• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NEW - Turning Lanes Plugin - POLL Closed

Started by jplumbley, October 09, 2007, 03:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I do?      Please read below before voting.

Re-write the RTL Plugin.
81 (89%)
Leave it as is.
7 (7.7%)
Dont care (dont use it)
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Kitsune

Quote from: DFire870 on October 16, 2007, 12:28:02 PM
Ah, that'd be awesome if you could choose which parts of the intersection you want turning lanes on, since not every 4-way intersection has turning lanes on all 4 sides.

Heh, the work around I use for this is just a one tile piece of the ANT network, works everytime, and I never get any development issues....
~ NAM Team Member

jplumbley

The implementation is not 100% decided yet as my initial idea didnt totally work, as I said earlier.  Here is a picture:

"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

dragonshardz

well JP i'm all for it. good RULing, man.

cammo2003

Quote from: jplumbley on October 16, 2007, 07:27:21 PM
The implementation is not 100% decided yet as my initial idea didnt totally work, as I said earlier.  Here is a picture:

Yeah, you've got a drunk road marker there...  :P

Shadow Assassin

Shouldn't it be possible to make the RUL override behave in a certain way, ensuring 100% success (or close to)? Say, the texture automatically rotates itself when the control piece (the intersection piece) is drawn... Call the intersection piece A, the first piece B and the last piece C. Maybe it could be written in such a way that if A is there, B should be the next piece drawn, then C, but C cannot appear next to A, meaning it must be next to B.

It probably requires a bit of experimentation with this sort of thing.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

nerdly_dood

Are the texture IDs on the new RTL going to be the same as the currently available one?  I really loathe the default textrures, and I don't want my white stripes to go away, although I do prefer the double yellow line down the middle.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jplumbley

@nerdly_dood  The texture IIDs have changed due to the fact that there are now about 1/3 of the original textures.  Any mods that change the base texture will have to be updated in accordance with the new RTL Mod.  The biggest reason for this change in IIDs is so that it was easier to write the code and so that there would be no issues with writing the TLA Projects.

@ShadowAssassin  Yes, I would have thought so too.  My fixes have actually ended up "breaking" the intersection.  What this means is I have overriden the Intersection too many times.  I have made it possible to have 3 optional Left Turn Lanes, but it breaks when I try for the 4th.

To those wondering how this will be implemented.  At the moment I am trying to get it so that it automatically overrides when there are Back to Back "Street to Road" connections.  I cannot post a picture of how to draw it at the time being but I will eventually when I have this working 100%.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

j-dub

You know I hate to say what jplumbley has in common here to someone else we know, but even though azn's done the shunned te lots, it just I noticed in his te lots, he managed to get 3 left turn lanes correctly drawn before his alternative 4 way intersection lots. Maybe, visually, the only alternative is a seperate puzzle piece, not the intersection, but a stand alone left turn lane piece before, because there is a possibility it can't be done. 

Filasimo

um jdub: these arent puzzle pieces........if you have read carefully Jplumbey is working on a way to implement these turning lanes when you make road intersections which is the appropriate way to code it and not find shortcuts...
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jplumbley

J-dub... My work has nothing to do with TE Lots, they are RUL Overrides, the proper way to do this.  I do not use TE Lots and Puzzle Pieces should not be required for this intersection, I just used a method that didnt work, I just have to re-think and re-write a piece or two.

I can re-write it to work backwards with drawable intersections, but it will require a bit more work.  Tropod has already given me an idea of how to fix the work I have already written but I havent had time between other things I have been working on in the past week and a half.

In the past 3 weeks I have written the code and made some of the textures for SAM Roundabouts.  Experimented with SAM Diagonals, found that the code will be possible, but it will require alot of textures (wont be ready until SAM BETA v3).  Wrote the code for SAM/OWR intersections, the textures are on my to do list.  I also have some code to write for SAM/Avenue intersections which I havent added yet.  I have also written the code for TLA-5 Ortho Intersections.  These RULs are possible to be recycled and used as RULs in the RHW-4 and RHW-2 networks very easily, just need the textures which are about 2/3 done by Rickmastfan.  I have been helping with the re-calculation of the Pathfinding Engine with mott.  And I have been helping Warrior with a Boston Big Dig experiment that looks to be able to change the way we use BBD lots and make them ALOT more useful.  Its been a very busy 3 weeks for me and I think I am allowed to slack in this department for the time being, just give me time and I will get it working, hopefully before the next release of NAM/SAM/RHW which will all be simultaneous.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

j-dub

I Know those are not puzzle pieces, but would left turn lane puzzle pieces be such a problem? Of course it would be a real mistake to call your re-coding te lots! Its just I couldn't figure out how azns lot overrode the system and had 3 turn lanes appear in front of his alt jcts or what not. However, would doing left turn lanes on puzzle pieces be possible? Or will raised roads eventually get the same RUL treatment as ground here? Would such a thing get considered at least for that type of road? One more thing, the 2 lane rhw,

Serkanner

Why would anybody want puzzle pieces if it can be made draggable? That is just silly.

I get the feeling jdub that you want to drag the "discussion" about this subject from elsewhere to this website: DON'T!

If you want puzzle pieces of TE lots, get them elsewhere. This topic is about RTL done the proper way.

Pat

Well said there SerKanner.... So Back On Topic here... Jp that is a wierd mistake i say about the turning lane lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Meastro444

well, hardly can wait for this to finish JP ;) and i saw a bunch of great news on your posts, which will keep me drooling ;) keep it up man, i aprreciate what you are doing here!
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Shadow Assassin

QuoteWhy would anybody want puzzle pieces if it can be made draggable? That is just silly.

Well, we do kind of need them to make draggable networks. But in this case, it won't even be necessary, since we're just fooling the game into doing something when confronted with a particular situation.
New Horizons Productions

Serkanner

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on October 20, 2007, 06:51:36 AM
Well, we do kind of need them to make draggable networks. But in this case, it won't even be necessary, since we're just fooling the game into doing something when confronted with a particular situation.

Of course I meant puzzle pieces as independent network piece instead of draggable networks with the puzzle piece being part of a draggable network. But you knew that of course  :P

j-dub

Serkanner, No, all I'm saying is raised roads could also stand for some left turn lanes, I mean don't you think that would be good if you use those to make overpass ramps, and have the extra lanes for up there? If this does lead to a different project, then my appologizes for parking my car in the wrong spot, get it? As for the RTL, is it also possible that a mod could be made for Roads, like Sam, that could do this with RTL, but SLR too, and give us options, like to not have turning lanes as well, maybe even road ATL could be included? Just a thought, but I don't know, maybe if those 2 projects of SLR, and RTL could get merged to something similar via just 1 network tile, it  might be easier.

Shadow Assassin

QuoteAs for the RTL, is it also possible that a mod could be made for Roads, like Sam, that could do this with RTL, but SLR too, and give us options, like to not have turning lanes as well, maybe even road ATL could be included? Just a thought, but I don't know, maybe if those 2 projects of SLR, and RTL could get merged to something similar via just 1 network tile, it  might be easier.

We're a step ahead of you, j-dub. ;)
New Horizons Productions

Serkanner

Thank you for answering the question Shadow Assassin.

JoeST

I'm just wondering... how are you going to implement the UI of this.. IE how are us as users going to implement RTL's in the future??? I ask this because I thought it may be possible for you to create a mini roundabout system that takes up 1 tile???

Thankyou for your time

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms