• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Seraf's NYBT BATs

Started by seraf, July 21, 2014, 11:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seraf

I guess it's time to start my own thread here too :)

Some of you probably know me from simtropolis or remember my old thread here. In this thread I will be posting progress of my BATs under NYBT flag :)

For the start - nearly finished University Club from new York City: (some details and textures missing)

Bipin

Glad to see you over here on SC4D. Keep up the excellent BATing!

noahclem

Wow, that's a beauty! Other than the lack of depth to the top level/superstructure and the previously mentioned missing textures it looks about perfect. Is the below ground level stuff something for slope tolerance? Welcome back to SC4D :)

deora

Of course your name rings a bell.And i`m glad you are still batting New York Buildings.
I`m currently working on my own recreation of the city that never sleeps (and i`m miserably failing at it ::)) and i`m always in the need for lots and bats that fit in there.
Your newest creation is coming along great.Sure,there is still some roof junk missing but i`m sure you will add them when it`s time.
Oh,and i`m also wondering what that green stripe below the building is for.
Thanks for showing and keep up the good work. &apls

romualdillo

Excellent work, as always!! This will be an incredible addition to the NY set when finished.  &apls

seraf

Bipin - Glad to be back :) Thanks for comment!

noahclem - Thank you :) No, it's just a light well that was there in building's early years. In fact real building is/was on slope. That balustrade on ground floor actually should go gradually down from the building. But I didn't know how it would look/work in game and also I thought that most players will place the building on flat gorund anyway so... I hope you are not terribly dissapointed :)

deora - Thank you for comment :) I hope you will find the final version of roof to be complete ;) (I'm not a particular fan of modern/chaotic roofs with tons of roof junk)

romualdillo - Thank you :)

Almost done ;)

Dantes

seraf

Thank you Dantes :)

Looks like this is the final version: (I might try to make the flag a little bit less dark and saturated but that would be all)

And I have a question, does someone know if it would be possible to make NAM tram-avenue the way Tram-on-street is made? That is - the cars and tram would share the space where the rails are. I would also like to change the white/beige tile that is underneath the rails to asphalt :)

Bipin

Nice work, especially with texturing the model!

deora

Ahh,your BAT looks awesome.The textures are perfect and the roof is also very well done.Personaly,i`m also not a huge fan of old buildings with chaotic roof mounted thingies like new AC`s and such,but it`s still better than modern additions like more floors or a penthouse.Some of these later additions atop an old house looks like someone wears an ugly hat.
Besides that for people who like the rooftop more modernized there are props with AC units and such. $%Grinno$%

david1865

Nice building you have done here!

Next building: Harvard University Library? ;)

noahclem

Wow, these are just stunning  :o  You obviously weren't kidding about "Master of Beaux-Arts" :D

QuoteAnd I have a question, does someone know if it would be possible to make NAM tram-avenue the way Tram-on-street is made? That is - the cars and tram would share the space where the rails are. I would also like to change the white/beige tile that is underneath the rails to asphalt :)

I'm very interested in the same thing or at least very similar things! The tram network is a bit tricky in that there are so many different kinds in RL that it's difficult to know how to add more options and more realistic ones without ending up with a million puzzle pieces. I'm not active at the moment since I'm preparing to get married in a week and that and work have sucked up pretty much all my time this summer but I have been working on a project to improve the NAM's tram system, along with a few other people. The end product should have the area under the tram rails and the sidewalks customizable in the same way that regular sidewalks are now (so asphalt would definitely be possible).

This is an old texture but is this what you mean by the cars and tram sharing the space where the rails are? This network exists now but with a different look.

Here's another example of some ideas I've had with it. The fanned stones are likely to be replaced by a texture vortext has been working on (click)

A draft of the 4-way tram-in-avenue intersection texture:

And as long as I'm out of hiding briefly....might as well share a new tram station model reddonquixote drew up as part of the project ;)

If you have questions about how to change the look of the tram textures yourself I'd be happy to offer what assistance I can :)

edited to remove duplicate pic

Gugu3

Very interesting stuff here!!!

seraf

Bipin - Thank you :)

deora - Thank you :) And I second what you said about adding more floors what unfortuately seems to be the trend those days :/

david1865 - Thank you :) My to-do list is very full those days, I have at least five started models from NYC and like three or four from other places so while Harvard University Library is beautiful building I don't think I will have time to make it anytime soon :(

noahclem - Haha thanks! :D And thank you very much for your answer! :) (and sory for the delay with mine). Anyway - I'm glad to hear that what you are saying about customization. I want to make my city look like the cities from around 1900 so it would come very handy :)

What I had in mind was more like this:

You know - the rails are laid out on the street but without any special indication that they are there and horse carriages and cars share the lane where rails are with the tram :) (The texture looks great BTW)

The station looks nice!  :thumbsup: For now I think I won't have time to experiment with making custom textures for trams (I really want to finish some of the buildings I started BATing) but I'll keep it in mind! :)

And of course congratulations on your marriage  &apls ;)

Gugu3 - Thanks :)

vortext

Very nice picture you found Seraf! As it so happens I too have an interest in bringing a historic feel to SC4 (see the historic harbor project) and my textures which Noah mentioned reflect this as well.

This is a wip pic from some time ago but yeah, something similar with Noah's improved GLR tracks is what I have in mind. Now if I could find the time for it, that'd be great.  &sly  :D
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

romualdillo

Hi Seraf!! I'm very glad to found others trying to build their cities with a 1900 look. That's why I started batting. I'm still not very experienced, but if I can help with something, please tell!! I think vortext's textures look incredible. I hope you find time soon to finish them!!

Keep the good work!!!   :thumbsup:

cmdp123789

Vortext, are those textures meant to be released? OMG it would be so cool to have those..  &apls

noahclem

seraf, it's a bit hard to tell what you're after from the picture you posted as the details of the pavement aren't very visible. Do you mean something like the paving stones in Vortext's example or do you mean the exact same pattern of stones under the shared tram/carriage lane as under the carriage only lane? And again it's a very neat project you're working on.

Quote from: vortext on August 02, 2014, 11:59:49 AMThis is a wip pic from some time ago but yeah, something similar with Noah's improved GLR tracks is what I have in mind. Now if I could find the time for it, that'd be great.  &sly  :D

I hear you on the time problem! Finished the wedding (which included a horse-drawn carriage ride from the church to the reception incidentally) but will be quite busy catching up on everything before heading out to Tanzania for a safari honeymoon until the 20th. I do look forward to seeing a draft texture with your pavement and my rails and alignments and will try to make sure I've got updated and properly formatted versions of them uploaded before leaving town if I can. It will be nice to move forward with this when we can find the time!

vortext

thanks romualdillo & cmdp123789! As I said these textures were drafts made a while ago, eventual tracks will be different (see Noah's pics below) though the pavement will most likely end up pretty similar.

Quote from: noahclem on August 04, 2014, 04:34:49 AM
I do look forward to seeing a draft texture with your pavement and my rails and alignments and will try to make sure I've got updated and properly formatted versions of them uploaded before leaving town if I can. It will be nice to move forward with this when we can find the time!

Yes, it'll be nice to get this up and running. I just started a new job so it takes some time settling into a new routine and such. Enjoy the honeymoon!

/ end of thread hijack  :D
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

seraf

vortext -your textures look wonderful! The ones I saw in your thread are great looking too! :) I look forward to see them finished but it looks like we all suffer from chronic lack of time ;)

romualdillo - So it's just like for me ;) I too started BATting because there wasn't many NYC buildings and that was/is the city that I wanted to recreate.

noahclem - I was going to say that I meant the same exact pattern under both lanes but on the second thought I would be extremely satisfied with both :) I hope you enjoy your honeymoon!

No update today, I'm working on something that I can't really show you guys right now but I'm working :)

EDIT: BTW guys, it is just me or the asphalt back then was lighter than today? I mean, on old photos it sometimes looks so bright...