• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

You guys are the best

Started by tomvsotis, October 29, 2016, 03:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

I've had the misfortune to have to spend some time in other forums of late - the Civfanatics forums for Civ VI, the Bethesda forums for Fallout 4, and various subreddits. More than anything, this experience has served to remind me what a uniquely pleasant and lovely forum this one is. No spoiled children condemning a game as "complete garbage" or "cheating us out of money" because something doesn't work like they want it to, no Simpsons comic book guy types sneering at people who don't understand something, no racism, no sexism...

...so yeah, I just wanted to say: don't ever change, SC4Devotion. You guys are the best. This is proof that an internet community CAN exist without devolving into complete obnoxiousness. God - or your choice of deity, or the universe in general - bless y'all <3

Mikey Knox

Wooow, slow down, the best Guy in the World is CLEARLY Alf, then SC4D. And for the other things, thats because SC4 Players are all old Farts who dont have the Energy anymore to rant ;D 

But i agree, the SC4 Com is way more chill than others (must be because of the Game)

noahclem

Quote from: Mikey Knox on October 29, 2016, 03:46:42 PM
thats because SC4 Players are all old Farts who dont have the Energy anymore to rant ;D 

Hehe, some or most of us still have the energy to rant :D  The site's leadership is lucky in that we have an owner that gives us free reign to do as we see will be best for SC4D so most of the thanks should go to jeroni. That said, his generosity has allowed us to run the site with no higher goal than being the best part of the community that we can be. It's a pretty awesome comment if you're enjoying the fruits of our effort :)

APSMS

It's probably partly the noncompetitive nature of the game, but mostly because the Site Admins and moderators that helped establish the communities back in 2003 and 2007 kept a tight lid on things.

There have been some pretty heated moments at both SC4D and ST, and SimPeg was often a place where people banned from both sites could congregate (but they had to be civil there as well; PEG was just a little bit more lenient--and IIRC has a bit of a wry sense of humor, if you've ever seen his work). Generally the desire to avoid political discussions and a soft approach to newer members (the ones with obviously bad city building) helped keep new members and make it possible for old ones to continue without burnout (I think the most common reason for leaving is RL, though burnout has happened in a number of cases).

But its true that every time I visit other community forums, they are simply never as welcoming or accommodating to new users and even for old members can be openly hostile or just generally unpleasant. It could be that unlike SC4 a lot of these games are either strategy (like XCOM & Wargame:RD) or FPS type where conflict is key and the meta ends up forcing good players into one kind of mode, and all other players are hopeless noobs that don't know anything, and this tones the discussion since there is an obviously wrong way to play the game, something that is lacking in plays of SC4.

Either way, it is indeed not other kinds of gaming communities. I miss the quirkiness I could get from occasional visits to SimPeg, but overall it's a nice place to stop in, even if I don't play the game as much as I would like.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation