• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Alternative for paying for the LEX DVD

Started by ford-prefect, August 05, 2009, 01:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford-prefect

25 Euros - according to the currency converter, that's 36 US dollars. I don't want to make this sound like I'm resentful, because I'm eternally grateful for all the amazing stuff done on this site, to say I'm a fan would be underestimating it. However, if you're not aware, this is a video game, and young people, people still in middle or high school - a.k.a. people with little income to speak of - are one of the largest demographics that play this game. (I myself am 16, so heaven knows I don't have a paypal account.) So, what to do for that large constituency that can't for the life of them afford paying 36 dollars? When I look at something like the University of Clayhurst - something that makes me tempted to steal those 36 dollars - well, what to do? So, would it be possible to work out something where I could sort of... work on something you need help with in order to get even just the Clayhurst files, not even the entire set? In other words, there's got to be some way for people to earn these great files that doesn't involve money, and I'd be thrilled if there was something for me to do that would help the site and that would merit me receiving these great files. Thanks so much!

WC_EEND

I can see your point, I've got the same problem myself so I hope there's another way (pay by cash, money transfer,etc.) but I actually doubt it
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

io_bg

It's the same with me. I'd really love to get the DVD but the only way I can pay is by cash &mmm
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

dragonshardz

Yup, same here. All I have is cash...and even that is rare. Not having a job royally sucks.

Pat

If the cost of the DvD is a factor here think of it this way... After paypal takes their cut its more like 30 bucks that actually goes to Jeronij or Barby... Then what Jeronij does is pay the sites bandwidth and helps keep this site going... Also whoopsie I forgot about the duplicator has to be paid per disk that is made soooo there is also another cut of that 30 dollars....

So lets say the Duplicator wants 15 per disk that is a income of 15 only to go to sites bandwidth.... I know by far the bandwidth aint cheap so a 15 dollars extra helps out coming in from the donations.... I know Jeronij aint rich so whats not paid threw donations comes from his own pocket...

So By using Paypal it gives a form of protection to you and to the site that the money will not be lost nor is there any more charges for currency conversion which would be another cut in that pie...

OK I hope my ramblings made any sense here - patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jigsaw

i have another suggestion for a solution, in which we all win in more ways than one... i just havent finished writing it yet... ???
insert signature here

joelyboy911

I too wish there was another way - also, as much as you deserve all of it, 25 Euros is 53 NZ$, and my wage at my part time job is $12.50 per hour before tax, so I would have to work 5 1/2 hours to pay the donation. Would it be possible to donate a smaller amount, over a longer time. I also do not have a paypal account, nor do I have a credit card.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Andreas

Quote from: joelyboy911 on August 06, 2009, 12:53:33 AM
Would it be possible to donate a smaller amount, over a longer time.

This is not advisable, since PayPal charges a certain percentage of every transaction they make. If you can't afford the DVD right now, why not saving a few bucks each week, until you gathered enough? I don't know if there are other viable options apart from PayPal, but it seems to be the easiest way, considering the money conversion they have to make and all. Maybe you could ask your parents or a friend who is old enough if he could do the transaction, in case you don't have a PayPal account yourself.
Andreas

WC_EEND

Question Time!

How old does one need to be to own a Paypal account?

Is a Paypal account free? (= does one have to pay to own the account?)

How can one put money on his Paypal account?

My LOT thread                                    

Andreas

I think you can look that up at the PalPal site. :) The method of transferring money to the PayPal account is probably different for each country, so you'll have to check how it is handled in your place.
Andreas

WC_EEND

just checked the Belgian Pypal site, and it says I need a creditcard, which means we're back to square one

My LOT thread                                    

rooker1

You should be able to give them your bank info.  What they do is deposit a few pennies and you need to varify this amount, but this way takes a few days.  This is how I set up mine, but I live in Canada, maybe it is different.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

catty

Quote from: joelyboy911 on August 06, 2009, 12:53:33 AM
I too wish there was another way - also, as much as you deserve all of it, 25 Euros is 53 NZ$, and my wage at my part time job is $12.50 per hour before tax, so I would have to work 5 1/2 hours to pay the donation. Would it be possible to donate a smaller amount, over a longer time. I also do not have a paypal account, nor do I have a credit card.

You could get a LOADED card from the Post Office (that's what I used to get the SC4 LEX DVD), according to their website
https://www.loadedcard.co.nz/what-loaded-is/

QuoteLoaded is a reloadable prepaid Visa card that...

* you can use instore, online or overseas
    * anyone aged 13 and over can apply for
    * reload your card via internet banking or at your local PostShop

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

WC_EEND

Quote from: catty on August 06, 2009, 11:07:31 AM
You could get a LOADED card from the Post Office (that's what I used to get the SC4 LEX DVD), according to their website

I like your idea, but unfortunately they only ship cards to New-Zealand

My LOT thread                                    

trapmaka

Quote from: catty on August 06, 2009, 11:07:31 AM

If i'm going to buy stuff online I use my debit card from kiwibank (westpac have theirs not sure about ASB, ANZ etc) which takes money from your account directly and is able to be used by paypal and takes the charges and temptation of a credit card away  :P. Doing a direct credit transfer via the bankis a b****. Kiwibank charges $20 for EACH transaction and you need to add the recipents details before hand so the bank can verify the account, ironicly the Aussie banks might actually be cheaper  :angrymore:.
But yeah the currency exchange rate really bites down here, but dam that university...

daeley

@WC_EEND: You may not have a credit card, but as far as I know VISA is quite common these days around here. Are sure sure your parents don't have one? Or maybe you have an older friend (a cousin or something) that has one. In any case, setting up a paypal account is completely free, so if you do find someone with a credit card, it won't cost you any more than the 25 euros mentioned.

edit: I just checked my paypal account and it seems I can reload my account with a simple bank transfer. Under the tab - "top up your account"
Transfer money from your bank account to your PayPal account. In order to transfer the money successfully, make sure that the name on your PayPal account matches the name on your bank account. It is also essential that you copy the Transfer ID in the Notes or Memo section on your bank transfer form.

Your money will be in your PayPal account in 1-3 business days. We don't charge any fees for this transfer.

doesn't seem like you need a credit card...
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

WC_EEND

Quote from: daeley on August 07, 2009, 06:07:25 AM
@WC_EEND: You may not have a credit card, but as far as I know VISA is quite common these days around here. Are sure sure your parents don't have one? Or maybe you have an older friend (a cousin or something) that has one. In any case, setting up a paypal account is completely free, so if you do find someone with a credit card, it won't cost you any more than the 25 euros mentioned.

edit: I just checked my paypal account and it seems I can reload my account with a simple bank transfer. Under the tab - "top up your account"
doesn't seem like you need a credit card...

Ok, thanks for the info Daeley. I'll look into it

My LOT thread                                    

catty

Hi WC_EEND

you may also want to check out the Belgium Post Office as it has a whole range of services that have nothing to do with posting letters

catty  :)

http://www.post.be/site/en/postoffice/moneyServices/index.html

I'm not hundred percent sure on the translation as it was a mix of english and french

QuoteYour payment freedom credit card.

Card MasterCard * La Poste bank allows you to pay in shops, restaurants... in Belgium and in more than 120 countries.
Your payments are cumulative and deducted from your account Postcheque once per month.
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

WC_EEND

whoops, never tought about that :D
thanks for looking that up for me, only thing is if I take a mastercard at the ban of the post, I might as well take a Visa with my current bank (BNP Paribas Fortis) the only problem is that my parents won't agree (even though I'm 18 and thus legally an adult)

My LOT thread