• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisadams3997

Thanks guys, here's another based on a local station.  It's not really brick, but I wanted the variety.  I'm going to try to do one more and release a set.

Chris

Nardo69

The material of the RL fire station is most probably a sandvich panel made out of two sheets of aluminium or two sheets of  steel or one aluminium and one steel sheet with 5-10cm rigid insulation in between - mineral wool, glas fiber, polyurethane, you name it.

These panels come with a minimum required heat insualtion value, are cheap in production and fast layed down on the steel construction - the walls and roof of such a fire station can be cladded within some days by 4 or 5 workers.

Had to make offers for such housings some times ago IRL. Didn't like the job, but the money has to come from somewhere.

Pat

The sirens are mainly now used in the states for sever weather only, the days of calling to firefighters is sadly gone... You're right there Chris we use either a combo of Pagers and radios nowadays... I do have to also say Chris on your first station if it had two more bays it would be a dead ringer for Elcho Fire & Rescue... The first department I was on in Wisconsin...

In the same token in the 2 bay version that you do got there it almost looks like my current departments 2nd station...  Now the second model looks like it could also be used as a Ambulance squad, just a thought as that is something missing in game too  ;)....

patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Chrisadams3997

Good info Bernhard, they build a lot of buildings like that around here, most of the industrial buildings certainly are.

QuoteIn the same token in the 2 bay version that you do got there it almost looks like my current departments 2nd station...  Now the second model looks like it could also be used as a Ambulance squad, just a thought as that is something missing in game too

That's an idea, mod it as a low capacity, high radius clinic for covering rural areas.  I might do that.

I decided to put the metal siding on two sides and leave the brick on two sides.  The real building (though you can't tell in the pictures) has brick just on the front and metal on the other three sides.  I also made a second color variation for both current stations:

you might notice I also raised the roof up some more.  And here's the second version of the first model:

Pat

Chris looking real good there now with the raised roof pitch!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Nardo69

The raised roof surely does add to the modell.

About the front wall in brick masonry and the other three walls in metal cladding: that makes perfect sense.

While rigid enough for (most) windforces etc. these panels do not like it if a car bumps into them - they bend and buckle. The constructor of a  local market in my neighbour village made the mistake to clad down to the ground with these panels (cheaper) instead of making a solid concrete socket (more expensive) facing to the parking lot.

The buckles show perfectly the height of the bumper of their customers ...

Chrisadams3997

QuoteChris looking real good there now with the raised roof pitch!!!

Yep, I certainly agree.

QuoteAbout the front wall in brick masonry and the other three walls in metal cladding: that makes perfect sense.

While rigid enough for (most) windforces etc. these panels do not like it if a car bumps into them - they bend and buckle. The constructor of a  local market in my neighbour village made the mistake to clad down to the ground with these panels (cheaper) instead of making a solid concrete socket (more expensive) facing to the parking lot.

The buckles show perfectly the height of the bumper of their customers ...

Just goes to show, you get what you pay for.. . hey, wait a sec. . . isn't everything on this site free... oh, the conundrums, anyway.

one quick update and a quick request, the white one needed some color to show it was a fire department:

Now it's finished. :D

And the request.  I want to do one more but haven't found just the right one yet, I want to see if anyone has any good ones to base it off of.  I'm making them all to the same stats, so the only limit I'll put is that it's a two bay station or can easily be batted with just two.  Post pictures if you got 'em :)

Chris

Pat

LoL Chris you said the magic words lol hehehe!!!! I will get pics for ya's if nothing more then for reference's materials!!!

Chrisadams3997

I'll look forward to it Pat

Edit: new screen shots, I've got 'em all in game and I switched to cp textures for their added versatility

looks like I've got some oversized doors to fix &Thk/(

Ennedi

Look very nice! :thumbsup:
I'm not sure if it is necessary to fix doors, they must be high, fire engines have ladders and another stuff on the roof  ;)

Adam

ah, I meant this little discrepancy:

not that Maxis buildings are always a great place to compare scale, but hey...
-Chris

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

jacqulina

Diggis

You asked for it.  :D  here is my local station across the road from Mum and Dads:

Cheviot Fire Station

The link to google maps will give you street view which will give you a good look at the side too.  It's a concrete and plaster construction and also has the police station in too but that's not critical.

darraghf

I can't wait to see those fire stations in game!
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Chrisadams3997

That looks like a good candidate Shawn, and being on a corner, I can see all down the side in streetview as well.  We'll wait a few days (I'll be busy for a few days anyways) for any others and I'll make a decision.

Chris

FrankU

This is a nice set of buildings Chris!

shoreman905

Here is an example of rural simplicity. The only reason this station has so many bays, is that is located here in Nassawadox along with Shore Memorial Hospital.

girlfromverona

Fantastic work, Chris! Look forward to getting these in my game.  :thumbsup:

art128

Hi Chris, that fire station looks really good my friend, your reproduction is excellent. Also, the ingame pictures are fantastic too !
Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
Ps - two post away to the thousand...  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

TheTeaCat

Fab looking buildings you've done there Chris :thumbsup:
Here's some pics for you to add to your collection, they may be some help to you. :)

Abercarn Station - South Wales

Hillingdon Station -  London

Can't recall the location but it sure looks good ;)

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Chrisadams3997

Ah, yall are making my decision difficult!  Let's take a look:

Shaun: This would be a good pick, it's a different enough design to be interesting but not so unique you'd only ever put one in a region, or even a large tile.  Since it's on a corner, I've got good views along the front and one side in street view to work with, which is awfully good.  I'd have to modify the two front doors so they don't get totally lost in those recesses, but otherwise it suites itself very well to being modeled for SC4.

Shoreman:  I really like this one as well, a great example of rural simplicity indeed.  It'd also add one with shingled roof to contrast with the metal ones.  The available views of it are a little lacking, as the street it's on itself isn't covered in street view, but the nearby highway is.  From there, it's only visible from the farther lane as a truck obscures it's view in the nearer one (see here).  Between that, the satellite view, and your photo though, I've got enough to work with.

Derry:  Certainly a different architectural style than what I'm used to in the states, and I'm sure the time period they were built in influences their appearance as well.  The first two probably date back somewhere around the 70's to late 80's, though the last looks newer, within the last 10 to 15 years at least.  They'd all be great additions, though for the moment, they'd be out of character with the first two for this set.  Maybe later I'll do a british/european themed set :satisfied:

So, a few more days for pictures, and I'll make a decision.

Chris