• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4LTEXTool - Translating made easy!

Started by CasperVg, March 10, 2013, 01:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

Hey all,

After working hard to get the entire NAMv31 translated to Dutch, I finally got fed up with the Reader's LTEXT editing capabilities. They're great if you want to edit a few LTEXTs at once, but the NAM for example contains over 1800 and thus it becomes quite a task to click->translate->click them all individually. So I decided to program a tool that can handle them a bit better and has a lot of batch functionality. Instead of manually editing "Road" to "Weg" 1000 times, you can type it in once and have the tool translate it all at once. Or you can use Java Regular Expressions. It also supports in-line editing and automatic Group ID incrementation (from 0x0 to 0x23 to make a Portuguese translation for example).

But wait, there's more. It can also export LTEXTs to a XML file, and import it again later. Useful for.. I dunno.. I'm sure someone will come up with something  ::)

Changelog:

v1.0pre1
* Private prerelease

v1.0pre2
+ New GID increment system (using two selections, Current Language and Wanted Language)
+ Hotkeys for Save LTEXT (F1), Reset LTEXT (F2), Next LTEXT (PageUp) and Previous LTEXT (PageDown).
+ Added SC4Language class. Will most like change to a ENUM under Stefan's DBPFLText class.
* Many bugs fixed
* Major refactoring of all classes, make them more consistent
- Old GID incrementing system

v1.0pre3
+ XML import/export functionality
* Slightly more robust (thanks riiga!)
* Bugfixes

v1.0pre4
+ Loading/progress indicator
* Bugfixes
* Public prerelease
- Removed load/save buttons, can be found in the top menu

v1.0pre5
+ Improved multithreading
+ Should handle large .dat's better
* Bugfixes

Source-code
Source-code is available here on Bitbucket. Feel free to fork the project if you want to make adjustments.

Credits & thank-you's
CasperVg: programming SC4LTEXTool
Stefan79: for the JDBPF2.0 library
Codehaus: for the XStream library
riiga: code adjustments and ideas
jdenm8: lots of great ideas and suggestions, always willing to help
z / Andreas / memo: ideas and suggestions

Available?
The most current version (v1.0pre5) is available here on Dropbox. Eventually it will be uploaded to the SC4D LEX and possibly other SC4 Exchanges as well. To use it, just unzip and run the executable jar named "SC4LTEXTool.jar". You need a relatively up-to-date version of the Java Runtime to open it (Java SE 6 Update 29+ or Java SE 7 Update 1+)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

gn_leugim

CasperVg

Thanks, gn_leugim! I've finished a few tweaks here and there today, mainly a proper multithreaded solution to the loading/saving-process for .dat files. The SC4LTEXTool should hang less while loading big .dat's (big as in: made with Datpacker, simcity_1.dat, etc.)

I've also moved the source code from Github to Bitbucket, as I prefer their services (and they allow free private repositories, which github doesn't). It can be found here.

The latest binary (to run the LTEXTool) can be found here on Github. Just run the "SC4LTEXTool.jar" to start the program.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube