garages, benches, fountains, launch pads, trail paths etc.

Giving all SimMars buildings such a large variety of sizes and shapes will give you more flexibility while zoning and developing. You can have the buildings very close to each other, making unbearably dense areas, or give them plenty of personal space, making ridiculously spare areas. You can finally make your zones as large or as small as you want, without worrying that you'll get an empty space because some specific buildings will be constructed only on specifically sized and shapes zones. All SimMars buildings available in as many sizes and stages as possible, so no matter the size and the shape, you'll always get something.

You can also get some of the buildings sooner than ever. The larger the lot is, the smaller will be the stage in which the building will be constructed. By giving larger lots to larger buildings, it will be possible to have apartment buildings and skyscrapers even in low density zones. And because the largest lot for a grown-able building is 6X6, be prepared for really exotic results! For instance, the above slim black building will be built in all commercial zones, from light to heavy density, from stage 8 to stage 1 to stage 8. I'm not kidding!

All the above will make the game a bit more interesting and challenging. It might make you want to take some more control and decide where should be build what, instead of just zone and let the game do the rest. So, how the future will be like? Overly dense? Overly spare? Something between? That's up to you. Lay a large low density commercial zone and you'll get a couple of small skyscrapers. Lay a large heavy density commercial zone and you'll get a lot of small skyscrapers. Go crazy. It's your city.

It will also be a nice opportunity to experiment with city blocks. Here is something that I've always wanted to build. 18X18 city blocks, for 8 6X6 zones, with a large park in the middle. Something like this...

Now that's the commercial districts I've always wanna have. Skyscrapers with enough open space in between them to let them breath. Same with the industries and the residential buildings.

The Choice is Ours
---

Wiimeiser

SimMars buildings would be nice to have. Modern Day gets boring after a while, so sci-fi and even fantasy would be nice. Heck, I'd like if the SimMars roads to become a SAM texture (Sam15?), though we also need sand roads and tar sealed streets that have lines...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Terring7

Want something simple and still nice to fill some gaps? Want to build a park but you can't decide between a plaza and a green park with trail paths? Just want some extra variety?  If the answer if yes, I hope my personal project will be something you'll like. This is a small set of parks I named "Plaza Parks". The aim here is to make a plaza-park hybrid to fit in as many cases as possible, something simple that can fill some empty spaces with something nice, while using as less dependencies as possible in order to make my project easily accessible for as many people as possible. It's not ready yet. More pieces are coming soon, so ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

Those 12 pieces are what I've made so far.

A closer look.

Even with those 12 pieces I can make many kind of parks with plenty of combinations.

What do you think? :)
The Choice is Ours
---

PaPa-J

These are really nice indeed. That last image, it's a re-lot isn't it?
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Terring7

Thanks. The last image is not a relot. Just a landmark surrounded by my parks.

As you can see some posts above, you can change the stage a building will be growing by changing the size of it's lot. The bigger the building, the higher the stage. The larger the lot, the lower the stage. So it's possible to get apartment buildings by laying low density residential zones. At least in theory, right? WRONG! Having a low density neighborhood with apartment buildings instead of single houses is possible in both theory and practice.

For experimentation and just for the heck of it, I took some SimMars apartment buildings (and a cool building made by Somy) and gave them a 6x6 base in decrease their stage as much a possible. This is how a low density city can look like. Remember that the lots are just for experimentation, so no details for now. I olny put some textures and then plant some trees just to give you an idea. Expect more details, like street lights and underground parking spaces, in their final form.

And remember. Low density.

More experiments are coming up.
The Choice is Ours
---

fantozzi

Quote from: Terring7 on April 06, 2019, 05:45:44 AM
What do you think? :)

Imo this is a very practical concept. There are different tree replacement mods which all will make those pieces look different and always fitting with the surroundings. I bet this small pieces would become very popular - a nice way to close the small gaps you'll always get next to metro and bus stations etc.

Terring7

Capital SimCity has a great recreation of Tyrell Corporation separated in 3 parts, so make sure you have all of them. I decided to make my own version for my personal reasons.

Here they are. The original and my version. Can you find which is which?

OK, here is the answer. The original version is the one with the red, empty base.

And my version is the modular one, made by 2 smaller pieces.

I did it for a couple of reasons. First of all, the red base looks awesome in my Martian cities but very irrelevant in my Terran cities. I also didn't like the small grass stripes that appears sometimes.

I also wanted something modular and flexible, so I can fill the base with whatever I want, like skyscrapers or factories, or maybe I want to build it in an hexagonal instead of a square.

Of course I'm not very happy with the white base because it's too empty and clean for such a building. I'll need something more cyberpunk, high-tech and badass for this building. We'll see.

Welcome to the year 2019  ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

PaPa-J

This is really cool!  Great work!
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Terring7

Want to fill some gaps with something simple and nice, but you can't decide between plazas or parks? Now you can have them both as plaza-parks. Plaza-parks is a collection of lots that allows you to build parks and fill gaps at any shape and design you wish. I had this idea when I was making my lots many years ago while I was playing with Maxis overlay textures, and finally is high time to put the idea into practice. The aim is to create a flexible set of pieces (something like puzzle pieces) in order to make bigger parks on any size and shape without the need of any dependency, allowing all kind of players to use them. In other words, only Maxis made props and textures so everybody can use them. If you don't like the trees, you can use a tree replacement mod or the Lot Editor to customize them by yourself.

Right now there are 22 pieces but I'm making some extra more to fill some gaps I found while I was testing them.

I divided the collection into 3 sets just for convenience. The first set includes the most simple pieces, the "base" if you prefer.

The second set add some extra paths, reducing the number of the trees (especially the bigger ones) and giving you a more plaza feeling.

The third set adds diagonal paths to use them as corners and for more artistic variations.

Plenty of possibilities ;D

Plaza-parks can be used to close gaps, divide zones and surround buildings like museums and bus stops.

But you can also build entire parks, with those pieces alone or by mixing them with extra parts like playgrounds and whatever you have in your plugins folder.

Coming soon  :)
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

One of my very first downloads was Quadrahedron Matrix, originally made by 2ch.net simplayer. A cool set of futuristic landmarks with jobs that can be connected to build a network of them, but sadly suffers from plop-without-a-building disease. Zelgadis made a landmark-only version of it, but he didn't included T and + intersections. So I made them and they'll be released very soon.

The Choice is Ours
---