• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Underpass models

Started by noahclem, February 19, 2016, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

In the development of my current city I've come across a problem with the pedestrian area near the very center. I have TIA routes coming out of both ends but wanted them to run underground for a few blocks. I had originally used FLUPs but wanted to avoid them due to the extra flexibility I could get using all those tiles for something else. Also, whenever I have FLUPs under ped malls they are visible even if a building should be covering them, removing the building from view. Is there some kind of LOD thing with that or is it more likely something with my graphics card or something? Would love to resolve it as it reeks havoc on a city center intended to be both pedestrian and functional.

Anyway, main question, where can I find the model used in the tram-in-avenue-to-flup piece? A bunch of similar ones were easily found in LE but couldn't find the TIA version. Am hoping to make a TE version of that and use subway to transfer people between the two portals. Alternately, if the flup graphics problem could be resolved it could be fine to do that and use overhanging buildings.

mgb204

The portals were included in NAM, find them in z___NAM\Mass Transit Lots\Tram Transitions. If you've the older RTMT lots, SLURP should have taken care of them when you installed NAM.

Are you overhanging the models over the FLUPs pieces? I think the NAM pieces are all just regular S3Ds, as such I don't know if they have LODs, they are 3D models. My guess is the height would be determined by the height of the model. Presumably, any properties relating to them are in the effdir files? Have you tried simply increasing the height of the models on them about .1 - .2 in height? Perhaps that would help if they are colliding.

matias93

I had the exactly same issue when ussing FLUP pieces to make a pedestrian city centre: pedmalls showed over the buildings (even the ones that don't overhang) and traffic from beneath the pedmalls could get in and out the surface buildings. At the end, I got over it using traditional tunnels, but it requires more space for ramps and is way less flexible.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

noahclem

This is a good example of what I've been getting:

However the problem can change depending on zooms or rotations, or more importantly, what seems like random chance when I load the tile. Just thought of this now, but could it be similar to the problem of lots without base textures appearing transparent (black) after changing the view in some ways? It only seems to occur with these flup under ped mall pieces, never with conventional ped malls, but it's occurred in a variety of places and with a variety of bats.

Thanks much for your help :)

Swordmaster

Faulty S3D settings. Fixed.

Cheers
Willy

Simcoug

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 19, 2016, 01:08:56 PM
Faulty S3D settings. Fixed.
Cheers
Willy
Excellent!  I actually haven't run into this yet, but some of my long term plans including overhanging models with FLUPs, so I'm excited that this will work.  Thanks!   &apls
(A K point for the fast action, anyone?)   ()stsfd()

noahclem

Fantastic indeed! Certainly makes my current city center look a lot less like a mess (though still very much a mess for the moment).

Quote from: Simcoug on February 19, 2016, 02:10:04 PMExcellent!  I actually haven't run into this yet, but some of my long term plans including overhanging models with FLUPs, so I'm excited that this will work.  Thanks!   &apls
(A K point for the fast action, anyone?)   ()stsfd()

Great idea! I'll leave that to you though--just do your best to maintain the spirit of the SC4D karma system ;)

It's the little "thumbs up" button next to the deserving post

Swordmaster

Ha! Thanks for that Matt ;)

Cheers
Willy