• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural power lines

Started by willy88, August 20, 2007, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzit

mehh i modeld some new pylons for straight lines but now can't render anymore i get this:
script error while executing:openTB2MainUI().

i have to press ok
and then nothing happens i cant do anything no exporting or rendering and this comes at a really bad moment!
whats the problem?

Buzzit

so i finally figured out what the problem was and i fixed it

so this is what i got now :

so what do you people think?

im still on the search in google earth if i see other types but i think i have enough supspension pylons hehe

all pylons do exist in alot of european countries but im not done yet

i also made my first  2 110kv high voltage single circuit power pylons:

allthough i think the isolators are still a bit small i think the result is awesome

these are pretty common i pretty much every country exept for a few.  but i yet again use a french google earth picture for my inspiration!
and damn i saw some nice pylons in that country wich i wanna give a try aswell!

and a small ingame shot:

tobad i didnt saved the google earth coordinates i wanted to check the high but im pretty sure is close to it. i checked were the line gone to and a km or 5 later i see the same type of pylon somewhat bigger(like somewhat smaller than the maxis ones) so i think im gonna make an 220 kv equivalent aswell

MandelSoft

Looking wonderfull, Buzzit! I think these would also fit in your set  ;):
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Buzzit

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 10, 2010, 12:50:23 AM
Looking wonderfull, Buzzit! I think these would also fit in your set  ;):

thanks for the compliment :)!
yeh they indeed look really good! and they are also from france!
did you made those?

MandelSoft

Yes, I batted them myself  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Buzzit

i found something interesting for rural powerlines
if somebody else would ever wanna try
here's a blue print i found of certain designs:
http://www.myinsulators.com/acw/bookref/poletower/gonentrans-fig2.11.jpg

i though its maybe nice to share and these are easy to bat so if somebody wants to try! i would say give it a shot!

metarvo

This didn't really belong in my BAT topic, since none of my BATs are involved (yet), so I decided to post it here instead.  A couple of weeks ago, Lowkee33 posted a fine tutorial on modding the Maxis power line network.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any custom BATs into this network yet, but I did play around with the Power Line Scaling Factor in the Reader and managed to make the Maxis wires invisible when I set each factor to -1.

Here is a wireless Maxis power line going across the water to provide power to the buildings on the other side.

To show that it works, here is the Power Data View.

Making the wires invisible doesn't serve any real purpose on its own.  However, it does show that the wires can be done away with, so that they won't be an issue for people who substitute their own power pole models for the Maxis ones.

Finally, I am on the threshold of making a draggable version of my power line set, following the previously mentioned tutorial.  Here I am dragging out a line of P3 Phase I metal lattice pylons.

Here is a group of power lines I have dragged out.  The wires are still inactive for now, because they don't line up with my set.  I have chosen to replace the intersections with turning pylons from my set that I have selected.

Now, the ploppable sets are not going away, and I will still continue working on them.  However, several people have been requesting that I make a draggable set, so I'm trying to do just that.  With that being said, the Maxis power line network is a rather interesting one.  It can even run at fractional angles, as I discovered a while back.  I'll have to play around with it a little more over the coming weeks, in between SC4, work on my ploppable power lines, and a little RL here and there.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Lowkee33

Very nice, I was about to ask you what went wrong, but it appears you got it.

The Power Line Scaling Factor can be 0 and still be invisible (I think, if we are talking of the same property, the one with 5 reps?).  Each rep is the width of the power line.  Maxis power lines actually get wider as you zoom out, so I think a fix may be good for that, they look much better if they get thinner as you zoom out (IMHO).

Not sure how you and Buzzit make the pylons.  You may consider Batting the wires into the pylon model.  This way when you drag you actually get wires.  There would be a bunch of restrictions on what formations could be dragged, but something to think about.

Edit: or perhaps the wires as a separate Lot Plop?

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

metarvo

The wires in my current ploppable set are separate from the pylon models, so I would need to BAT them into models.  You're right about the limitations, though.  The pylons would always have to be the same space apart.  It would be more manageable though if I used non-drooping wires instead.  Since I already use a 3-tile right of way with the ploppable set, an offset wire lot to go with it is a good idea.  Unfortunately, BATted wires brings back the slope-unfriendliness that plagues ploppable power line sets.  Not only that, but I've uncovered some strange behavior with the intersection pylons.  Although they can be dragged out in rotations other than north, they always default to the north rotation after a zoom or view rotate.  This means that I will have to be careful with the poles that I decide to use for the intersections.

Yes, that property is the one I adjusted.  To experiment with thinner wires, I set the reps to 0,0.05,0.1,0.15,0.2.  The wires still seem a little thick in the closest zooms, but they now thin out quite nicely in the farther ones.  I'll try to get a picture up later.  I wish there was a way to adjust the horizontal or vertical positions of the wires, though.  I have an idea for hybrid approach that would use both the Maxis wires in addition to BATted ones, with a secondary 4-wire pylon inscribed into the custom 6-wire one.

Thanks for the input, Lowkee.  You've given me some good ideas.  ;)

EDIT:

Here's the picture I promised.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Buzzit

why did i never noticed there was posted in here!
what a nice find!
i may even want to model a pylon wich look realistic and functions with these wires!

Lowkee33

Sparked my interest too :)

The foundation there is an issue too.  I quickly made a model with the TGI I referenced in the tutorial (0x0AD80000 and 0x0AD90000), but it doesn't seem to be the pylon's.  The material name for these models are for the subway, but the S3D looks the same.  I may have done something wrong.

Aaron Graham

Is it possable for draggable power lines, what files are they so I can play around with them, to help you guys out. :D

What is the wire file, I have been trying to find that forever with no victory. :(
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Lowkee33

There doesn't seem to be a Power Line Exemplar.  There is the Utilities Exemplar, which can be found in the Navigator under the Simulator tab (Some Pictures).  That exemplar appears to have all of the properties we would need, but they don't seem functional.  &mmm.

My next guess is that the power lines are an effect, and perhaps editable in the Effects Directory.