• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Long time..who's still around?

Started by sithlrd98, June 22, 2015, 06:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

Wow...been awhile since I've been here..looks like things keep going.
Who is still around from when I was active?
What's everyone been up to?

art128

Just when you think people left forever, they start appearing again.   $%Grinno$% :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

belfastsocrates

Quote from: art128 on June 22, 2015, 07:54:21 AM
Just when you think people left forever, they start appearing again.   $%Grinno$% :thumbsup:

The everlasting allure of SC4  :satisfied:

They always come back  :D

Welcome back sithlrd98!
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

sithlrd98

Yeah..SC4 always will have a spot in my heart...haven't fired it up for a long while. Got an automated happy birthday last week and decided to pop in and see whats been going on.Been doing stuff in Android lately.

mgb204

What a coincidence being asked today for the second time about your T21 mods for the road and avenue curves and then suddenly you appear. I'm pretty new around here relatively speaking, but welcome back (however briefly). I know it might be a bit out of the blue, but I'll kick myself If I don't take the opportunity to ask your permission to re-ID your T21 mods so they work with P57 NAM specifications. Re-IDing them is 10m work, but technically without your permission I couldn't release the fixes, would you be OK with this?

sithlrd98

Quote from: mgb204 on June 22, 2015, 11:55:03 AM
What a coincidence being asked today for the second time about your T21 mods for the road and avenue curves and then suddenly you appear. I'm pretty new around here relatively speaking, but welcome back (however briefly). I know it might be a bit out of the blue, but I'll kick myself If I don't take the opportunity to ask your permission to re-ID your T21 mods so they work with P57 NAM specifications. Re-IDing them is 10m work, but technically without your permission I couldn't release the fixes, would you be OK with this?

Wow...people are still using my mods!?! Cool!

Yes, please feel free to do whatever is needed for compatibility!

APSMS

All these legends that left just before (or after) I joined.

Great to see you. Hope you can stay awhile.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Quote from: sithlrd98 on June 22, 2015, 12:23:03 PM
Wow...people are still using my mods!?! Cool!

Yes, please feel free to do whatever is needed for compatibility!

Thanks, I've been toying with updating them for my personal usage, the WRC's are so bare... but it'll be great to know I can release the update for others to make use of too. I'll make sure to credit you, rest assured :).

titanicbuff

I have struck an iceberg and Sank
Titanicbuff
Visit my website at: http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/
RTMT Team Member
NAM Associate

noahclem

Great to see you back again! When I started getting really interested in this site and game I think it was during the tail end of your most active times but your sidewalk mods were critically important and as I saw them basically a dependency of the NAM. I remain more than grateful ;)  Your timing now is somewhat convenient as it coincides with two new techniques for paving over the peripheral areas of puzzle pieces that are both really promising: automation of adding sidewalks to puzzle pieces (and varying grass for that matter) and S3D-based sidewalks, with the ability to vary textures based off of mods installed. There's never been a more exciting time to enjoy sidewalks wherever they are wanted in the way that you pioneered  :bnn:

sithlrd98

Quote from: noahclem on June 22, 2015, 03:13:21 PM
Great to see you back again! When I started getting really interested in this site and game I think it was during the tail end of your most active times but your sidewalk mods were critically important and as I saw them basically a dependency of the NAM. I remain more than grateful ;)  Your timing now is somewhat convenient as it coincides with two new techniques for paving over the peripheral areas of puzzle pieces that are both really promising: automation of adding sidewalks to puzzle pieces (and varying grass for that matter) and S3D-based sidewalks, with the ability to vary textures based off of mods installed. There's never been a more exciting time to enjoy sidewalks wherever they are wanted in the way that you pioneered  :bnn:

Wow...I spent many a nights cussing failed attempt after failed attempt to get NAM pieces to take sidewalks more than the curves,etc...mainly rail stuff. I remember some who are smarter than I getting some dragable networks to be wealth dependent but with limitations. Happy to hear that this may become a reality after all! Me and the model pieces didn't see eye to eye and my max skills are just as pitiful now as they were then. I'd truly be lost with whatever new acronyms have been implemented since the last time I had any city open! I gave up trying to run SC4 with the like 3gb of plugins but every now and again am tempted to reinstall on my ROG just to see if it'll even run it!

mgb204

I've had the goal of making custom sidewalks more accesible since I really got into playing, only now after a year or more working on them one way or another have I finally got the holy grail (IMO). One way or another, users should be free to select whatever sidewalk they want without compromising on the uniformity of the NAM.

I'm sure sidewalk compliant S3D's (in the vain of the Japanese NAM Facelift Mod) will become more prevalent as time goes on, but in the meantime, a solution is needed. Rather than having to make these textures from scratch, the entire NAM 32 texture set can now all be auto-generated, you just supply the Sidewalk and Grass textures you want them to show, the rest is all done for you. RC1 has just been finished in the last 10m or so :D.

SC4 runs pretty sweet on a modern PC, so long as your GPU drivers can still support DX9 features needed to render in DirectX mode. Usually this can be fixed with using older drivers, but the issue seems only to affect GPUs from the last 12-18 months from all the reports.

mrbisonm

Quote from: sithlrd98 on June 22, 2015, 06:54:58 AM

I guess I was here a few years before you came, and I am still somewhat active, showing up almost every day. Besides I became a member when only about 70 members were registered.........now wait a minute........that explains my beard getting white... ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

sithlrd98

Quote from: mgb204 on June 22, 2015, 05:59:00 PM
I've had the goal of making custom sidewalks more accesible since I really got into playing, only now after a year or more working on them one way or another have I finally got the holy grail (IMO). One way or another, users should be free to select whatever sidewalk they want without compromising on the uniformity of the NAM.

I'm sure sidewalk compliant S3D's (in the vain of the Japanese NAM Facelift Mod) will become more prevalent as time goes on, but in the meantime, a solution is needed. Rather than having to make these textures from scratch, the entire NAM 32 texture set can now all be auto-generated, you just supply the Sidewalk and Grass textures you want them to show, the rest is all done for you. RC1 has just been finished in the last 10m or so :D.

SC4 runs pretty sweet on a modern PC, so long as your GPU drivers can still support DX9 features needed to render in DirectX mode. Usually this can be fixed with using older drivers, but the issue seems only to affect GPUs from the last 12-18 months from all the reports.

I'll have to take a look...been so long,I'm sure It's going take a few times for me to understand! Hahahaha

Back in November,I bought myself a couple of toys.1 being a i7 ROG with a Geforce 970M...pure overkill for SC4 but heaven for Photoshop and Android stuff!

Quote from: mrbisonm on June 22, 2015, 06:43:13 PM

I guess I was here a few years before you came, and I am still somewhat active, showing up almost every day. Besides I became a member when only about 70 members were registered.........now wait a minute........that explains my beard getting white... ;)

Fred

Yeah...I remember you.I came over from ST not long after the doors officially opened here.

catty

Nice to see you back, I'm not as active on this site anymore (have my own website) but still a RTMT Team Member so come back for that as this is our home site.

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Haljackey

Hi Sith!

I'm still around, but not as active as I used to be. Cities: Skylines is my main city-builder for the time being, but I have no plans to stop playing SC4.

SimCity V6

Of course I'm still here. Haven't been doing the game for a while, as the computer I play SC4 (a laptop with a cracked screen, never fixed) is a bit sloggy and time-consuming for me to play, while my main computer is a Mac. I didn't get on the Cities: Skylines bandwagon and I probably won't for a long time, SimCity is just better (for me). This will all change once I build a PC for myself, and do everything (install more stuff, record videos of it, make more maps for The Sims 2, play the "multiplayer", and maybe even start a Mayor Diary and begin modding).

Anyways, I'm happy that all of you folks are here, and I hope we all can take our time to continue what we were doing here before. It's time!  :bnn:

cirocirociro

Still around  &hlp
Maybe isn't the right place to ask but....for playing Simcity4 with a lot of plugins, which prerequisistes  a PC should have?

mgb204

I found older Core2Duo and Core2Quad chips are a bit underpowered and struggle when you push the plugins, however any of the newer Core i Generations would give decent performance. 4GB Ram is a must, GPU doesn't really matter so long as it's not decrepit or suffer from driver problems/incompatibility with DirectX 9 (note: this is an issue with some newer hardware). An SDD helps with loading times mostly, but does seem to keep the game running smoother.