• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your small towns

Started by wouanagaine, January 31, 2007, 05:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubby420

Very cool stuff. Now that I know what inspired the shot, I'm kind of interested in giving this kind of city a whirl. I'm not usually one for this type of style, but that certainly is a fantastical concept and got my mind racing. I think it'd be interesting to see how it could work with one monolithic structure surrounded by sprawling concentric circles of tightly controlled dystopian development. Think City 17 from Half-Life 2:

MOD Edit, I changed your pictures in thumbnails since they're not from SC4 and are quite large. A discussion is great and very appreciated, but try to keep non SC4 images as small as possible, especially if they're really beautiful :)

canyonjumper

Amazing shots guys! Especially Blake and Casper, really excellent!
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Nexis4Jersey

A Small warm up town i'm doing , phase 1

jijdlswns

oh that blue house town is so cute~!!!    :thumbsup:

cubby420

Hey everybody. I wanted to gather some opinions on the following image. It compiles a few older pics I took of an area I am still fine tuning. As part of a compilation of MD content, I have created the following shot that is sort of a chamber of commerce advertisement/postcard for those visiting or looking to take a lazy vacation visit to the village of Torri in my region. Would you visit this sleepy burg known for its b&bs, small town charm, riverwalk, and coastal isolation?

TiFlo

Sooooooo.... where do we call to make a reservation for an upcoming weekend vacation?
Joke aside, the four pictures look great! May we see more?

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

kbieniu7

Quote from: TiFlo on August 25, 2010, 08:23:19 PM
Sooooooo.... where do we call to make a reservation for an upcoming weekend vacation?
Joke aside, the four pictures look great! May we see more?

Or, how could we get there?  $%Grinno$%
Great-made picture!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

noahclem

I agree, looks like a great place to visit (and a well-done city). Since you asked for a critical eye I tried doing so--the only thing I would suggest is to SAM-ify your streets, maybe with asphalt or the gray stone. That's just a matter of taste though. Excellent shots!  :thumbsup:

cubby420

Thank you all for the comments. If you want to see more, first of all that makes me very happy and I appreciate the sentiment. Secondly, you'll have to wait for my forthcoming MD, which should be arriving within the month. Can't you feel the hype machine churning?!?!  ::)  ::)  ::)

Quote from: noahclem on August 26, 2010, 02:38:31 AM
Since you asked for a critical eye I tried doing so--the only thing I would suggest is to SAM-ify your streets, maybe with asphalt or the gray stone.

I have often thought about this for some areas. My only concern is the limits imposed by SAM's lack of integration with the SFBT street tree mod - to this day my favorite cosmetic sc4 mod. Does anyone know a workaround short of doing the painful work of adding such details myself, a task for which I am woefully under-skilled? I have seen that jeronij has a version of his sidetreet mod designed specifically for SAM. Would this interact as poorly with the SFBT mod as I think, both in functionality and looks?

travismking

\o/ Ive been hoping you would decide to start an MD so I can see more of your work :) and to answer your question I dont think they would work very well together, but Ive never used them together

noahclem

I suspect the two wouldn't work well together either, which is a shame. I had looked into changing my streets so they had hableurg's asphalt textures by default some time back (would that work with the SFBT street mod?) but lost most of my free time shortly after--i'd (or you'd) have to re-IID everything as instructed here:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1617.msg322335#msg322335

Just a stab in the dark but you never know I guess. Good luck with your MD, I look forward to it  :)

Andreas

Quote from: cubby420 on August 26, 2010, 08:40:18 AM
I have often thought about this for some areas. My only concern is the limits imposed by SAM's lack of integration with the SFBT street tree mod - to this day my favorite cosmetic sc4 mod. Does anyone know a workaround short of doing the painful work of adding such details myself, a task for which I am woefully under-skilled? I have seen that jeronij has a version of his sidetreet mod designed specifically for SAM. Would this interact as poorly with the SFBT mod as I think, both in functionality and looks?

The SFBT Steet Tree Mod will be updated for the SAM as well. Some German users at SimForum provided me with new T21 exemplar files and parking lot props, but so far, I didn't have a chance to test them and integrate them properly into the mod. It's on my list, though, like quite a few other things - if only RL wouldn't get in the way that often...  :-[
Andreas

namspopof

Little village somewhere in south of France.

STRATEGIUM ALLIANCE
The French site for strategic simulation in real time, member of French associative network Jeux-Stratégie.com
My BAT for SC4
ToutSimCitiesFrench site for SC4.

samerton

Well.. namspopof.. I think you've mastered the great art of rural SimCity 4! Another great picture!

adrianor

A small colonialish town. I don't know if you can see the church... :)

cubby420

Wow, excellent pic adrianor! You use the blurred focus to great effect.

??? I think I see the church...

Andreas: I must have missed your reply before. I am very excited at the prospect of seeing a SAM version of your street mod. No rush but...I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!!!  $%Grinno$% Seriously though, any way I can help bring this mod to fruition?

Andreas

Quote from: cubby420 on September 08, 2010, 05:26:45 PM
Seriously though, any way I can help bring this mod to fruition?

At the moment, not really. For mods like those, the most time-consuming thing is 1) creating the actual files (which has been done since a while for most items) and 2) weeding out the bugs (which is somewhat complicated, as you have to edit the files and restart the game to see how it works countless times - still in progress), and then of course there is 3) packaging (won't take that long). Thing is, I rarely have some free time for a couple of hours straight (which is required for proper bugfixing), hence it's taking so long, unfortunately.
Andreas

greckman

I thought I'd show a couple of my small towns.

This is Redding...

And here's Hanover (not quite yet finished)...

CLICK to see my MD on SC4D: Towncrafter's World - The Cities and Towns of greckman

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.