• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omgitskosc

That's one awesome can of whoop ass.  :thumbsup:

fantozzi

Whoop-Ass is simply great!

10 years I was living close to the "Wild-Werke" (yes: wild factory), which is part of the Archer Daniels Midland group and produces mainly fruit concentrates for soft drinks. And believe it or not - in those entire 10 years I never saw any fruit truck going inside the factory. But we had the best smelling sewers of whole germany. Sometimes, early in the morning in winter, a warm vapor of peach and passion fruit came from all the gullies of the town.

But why I was remembered now?

EDIT
My translation tool didn't give a propper translation for "whoop ass". The meaning is the sauce is spicy on both ends?

mattb325

Thanks all

@fantozzi; yes in one sense it does mean spicy at both ends, but I believe the american saying is to 'open up a can of whoop-ass', which is slang for delivering a beating  ;)

@art128; when I was a full-time student (we're talking many decades ago in the 1980s, lol), IKEA released the LACK side table. I bought it for I think, $7.99 to furnish the 1st place I ever lived in on my own. After moving at least 20 times since then, I still have it in a spare room and it still looks new...  :o

I have uploaded the research center building from a lot of pages ago. I fixed the issue with the FAR-3 overhanging lot that caused it to sit in the dead-zone of the FAR-3 road and therefore not provide any jobs.

Together with ped-malls and other small park/plaza filler pieces, you can use the FAR-3 overhanging version to make some seriously non-grid roads. Click to enlarge:

It's available here:
https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3743

EDIT by Andreas: Fixed LEX link

PaPa-J

Again, another suburb creation.  I love your FAR-3 Creations.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Kitsune

Oh nice building ! +5 science .. dunno where the district is ;) :D
~ NAM Team Member

Simmer2

Well done Matt. Perhaps I could couple it with my Saturn V display assembly!

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Tyberius06

Wow, another nice FAR release!
Also I love your housing projects on the previous pages! :) Those will be great additions too! :)
Thanks for making them!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mattb325

Thanks all

Another FAR-3 buildings is released. It's the elementary school from heaps of pages ago. The front of the building draws partial inspiration from a junior school in London's Highgate.

In the pic below (click to enlarge), you can see the full lot version + the FAR-3 overhang, which I have just decorated with various basic parks/ped mall pieces to show how easy it is to create a grid-breaking lot in game without ever having to touch the fiddly lot-editor....

Available here:
https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3746

matias93

Can we please take a moment to appreciate that the images look like they were photographs taken with a drone camera?? Don't know if it's the colour or the shadows, but is uncannily realistic!

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

FrankU

Yes I agree. Incredible work!

fantozzi

Happy new year. Wish you the best for 2019. Health, inspiration and humor in troubled times.

Looking back on 2018 - thank you so much for the monumental work, you illuminated some dark corners of the game added not only beautyfull bats but also clever solutions for gaming. By now you're collection should be the largest and broadest of all custom content creators of all times (and different to other games regarding SC4 "all times" means something) and therefore you should be entitled "Grandmaster Matt".

mattb325

Thanks for the nice comments matias93, franku and fantozzi. Happy new year  ;D

Quote from: fantozzi on January 03, 2019, 01:26:43 AM
(...) humor in troubled times.

Amen to that!  :thumbsup:

Most of the architecture in London is quite dumpy and heavy-set, and I found a little building that will neatly cap-off W2W streets. But the real bonus is that one of the main tenants who occupies the space is called Price and Wallace Networking, I couldn't resist giving the building a special sign:

The 3ds license ends next week, so we'll see if 3ds 2016/2017 actually works for me......otherwise, end of an era ???

matias93

Nice building! Midrises are always scarce...
About the license thing, if the worst happens, what about going back to Gmax? From CT14's dev thread I got the impression that you still have the abilities to use it pretty much intact (even if you said the opposite :P )

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Simmer2

Quote from: matias93 on January 03, 2019, 07:50:41 PM
Nice building! Midrises are always scarce...
About the license thing, if the worst happens, what about going back to Gmax? From CT14's dev thread I got the impression that you still have the abilities to use it pretty much intact (even if you said the opposite :P )

Hi matias93

That would be like asking Matt to drive a Fiat 500 after driving a Lamborghini Murcielago for so many years....

Hi Matt

I truly hope your new upgrade works with the old BATmax.

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

fantozzi

Poor me. I'm driving a "GMAX"

We should do a crowd funding to hire a developer who can update the Bat4Max application. I don't know, if SimFox left it open source to the community? Or we should go searching for a developer. Maybe we should open a thread to discuss this?

Imho batting can only survive if it is possible with newer hard- and software. Current tools may even attract new players/developers. It's something crucial. At a certain point you can't step the ladder back down - you'll fall into the void.

mattb325

Thanks guys!

You manage to get gmax to drive like it has an internal combustion engine?

A young mattb325 takes gmax for its first spin

But honestly, all things end...SC4 websites could be taken down, desktop PCs become obsolete (at work, 'generation Z' as they are called, are as desktop PC illiterate as 70 year-olds were back in the 1990s. Sure these kids are tech-savvy, but files/folders/keyboards & mice tethered to a machine, are completely alien to them. I kid you not, they will send work emails from their smart phones even though they are sitting at their desk with their computer on.  $%Grinno$%) It's just life.

But I'm sure it won't come to that and I'll be able to get 3ds working for a while longer.

That may buy a few more years for this old game, but BAT4Max will become completely obsolete from 2020. The current 3ds rendering engine is called 'Mental Ray' and BAT4Max works only with this: autodesk has phased Mental Ray out and the new rendering engine is known as 'Arnold'. There is talk of trying to get an application like blender to be able to stand in for 3ds, but as far as I know, it is still just talk.

Anyway, after a brief sojourn in Sydney, I am back at the computer I use to play SC4, so I whipped up another building that can be used to cap off W2W streets. It's based on a real building in Washington DC, but I took heaps of liberties with it....

Even if the worst case scenario occurs and I can't get 3ds max working, I think I still have approx 15-20 buildings still to release in the coming weeks (after I take a small summer vacation in RL)

omgitskosc

Looks like a perfect buildings for those soulless American suburban office parks. :P

Kitsune

I never use night mode ... but those nite lights are incredible.
~ NAM Team Member

mattb325

Thanks guys! As the building is from Washington DC, "soulless" is a very apt description. :D

The reason I went to D.C. was to do the National Geographic Building. I'm surprised no-one ever did it before, given how prevalent their media presence is and has been throughout history, and how straight-forward the building is to model (it took twice as long to render as it did to model).

This building style is called 'new formalism': a style of american civic architecture in the 1950's and 1960's. You can also see the building that distracted me....  ::)

PaPa-J

Some really great buildings Matt.  Your work is impeccable.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.