• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Signage Piece Mod (SPM)--Now SCoPE (Signage and Cosmetic Piece Extension)

Started by Tarkus, April 06, 2008, 08:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

I had almost forgotten I had started this project. :-[  It's what happens when you have 4-5 large transit modding things going on at once.  :D  Rest assured, though, I am going to be going back at this one again here soon.  To answer a few questions:

Quote from: skyliner on April 06, 2008, 10:15:56 PM
I am wondering since it wasn't posted would these signs work also on elevated and ground highways too? I tend to use these quite often ;D

It's certainly possible that they'll be added to the Maxis Ground and Elevated Highways--if not by the first release, by the second.

Quote from: jplumbley on April 07, 2008, 12:20:18 AM
Should have called it Signage Piece Addon Mod... (SPAM)

&idea :D

Well, there's a bit many -AMs out there already (I'm still waiting for some one to propose the AMAM, Addon Mod Addon Mod), and I kinda wanted to stick to my three-letter acronym setup. ::)  Though that is quite apropos . . . 

Quote from: bakerton on April 09, 2008, 09:10:20 PM
would it be possible to have different signs on the same road like when you cross into another state or county or entering a city or a populated area, or have tow signs on the same puzzle piece but on the opposite side of the other sign facing the other direction?

Theoretically, yes.  They won't be included in the base sets, but see below. ;)

Quote from: cammo2003 on April 10, 2008, 12:38:46 AM
One small request, would a RHD version of the Australian signs be possible? Just that EA gave us a RHD game here in Australia...  ::)

Yes, in fact, all the signs that I've included come in RHD and LHD varieties.  There's two separate sets of Type21s in play here, and you can just select which one you want.

I've noticed a few people have been interested in adding/contributing signs and other props to this project, which I think is absolutely awesome.  :thumbsup:  Thank you for your offers! 

Here's my plan.  Once the SPM is closer to an initial release, I will be producing a short and (hopefully) easy-to-follow tutorial which will outline how to configure your signs and props to work with the mod, customize it to your own tastes, and release your own SPM signage/prop add-on sets.  How does that sound?

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

well if I can nail down BAT then I think that would be great there Alex lol.... either way I think that would be cool for anyone who can do it!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bakerton

I must agree to my fellow Wisconsinite. Just take your time with things Alex. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Starmanw402007

What other types of Signs besides Speed Limit Signs are you planning on doing?
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

nerdly_dood

Quote from: Tarkus on May 04, 2008, 09:27:01 PM
Well, there's a bit many -AMs out there already (I'm still waiting for some one to propose the AMAM, Addon Mod Addon Mod), and I kinda wanted to stick to my three-letter acronym setup. ::)  Though that is quite apropos . . .

It seems to me that the Railway Addon Mod is kinda like this kind of AMAM that you mentioned...  ;D
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

deion30296

Those are nice. And make me feel like crap by showing the TLA... That's real nice! :-\ &idea
My Pokemon Brings All the Girls To the Yard
Their like, Do you wanna trade cards?
Damn Right, I wanna trade cards;
I can beat, I've got Charizard
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

j-dub

This project would be great for ja/att, I would like to see their new made signs exemplared so their not lotted.

girlfromverona

This is a really cool project! Anything that makes this game more realistic gets enthusiastic applause from me.  &apls

cammo2003

Oh, a good site for Australian signs would be OzRoads (though I suspect you've already found this one as it's fairly well known).

It should show you how much of a nightmare it is navigating here, we're in the middle of a changeover between route designation systems, some states are complete, some just starting, some haven't started yet.

NSW has one (yes, that's right, one) alphanumeric route signed thus far. And that's only because it's a new road anyway (the road in question is the M7.

deion30296

One question, You could make it possible that these appear next to roads and RHW and avenue all boasting different speed limits. That would make it a bit more realistic and save loads of space. Maybe road has 30 MPH, Avenue 45 MPH, and RHW 80MPH. I put 80 signs on Route A651 and The Sims we're flying by. Maybe it was just my mind playing trick on me. Oh well.  :thumbsdown:

Tarkus

Quote from: deion30296 on June 28, 2008, 07:34:57 AM
One question, You could make it possible that these appear next to roads and RHW and avenue all boasting different speed limits. That would make it a bit more realistic and save loads of space. Maybe road has 30 MPH, Avenue 45 MPH, and RHW 80MPH. I put 80 signs on Route A651 and The Sims we're flying by. Maybe it was just my mind playing trick on me. Oh well.  :thumbsdown:

Well, that is more or less what this project is, except due to the prop families, you don't have to make, for instance, all Avenues 45mph zones--some can be 35 zones, some can be 50 zones, etc.  Heck, you can have signs other than speed signs as well.  I'd suggest re-reading the opening post.

Quote from: j-dub on June 27, 2008, 05:22:11 PM
This project would be great for ja/att, I would like to see their new made signs exemplared so their not lotted.

You were thinking the same thing I was :)  All I'd have to do is add those signs into the Prop Families for the SPM--could even release the exemplars by themselves and have the original sign pack as a dependency.

-Alex (Tarkus)

deion30296

Quote from: Tarkus on June 28, 2008, 06:48:55 PM
Well, that is more or less what this project is, except due to the prop families, you don't have to make, for instance, all Avenues 45mph zones--some can be 35 zones, some can be 50 zones, etc.  Heck, you can have signs other than speed signs as well.  I'd suggest re-reading the opening post.

You were thinking the same thing I was :)  All I'd have to do is add those signs into the Prop Families for the SPM--could even release the exemplars by themselves and have the original sign pack as a dependency.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Ahhhhh, I see. Will these be plopped directly on the road/street/ave/etc? Or will they be next to it? Or will they be T21 Exemplars?

Starmanw402007

WHAT signs are u guys working on for this projects other then the speed limits signs?
Your Friend;

Tarkus

Quote from: Starmanw402007 on June 29, 2008, 09:46:04 AM
WHAT signs are u guys working on for this projects other then the speed limits signs?

Well, I'm not working on anything else besides these speed signs myself.  These are more or less just something to get people started.  The point is that third-party signage can be interfaced to work with the SPM.  It'll probably work out such that the SPM mod itself doesn't include any signs, and the sign packs will be in separate downloads, making the package as modular as possible.

Quote from: deion30296 on June 29, 2008, 09:41:04 AM

Ahhhhh, I see. Will these be plopped directly on the road/street/ave/etc? Or will they be next to it? Or will they be T21 Exemplars?

Well, this is at least partially answered in the very first post of the thread. :)

Quote from: Tarkus on April 06, 2008, 08:20:43 PM
It consists of a series of simple 1x1 puzzle pieces for various networks, which have a Prop Families of signs attached via Type21-exemplar.  This allows users to control precisely where the signs appear, without some of the adverse effects associated with previous attempts at this sort of thing, which were generally done through Transit-Enabled Lots.

They're placed directly onto the road. 

The only drawback with the SPM is that which exact sign appears is more or less a random thing, so you'll likely have to rebuild the piece a few of times in order to get the one you want to show up.  It's really the only way to make a mod like this feasible.

-Alex

deion30296

It's well worth it. The adjacent sign method is a bit tedious in tight spaces such as CBDs.  &apls &apls &apls

Starmanw402007

Thanks for your reply Tarkus, I'm looking forward to more updates. Keep up the Great Work with this project!
Your Friend;

allan_kuan1992

I thought it was only the US, Myanmar, and Liberia?

Traditional units however might be still used in fully metric countries though.

- Allan Kuan

un1

This has probably been asked before but will there be a version for Canadians in Kilometers??

Tarkus

Quote from: un1 on July 26, 2008, 08:32:21 AM
This has probably been asked before but will there be a version for Canadians in Kilometers??

Eventually, yes.  This project, however, is still on the backburner.  Maybe that will change, though. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Patricius Maximus

QuoteWell, that is more or less what this project is, except due to the prop families, you don't have to make, for instance, all Avenues 45mph zones--some can be 35 zones, some can be 50 zones, etc.  Heck, you can have signs other than speed signs as well.

Just like in real life. I've seen some 2-lane roads with a turning lane that had a limit of 50. And I've seen some TLA-7's with a limit of 30. So, the varying signs are a good idea, especially for CBD's.

Tarkus: I fully agree with your apparent priorities. RHW and NWM first, and this one second. The SPM is not as crucial for my regions as the RHW is.