• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural power lines

Started by willy88, August 20, 2007, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

supercity124

Quote from: metarvo on September 17, 2008, 06:27:21 AM
Teaser

The weather was good.  It was a perfect day for local small-airplane pilots to hone their skills.  As one pilot flew over this road, he saw these poles being constructed.  The wires had not yet been attached.

His good friend told him that he had heard about one of the poles from a another friend.  This pilot's closest friend recalls that the other friend showed him some pictures of the local electric behemoth's company's current construction projects.  To the pilot's closest friend, the straight metal power pole closely resembled a 220 kv pole that was in the first picture that he was shown.

These are nice power poles, are you going to add wires on these poles and release it on the STEX??
Cities will have tall buildings, and rural areas will have farms and power lines.

I AM YOUR LOCAL CITY PLANNER OF THE FUTURE

choco

nah...power poles dont need transmission cables.....

::)

&apls  on the poles.....

...now where's my sammich?

supercity124

What the heck is a sammich??, I don't know what it means!!, And I've never heard of that word!! ???
Cities will have tall buildings, and rural areas will have farms and power lines.

Ryan B.

"Sammich" = slang for "sandwich".

metarvo

Quote from: supercity124 on September 23, 2008, 04:42:03 PM
These are nice power poles, are you going to add wires on these poles and release it on the STEX??

Quote from: choco on September 23, 2008, 05:31:12 PM
nah...power poles dont need transmission cables.....

I have some good news.  Both of you will win when these poles are released, because they will be released with and without wires, as all of my releases have been. :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

supercity124

metarvo, Since you are releasing these power poles, Can you also create these power poles as it is in the picture below??, It is the power poles circled in black in the picture.

metarvo

Earlier, I made a 45-degree turn piece for the wooden poles.  Now, I have made one for the metal ones:

This model took two tries to render successfully.  For some reason, I get bad renders pretty regularly, necessitating a re-render of the model.  Of course, this takes a long time, and it is one of the reasons that my work on these poles has been slowed.  Consequently, it may take me a while to get to any requests, but they will be done when they are done.

EDIT:  Thanks for the info, Matt.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

threestooges

A bit pressed for time right now, but nice poles. As far as the bad renders go, if they seem to be distorted relfections of other buildings, try the 'model names' file attached to the bottom of this post by Chrisadams. It's a file to fix an export issue with the BAT. Worked well for me (you can see the previous results a little further up my BAT thread). Off to class now, hope this helps.

metarvo

Yes, this is the problem that I had.  This is great, Matt, but I need to know where to put this fileWhich folder does it go in?  Any help is appreciated. :)

EDIT:  I figured out how to use it, and I must say that it works like a charm.  Thank you, Matt. :thumbsup:

ANOTHER EDIT:  I am showcasing three new additions in this pic.  Here goes nothing...

Can anyone spot what I have done here? ;D

supercity124

You are making new power lines, I am very proud and impressed!!!! :thumbsup:

j-dub

No, is it the connection to the draggable ones? This would look great for me, since the power lines in my game are gray, not  that red and white color.

metarvo

j-dub:  Yes, you are right.  This is one of the new additions.  :thumbsup:  This is a visual connection from my metal poles to a triple set of Maxis power lines.  It's eyecandy, but that could be said of all of my power pole BATs.

supercity124:  Thank you for the compliment.   :)  Work on these things is slowing down somewhat, since I've actually been playing :o SC4 instead of BATting, and I've had to deal with some classic RL.

1 DOWN!
One down, two more to go.  Can anyone figure out the other two things I have done here?  I'll give you a hint: incomplete.

supercity124

metarvo, I am glad that you made your power lines connect with the maxis power lines, very good.

sim-al2

I think you made the poles have diagonal to diagonal and 67.5 degree turns. ;)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

metarvo

We have another winner!  You are correct, sim-al2. :thumbsup:  Actually these are both 67.5 degree turns, one from East to South-Southeast and one from Southeast to East-Northeast.  Even though it is not present in this pic, it is true that I have made 90-degree diagonal to diagonal turns as well.  I plan to also have the same turning configurations for my metal poles.

2 DOWN!
With one more left!  What else have I done?  The other hint still stands, since sim-al2 happened to find the other new addition first.  Here's the hint again: incomplete.

sim-al2

I think I know what it is but I won't say it.  ()stsfd()
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

nerdly_dood

YES! My in-game power lines are gray, too, thanks to a mod I found on the STEX (probably the same one J-Dub uses) so this would make my functional/eye-candy power line transitions look a lot better.

I dare not speculate as to what else you've done.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Streetlight 725

metarvo

Okay, so this game I've been playing with all of you must be getting old.  I will give in and tell you what I have done (my apologies for the pause border):

Although it was not the intended end purpose of the good totally wonderful tutorial I used [linkie], I did learn how to create my own PNG files to use as menu icons.  The lines indicate which direction the pole is going, or if it is a turning pole.  A black box in the icon indicates a wired pole, no black box is unwired.  You can thank good old Google Maps Street View for the RL pictures I used to represent the poles.

I got the idea to create that transition from my metal pole to the Maxis poles because I knew there would come a time when my pole would have to confront a sloped area.  One of the shortcomings of BATted power poles is their incompatibility with slopes.  Although unwired versions could be used to circumvent this obstacle, I decided that another solution was warranted.